DieBie JTAG 12s BMS | Gauging Interest | NONPROFIT

I can help you figure it out… I’ll need one to test though cough cough :grin:

1 Like

If you need help i can help you out through skype/hangouts. I’ve got my bms setup and working.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in knowing how to unbrick one of these… I swear I haven’t busted one yet :grimacing:

I have one of those mini ST-Link V2 USB sticks; just no idea how to connect it and what to watch out for. For example I know with the VESC you have to be careful not to connect up the VCC pin from the ST-Link, that sort of thing.

I’d like to add firmware update capability to that command line app, and given my track record with all things software it’s unlikely to work first time. Not working in this instance probably means I’ll be turning one of these into a brick (and then hopefully fixing).

I would order a PCB if there is one left. Thanks for letting me know.

You mean bare pcbs like these? https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/diebie-jtag-12s-bms-gauging-interest-nonprofit/20947/336?u=fedestanco

You can connect both 3v and ground safely if you unplug the battery and the balance cables.

1 Like

Yes. A bare PCB is fine.

I want this so much, any update on when it’ll be sold as a completed thing? At the moment i’m charging my LiPO’s separately, and holding out for this monument of gloriousness.

1 Like

Also very much interested in this BMS, it looks incredible. Almost finished modelling my board, next up is an electronics buying-spree :).

@riva_00 @amees_me We don’t know enough about reliability yet to run another, bigger batch right away.

For example it’d be interesting to know how 12s is holding up; we opted for irfs7530 which has proven to fail usually when used on antisparks at 12s. But since @JTAG has redesigned the precharge in a new different way, these 60v mosfets should work just fine. If I am not wrong @lock you were running 12s, have you managed to blow something?

Not yet :wink:

Worked fine with 12s in my load testing, but that was with a maximum of 6a. Also, using A123 cells means my 12s pack is more like an 11s pack in terms of voltage.

Just waiting on a few bit from Shapeways so I can finally finish the board and get some real world testing done. Should only be a week or two, but I’ve been saying that for months :weary:.

1 Like

I’ll test the SHIT out of one, if I can get ahold of one lol. My packs are huge, and kinda old so it might actually be a good idea (wink wink). Could get some real stress test results!!

1 Like

Any more news? Really need one of these. Willing to pay extra to have one made ASAP.

Haven’t killed mine yet, although it really hasn’t been pushed hard. Auto off is nice, kind of wish my remote did the same. OLED display is hard to see in direct sunlight, but that’s not really the BMS’ fault.

The PCB has a buzzer, but I’ve never heard it make a sound. Is this expected?

3 Likes

Yeah haven’t implemented the buzzer yet :grimacing:.

And yeah, we should look for I2C E-Ink displays !!!

Some kind of startup chime (ala Window’s sound) and shutdown would be great. That way when it shuts down it’ll alert me and I can double check I’ve turned off the remote too. Maybe a beep if the battery gets below 10% or so… Actually, pretty much any event could have its own special sound/beep (I have no idea what sounds the buzzer is capable of producing). Also my BMS is inside a box, and that box is inside my enclosure, so it may not be audible anyway.

Funny that, just had a look around and there are several e-ink displays that would seem to be close to working (i2c, but diff resolution). I don’t see the slow refresh rate being an issue with what a BMS would display either. I once had a phone with an e-ink display, one charge would last a week, the only issue was that when it died you’d never know as it kept displaying whatever was last on the screen :joy:.

1 Like

off topic: The newest maytech remote (proven reliable) has a auto-off feature. After 5min of lack of connection to the board it shuts down.

Looking forward to the public release of the DieBie JTAG BMS :slight_smile:

1 Like

SHARE LINKS! :grimacing:

stil on crowdfunding stage though

So there’s this. At first look I thought it used the same driver as the oled (ssd1306), but it’s using the ssd1606 and I’m guessing that means you’d need to use a new graphics lib.

You’d also need to slow down the screen updates to once every second. But the bigger issue I see with these eink displays is that they seem to come and go. Whereas those $4 oled displays are available pretty much everywhere.