Did I fuck up my motor?

I bought 2 motor pulleys, and one of them didn’t fit even after putting all of my body weight trying to force it in. I ended up hammering it in, and that worked, but now my motor has resistance to it. Is there any way to fix this, or did I fuck up my motor?

What are the results of a hand-test?

https://forum./t/how-to-hand-test-a-bldc-motor/568

5 Likes

It fails test 1. About 50% of the motor spins normally without resistance, the remaining 50% feels rough and requires more force to move.

Then you will need to figure out why, which will almost certainly involve taking the motor apart. It may be bearings needing to be replaced, it may be broken magnets. It’s probably not an electrical problem unless you broke the sensor assembly and it’s lodged in there somehow.

I hope you like circlips. :smiling_imp:

6 Likes

No way to tell what damage there is to the motor unless you open it.

P.S. Don’t use a hammer to open it. lol

3 Likes

LMAO I’ll try opening it later then

1 Like

You need a circlip tool. Nothing else will allow you to take it apart and put it back together. When you put it back together, bolt the stator onto a motor mount when you put the bell on, because it will slam together so hard it’s liable to take a finger off. Hold the motor mount and not the stator.

6 Likes

Now that I think about it, there were small pieces of metal coming off while I was hammering it. It probably managed to get stuck inside of the motor. I’ll get a circlip tool on Amazon and try to see what’s wrong

2 Likes

Will this work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TG80SY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_x6iUCb1JP16CR

1 Like

So I switched both of the motor cups (is that the word?) of my working motor and this motor with resistance, and now both cups have no resistance. I don’t know why that worked, but hey, I saved some money. The only downside is that one motor has a slight clicking sound when it spins sometimes, any clue how I could fix that? I don’t really need to, but it’s annoying haha

Nvm I just kept on reinserting the motor cup and the clickiness went away. So glad I didn’t have to buy a new motor

Never hammer a pulley on a motor shaft or you will fuck your bearings. Been there done that with just a little tap. While you have the cans off make damn sure theres no metal in any of them. Check the stator too. One errant sliver can cause all kinds of damage. If the pulley won’t fit then use a cylindrical file or if its very much too small then a drill press to enlarge the hole.
Forums all about bearings today

1 Like