[CLOSED] DAVEga first batch (beta testing)

I have no arduino experience so I’ll wait for batch 2

Can’t wait for a more polished gadget!

3 Likes

Interesting, there’s a new fee on the sender side.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. That’s probably only if you pay with a credit card, which makes sense since PayPal gets charged for accepting a credit card payment. 11% fee is still pretty steep. That’s definitely not what they get charged.

I’m getting pretty annoyed with PayPal. I think the batch 2 will be dogecoin payments only. :smile:

2 Likes

Guys, I’m going to collect a few missing bits tomorrow, complete you packages in the evening and ship them to you on Thursday morning. I’ll be shipping to the following people:

(:white_check_mark: = ready to do some SMD soldering :wink:)

I also have an order from @SourPlumGoose. I’m sorry but I have to put you (and any other orders received henceforth) on hold until more buttons arrive, which is hopefully in a few days.

There’s a small problem about capacitors. I wasn’t able to get the right size THT locally. I’m expecting a big caps package, which will hopefully have the right (small enough) size. I can provide SMD capacitors though. Is everyone comfortable soldering them? It’s not that hard. I managed to do it and I’m not particularly good at soldering. If you think it would be a problem for you please PM me and we’ll figure it out.

To keep this thread uncluttered, I’ll consider a like to this post as “I’m good with SMD”.

9 Likes

I know you don’t want clutter but I just want to say that I’ll have a shipment soon of a bunch of capacitors. Both normal and ceramic, on top of the small assortment I already own. So feel free to ship without the problem part and just inform me. Though I imagine it’ll be easier to ship everything at once anyway.

1 Like

Looks like there’s a misunderstanding. It’s actually my plan to ship without the THT capacitors and give you SMD capacitors instead. This is to speed things up. Another option is to wait for the THT capacitors to arrive and I don’t know when that will be.

1 Like

Yea, that’s fine. Sorry about that, makes sense now.

2 Likes

Hey sorry I payed but PayPal didn’t let me pay in any other.currency except for yours I don’t mind sending a bit extra to cover the conversion rate.

1 Like

You mean SMD capacitors?

1 Like

Of course, sorry.

1 Like

@Kug3lis would be a great tester. @Kug3lis do u agree?

1 Like

I had run the firmware with simple arduino and it works, but to do more in deep test don’t have literally time :smiley:

Too many things on the hands right now to even pick something more :slight_smile: Plus I have to finish shit loads of stuff before holidays :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Put me down for one :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am so excited to test your amazing work!

2 Likes

I gathered all the bits and was about to complete the kits.

IMG_1515

I figured I would assemble one Dave using the parts I’m about to ship to double-check all works.

IMG_1516

And it turned out that wasn’t a completely stupid idea since though it did work, I wasn’t able to update the firmware. The MCU wouldn’t reset. It wasn’t that hard to debug. The 100 nF caps I got are actually 20 pF caps. :frowning: So I have to drop into my local electronics store again tomorrow and get the correct caps. They do have them on stock. They just messed up the order.

This will unfortunately delay me one day. I hoped I would be able to ship the kits to you guys tomorrow morning. It will have to wait until Friday morning, sorry.

8 Likes

Its ok!!! We all appreciate putting everything together for us!

2 Likes

Printing the revised enclosure now, should see it in a couple of hours if I don’t fall alseep.

5 Likes

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: :sleeping: :sleeping_bed:

I got the correct capacitors and finalized the kits. 14 Dave kits ready to go:

IMG_1519

This took way more time than I have anticipated. I think I’ll hire an assistant for the second batch… or at least get my kids to help. :smile:

Tomorrow morning, the kits go to:

• Jumpman
  • clistpdx
  • amazingdave
  • ROFEN13
  • swimmydude
  • The_Dude (2 kits)
  • Mich21050 (2 kits, no buttons)
  • ltsmedant
  • deucesdown
  • JonathanLau1983 (no buttons)

I also have orders from:

• SourPlumGoose
  • Battosaii
  • spesh (who has sent money, but no address! :smile:)

I’ll ship the kits to you guys as soon as the buttons arrive.

A few words of caution. The capacitors are really tiny. Make sure you don’t loose them or accidentally throw away thinking it’s just a piece of paper. The strip with 1 piece has a 100nF cap; the strip with 3 pieces has 20pF caps (1 spare).

IMG_1517

The 2x 5 pin headers are for the display. The display has 11 pins, but not all are used. If you use the headers, leave a 1 pin space in the middle (see here).

Note that if you do use the headers, it will make the whole thing thicker than if you solder the display directly to the PCB. However, if you remove the yellow plastic from the display pins and cut them, it will be only ~1mm thicker than if you solder directly. Do whatever works best for you.

Good luck!

7 Likes

BTW, I replaced the capacitor and checked that all works. It does!

Looking for 7 more guinea pigs! :smile:

3 Likes