Decks...To flex or not to flex wouldn't that be nice

Imagine having an way to stiffen the deck for fast riding or more flex for carving.

A device that mounts to the underside of your rails, turning the adjuster to suit each different section of the ride. To be able to adjust on the fly so to speak. Able to fit any style of deck.

If you have a deck you think is to stiff could it be deflexed then fitted with the Flexomaster.

When you hold a plastic ruler…if its flat it flexes easily…turn it 90 degrees and you can’t bend it. In cars we mount chassis rails to stiffen for racing or enhancing for resto mod builds.

I’m no engineer is it feasible… possible?

Does it fall into either To Hard…To Expensive…Why Bother?

5 Likes

Sounds interesting. But IMO why can’t you just have a second deck? It sounds like an awesome engineering challenge but easily solve by non engineering related solution.

What if you just bolt on some flat aluminium bar on the underside of a flexible deck?

Second deck or second complete board. If it was easy to change everything over.

Flat bar would work but it bends easily, non adjustable.

what about an I beam :joy:

1 Like

Or a Jim Beam :joy:

4 Likes

I’m probably gonna have 2 additional decks for my build for this reason. Also why the integrated decks are an attractive option so that swapping isn’t as difficult to do

1 Like

Would be rather difficult to achieve. The reason why the ruler is harder to flex at the 90 point is possibly because of the width being narrower than the length. When u have an object that is lengthy, the easier it flexes.

Hey there @AreaKruzer…just trying to think of a design or concept that is easily or even could be made.

Something that is adjustable…variable

If we could put electrical current through a liquid or element some kind of matter to create rigidity that would be a winner lol

Unfortunately I wouldn’t have a clue if it was possible

having a material that switches it’s state would probably be a little too expensive.

i think having a board with changeable beams of varied flexibility will be the easier way out.

1 Like

That’s a winner so far. :gift:

Has that been done before?

To Hard…To Expensive…Why Bother?

1 Like

as far as i know, i have yet to see any boards with variable flex.

if one were to try and make it, probably will have to go through quite a substantial amount of testing. the only material i think that is plausible for making the beams with varied stiffness is probably making polyurethane of varied hardness.

1 Like

I was thinking of this the other day. My idea was to have a square tube that runs between the length of the two trucks. This tube is self collapsing though, so that it can be full length and provide a completely flex free board or it can be slid down to the ends of the trucks so that it allows the board to flex through the middle portion.

The look would be kinda like the benchwheel enclosure but cut in the middle so that it can slide back and forth.

The tube could also double as an enclosure for the electronics

2 Likes

that might possibly work as well. but moving parts always have additional issues. but i liked the idea of the extending tube

The main issue is the variety of different wheel base options that it would need to be capable of fitting

Afaik torsional flex is one of the big reasons for instability so a deck that only flexes on one axis is what you’re looking for. Unfortunately most flexy decks will twist and turn when flexing but I’ve read that buddy buddy’s decks uses some weird string tech to try and make it flex in only one axis, up and down without any torsional flex

I remember when I was looking for subframe connectors for my Unibody 66.

Somebody told me it was much stronger to have round or tubular subframe connectors as apposed to square to stop the body twisting under heavy load…acceleration

“some weird string tech to try and make it flex in only one axis”

You me like tighten a guitar string or woven cable?

It’s called ankercore tech I think, u can read about it here https://info.buddybuddy.eu/anchorCoreTechnology.html . Basically it’s a bunch of strings woven in the board and tightened to tune the flex characteristics image I think it’s a really interesting concept but have not tried it before

4 Likes

Lots of work there…I was thinking of cables running the length.

But you’d probably snap your board in half or hit a decent bump and get bounced into the stratosphere lol

in response to the whole flatbar thing, it works but you need a flat bar of spring steel not mild steel, then u just stack up flat bar to desired rigidity lol

1 Like

another neat idea (one i have often pondered because we use electric decks) is to use “muscle wire” (Nitinol) infused into a deck w/ a separate battery pack (or a buck converter) and using either a Pot or some kind of current limiting circuit.

it’s a type of metal that bend when current is applied. with enough experimentation we could use that contracting force to stiffen the deck up or allow it to bend, depending on the amount of current allowed to flow through the wire.

3 Likes