DieBie JTAG 12s BMS | Gauging Interest | NONPROFIT

Jippi! There is light!

But…

I cannot find the USB-port in the VESC Tool. I use version 0.82 on MacOs. Does anyone have experience with this on a Mac?

4 Likes

You probably need to grab the USB drivers from here. Had the same issue on Windows and Mac.

1 Like

Just curious - is this still valid? I couldn’t find any other references to this. The latest version would also work?

Yes. The VESC Tool asks a connected VESC for its firmware version, each version of the VESC Tool only supports a subset of all firmwares. If the VESC Tool detects a version that it doesn’t support it will limit capability to firmware upgrades only. It won’t allow you to send terminal commands as required to setup the DieBieMS.

It just so happens the current DieBieMS firmware reports itself as a VESC with a firmware version (cant remember FW version) that is supported by the VESC Tool v0.82.

1 Like

If you give me few days to finish off my exams I can email it to you.

1 Like

@lock thank you very much for the explanation. I understand!

@fedestanco would be perfect if you could provide the Linux version :smiley:

These little connectors for power and led on the BMS, are these JST SH 1mm or JST GH 1.25mm? These appears a bit smaller than the hall sensor plugs on my motor.

Not complaining but it would be nice if it was JST PH 2mm to match the VESC 6.0.

I can email you the windows version if it helps

1 Like

— BMS Configuration — NoOfCells : 10 batteryCapacity : 9.00Ah cellHardUnderVoltage : 2.300V cellHardOverVoltage : 4.400V cellSoftUnderVoltage : 2.500V cellSoftOverVoltage : 4.100V cellBalanceStart : 3.800V cellBalanceDiffThreshold : 0.010V CAN ID : 10 — End BMS Configuration —

-----Battery Pack Status----- Pack voltage : 39.31V Pack current : 0.01A State of charge : 0.1% Remaining capacity : 0.01Ah Operational state : External (USB or CAN) Load voltage : 0.00V Cell voltage high : 3.950V Cell voltage low : 3.934V Cell voltage average : 3.943V Cell voltage mismatch : 0.015V Discharge enabled : False Charge enabled : False —End Battery Pack Status—

Thanks to @chinzw and a borrowed windows computer I got connected! Some questions though.

1. It says “State of charge” 0.01% when then pack voltage is at 39.31V. It seems wrong comparing screenshots from JTAG.
  2. I connected my charger which serves 41.7V but the status says “Charge enable: False”. I read that @JTAG recommended was it 3-5 V above the full charge voltage you wanted. In my case I set the Soft Over Voltage to 41, then maybe I should have had a charge serving around 45V?
  3. Any recommendations for a new charger? :grimacing:
  4. Does it say “Charge enabled: False” because it does not sense that the charger is connected when the battery voltage is at 39.31V?
  5. Does it do balancing only when “Charge enable: True”?

Quick reply to myself. I was in config mode as I had connected the USB first. Setting the charging first, then the USB it went in the charge mode. “State of charge: 0.4%” seems odd though?

Edit: State of charge changed to 100% after charging :grinning:

-----Battery Pack Status----- Pack voltage : 39.68V Pack current : 1.91A State of charge : 0.4% Remaining capacity : 0.04Ah Operational state : Charging Load voltage : 0.00V Cell voltage high : 3.986V Cell voltage low : 3.972V Cell voltage average : 3.980V Cell voltage mismatch : 0.014V Discharge enabled : False Charge enabled : True —End Battery Pack Status—

1 Like

Suggestions are always welcome. PH2.0 take up more space and PH1.25 cable are dirty cheap. In fact I sent 3 of them with each bms so any user should not have to buy more. Haven’t you received them?

No, just the Molex. No JST-GH 1.25mm cables or connectors came with it. PH is 2.0mm.

At least I know what size to buy, so I will do that now.

I am very sorry. I thought everybody received them. I’ll be ordering some some for you also when the next batch comes.

@fedestanco, Well damn, you were right. I went back to have a look through the drawer to see if I can find said wires and connectors amongst the parts and behold, I found three of it.

Friendly design feedback incoming…

If you are doing next batch, could you move the balance molex connector over in between the + and - battery terminals instead of leaving it on the side?

That would be a more natural position due to the location of the battery.

Next batch? Are you going for another run? I would love if you could sell another one or two

Yes, there will be a new thread with a new google form in the next hours.

3 Likes

@fedestanco That sounds great! I´ve been waiting for this comment of yours since the beginning of this year :sweat_smile:. could you post in this thread when you open up the new thread with the google form since i get an Email notification with every new post in this thread? I definately don´t want to miss out on the new batch :slight_smile: Great work :+1:

2 Likes

I bought one of the leftover unpopulated PCBs, I don’t suppose you could PM me that BOM? Thanks :slight_smile:

You can grab it straight from jtag’s GitHub repo.

1 Like

Thanks! fedestanco mentioned changes to the BOM, were this just functional identical alternatives to mange cost or improvements?