Decks...To flex or not to flex wouldn't that be nice

I like this idea and got one in return : what about a stack of electro magnets in rails?

String 2 or 3 rails (carbon or alu) accross the deck, cut in small pieces as to allow full flex of the deck. Each separate piece brings its own electro magnet. Current OFF, no stiffness and full flex. Current ON, full stiffness and no flex.

Add a controller able to read VESC motor speed, so it manages current Flux accordingly and you obtain progressive OTG flex / stiffen directly based on your speed without needing to manually adjust. Of course you can program it so it stiffens early or late based on your choice.

Howā€™s that?

Edit : one downside is added weight though.

2 Likes

Hey there @Vanarian how much weight are we talking about?

I like your ideaā€¦ conceptā€¦ simply for its creativity an innovation to know howā€¦ or WTF lol There is the cost of the solution as apposed to one likeā€¦ ā€œhaving a board with changeable beams of varied flexibilityā€

To have the ability to vary the flex would ideally be built into a production board. How I donā€™t know or with whatā€¦ lol

If you had say a GTX then you would want to mod it for stability at higher speeds.

1 Like

Well (Iā€™d need prĆ©cise numbers) weā€™re talking about magnets strong enough to fight against lateral force (body weight) minus deck resistance + either a sorta buck converter from main battery or a separate battery with enough punch to power the rails for the whole ride :thinking:

With a dedicated deck and inserts in the wood (kinda like a squeleton) one can use more magnets of smaller size and discard the rails, so you save weight.

You can also use the rail with small pieces of enclosure so it serves both for stiffening and electronics, it helps somehow.

But As is Iā€™d say ballpark 2kg more minimum for everything, excluding the extra battery pack.

It can definitely be shaved down but thatā€™s kinda a safe estimation I think.

1 Like

2kgā€¦a significant amountā€¦ but if it became necessary I dare say a few of us could do with loosing that amountā€¦lol

What about funding? How much would it cost for 2 prototypesā€¦ Just in case one went boomā€¦ so to speakā€¦ Insuranceā€¦ incase we knock out any essential services on test runsā€¦ EMFā€™s yesā€¦no?

We could donate our boards for the greater good.

Could we run the magnets in say a 1 inch band down the rails underneath the deck?

Or ā€œI think having a board with changeable beams of varied flexibility will be the easier way outā€

Below is a picture of tubular subframe connectors used to stiffen the chassis of a 66 mustang! The tubular design resists torsional forcesā€¦much better than square.

Inkedsubframe-connector-2_LI

Run several loops nylon cable lengthwise on the bottom of the deck, taught but under no tension. This is your flex mode. To increase tension and stiffness, tighten the cables in a tourniquet like fashion, stick the rod between the cable loops and twist.

Cheap and easy proof of concept. But I suspect after a few weeks, you might find itā€™s not a feature you use very often.

2 Likes

Well I have no idea how much is needed (didnā€™t dig too much yet), but after more thought it might be doable at under 1kg + battery and not much expensive :wink:

either use big magnets and long rails (like 5 segments) = super strong, easy to build and mount but heavier

Or use many small magnets and small rails (like 20-30 segments) = still super strong, more compact and lighter but a pain to assemble!

Edit : Iā€™d do it for the sake of science but lack the time to test it right now.

1 Like

I like this idea, if we can route the cables in the deck with a fast actuator type motor and the same stiffen as speed rises control, it might be lightweight and efficient :+1:

Would it require one leg or would you need two? Or could you do it with one and not need two?

It would be very popular with the Opus Dei advocatesā€¦

Great work @Jmding keep them cumming :joy:

Here is an article on a newish metamaterial tech.

The University of Michigan team says its new metamaterial specializes in switching its surface between hard and soft states. Applying a small amount of strain allows that stiffness to be changed by several orders of magnitude, without damaging or weakening the material itself. ā€œThe novel aspect of this metamaterial is that its surface can change between hard and soft,ā€ says Xiaoming Mao, lead author of the study. ā€œUsually, itā€™s hard to change the stiffness of a traditional material. Itā€™s either hard or soft after the material is made.ā€

A short article by Skate the Planetā€¦information source Transworld buyers guide.

Ten technologies that are out there and which companies are pushingā€¦

http://www.skate-the-planet.com/articles/deckTech.html

Helium by Element yyrtuw

No to sound dumb or anything, but wouldnā€™t a solution like trampa has with the flex bridge allow for flexi riding (bridge removed) and stiff riding (bridge installed) all with the addition/ removal of only 4 screws?

3 Likes

Post it here please :heart:

It gives you the optionā€¦

The capability has to become the norm at some stage?

Iā€™ve never tried carving on anything but a flex deck GTXā€¦but going over 30 Km + it not onā€¦lol

Will have the hummie deck soonā€¦:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the postā€¦well spoted from Malta 30 pound

2 Likes

So when installed it would look like this (minus the handle) they suggest that you can use an adhesive if you want the absloute best results, but i see no issue in using only the four bolts so secure it to your deck. The addition of it to your deck would stiffen it (by how much would depend on the ply you chose) and the removal of it would return your deck to its previous (flexible) state.

If not this exact product im sure something like it could be used to achieve the desired results

1 Like

I think this liquid holds the keyā€¦

1 Like

Hey drone001ā€¦enlighten us pleaseā€¦:face_with_monocle:

@Vanarianā€¦any thoughts please?

1 Like

itā€™s a liquidā€¦if you apply force it turns into a solid. shyyt I donā€™t know if someone can find a way to maybe use this as deck materialā€¦

When you stand on it though it will turn liquid and not support you if you just jump on it it would work.

2 Likes

hahhahaā€¦that sinking feeling.

Going around corners more downforce it would stiffen upā€¦that property could be usefulā€¦then sink again :joy:

2 Likes

it would be more like controlling the ā€œstiffnessā€ with electricityā€¦they have a guy doing something similar already. using electricity to form shapesā€¦not sure what liquid heā€™s using.

2 Likes