DieBie JTAG 12s BMS | Gauging Interest | NONPROFIT

that is exactly what I do when I hear you shipped a board to someone…

That is going to be nice! All the possibilities!

@fedestanco To be prepared I need to get the needed hardware to connect to the BMS. I have tried to search and find the info, but did not succeed.

1. The screw terminals: Are the screws included, if not what diameter and type fits?
  2. What type of “cable shoe” fits?
  3. What type of connector is needed for the balance wires?

Other stuff I need to get a hold on?

I am looking forward to this piece of hardware (and firmware)! Thanks for all the great work both of you.

What would help kickstart development is a really simple proof of concept app that communicates with the BMS via USB (?). Doesn’t need a UI, could simply write some hardcoded params from PC to the BMS, and read the same params back. Could be in any language, but preferably one without an expensive development environment. I imagine there’s a few people round here that could take it forward from that point.

1. the treaded hole is 5mm, so any 5mm (metric thread) screw will do the job. A lot of amps will flow through that link so you really want to be able to tighten it properly; hex screws may be more appropriate. 2)anything rated according to your current needs with a 5mm hole 3)balance cable is included, custom made. This is where the extra 4€ have gone. You will receive 4 cables: balance, on-off, display, canbus.

As I told you the fuse was totally out of budjet so it will not be included.

@solbergen few people are already in the waiting list; if you PM me some details about the project and company (to make sure you are seriously interested in SW development and not just a random dude) I may decide to lend you one of my 2 boards for a limited amount of time, so that you are covered while you get few boards manufactured (pcbway.com)

1 Like

Hey @JTAG your devolpment on these things is just amazing, great work! I’m just curious on why you opted for a STM32F4 microcontrollers instead of something like a F1 or even a small 8 bit IC because of the low CPU load a BMS has? Also you should go with the IRFS7730 instead of the 7734 it’s RDSon is only 1.7-2 instead of the like 3Mohms the 34 has. Other than that it looks awesome and I think the DIY community really needs a good DIY BMS.

Are there still units available? I want to buy one.

I am definitely interested in picking one up whenever the next round is produced.

Do we have any news? Where are we standing now?

Ups was faster than expected: today the package landed in Rome and I wasn’t home, so tomorrow or monday I will receive the package. I will ask a confirmation for your address via email, so check your inbox this weekend.

1 Like

Awesome news! That was really quick :slight_smile:

Hi guys I owe you an update:

This week UPS had one internal strike so the pcbs came in only today.

Both assembly and pcb quality is astonishing at the first look; those yamaha pick and place machines did a very good job.

Furthermore the screwholders assembly is no more a problem: this is all what it takes: (m4 screw and m4 bolt)

Although I have an exam on tuesday, I can ship non programmed pcbs on monday. If you want it programmed and with screwholders installed, please wait few more days.

4 Likes

Daaaaaaaaayum son :upside_down: :nerd:.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure we can all get the screw holders in ourselves. I would focus on programming mainly.

yeah never mind the screw holder installation, just include the hardware. I don’t have a programmer so firmware is a must.

Second @longhairedboy

And they look nice! Can’t wait!

Nice one, take your time and good luck in your exams :shamrock:

Guys please don’t underestimate the screw terminals. They should be pressfit, that is not a trivial job and doing it different then decent will make the experience less pleasant/optimal (applying the wrong method of stress to the PCB will likely damage it).

Alright, It sounds like I want @fedestanco doing ahead of posting :wink:

I will want the screw holder installation done before shipping.

So close that I can almost smell it! :nose:

Hello @fedestanco

I don’t think we would have a problem with some more days. Do your studies for the exams, that is much more important than some pcb-s, even I would love to have my DieBieMS in my hands.

Guys, who cares if we have to wait some more days? We didn’t order them yesterday, does it really mater if it takes a bit more?

@JTAG I do agree with you, that wrongly used forces on the pcb can damage it, and I guess most people here don’t have a clue how to make a decent fit. Most people can’t change a lightbulb in a car, how would they manage this? … :slight_smile:

2 Likes