[CLOSED] DAVEga first batch (beta testing)

I am so excited to test your amazing work!

2 Likes

I gathered all the bits and was about to complete the kits.

IMG_1515

I figured I would assemble one Dave using the parts I’m about to ship to double-check all works.

IMG_1516

And it turned out that wasn’t a completely stupid idea since though it did work, I wasn’t able to update the firmware. The MCU wouldn’t reset. It wasn’t that hard to debug. The 100 nF caps I got are actually 20 pF caps. :frowning: So I have to drop into my local electronics store again tomorrow and get the correct caps. They do have them on stock. They just messed up the order.

This will unfortunately delay me one day. I hoped I would be able to ship the kits to you guys tomorrow morning. It will have to wait until Friday morning, sorry.

8 Likes

Its ok!!! We all appreciate putting everything together for us!

2 Likes

Printing the revised enclosure now, should see it in a couple of hours if I don’t fall alseep.

5 Likes

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: :sleeping: :sleeping_bed:

I got the correct capacitors and finalized the kits. 14 Dave kits ready to go:

IMG_1519

This took way more time than I have anticipated. I think I’ll hire an assistant for the second batch… or at least get my kids to help. :smile:

Tomorrow morning, the kits go to:

• Jumpman
  • clistpdx
  • amazingdave
  • ROFEN13
  • swimmydude
  • The_Dude (2 kits)
  • Mich21050 (2 kits, no buttons)
  • ltsmedant
  • deucesdown
  • JonathanLau1983 (no buttons)

I also have orders from:

• SourPlumGoose
  • Battosaii
  • spesh (who has sent money, but no address! :smile:)

I’ll ship the kits to you guys as soon as the buttons arrive.

A few words of caution. The capacitors are really tiny. Make sure you don’t loose them or accidentally throw away thinking it’s just a piece of paper. The strip with 1 piece has a 100nF cap; the strip with 3 pieces has 20pF caps (1 spare).

IMG_1517

The 2x 5 pin headers are for the display. The display has 11 pins, but not all are used. If you use the headers, leave a 1 pin space in the middle (see here).

Note that if you do use the headers, it will make the whole thing thicker than if you solder the display directly to the PCB. However, if you remove the yellow plastic from the display pins and cut them, it will be only ~1mm thicker than if you solder directly. Do whatever works best for you.

Good luck!

7 Likes

BTW, I replaced the capacitor and checked that all works. It does!

Looking for 7 more guinea pigs! :smile:

3 Likes

Any advice for soldering on the capacitors? Tin the pads before?

1 Like

Tin one end first only, otherwise might be difficult to get it flat against the board.

2 Likes

I don’t like to cross post, but I thought there were likely people in the beta group that aren’t watching the main post. Here’s the housing I designed, its tested and good.

3 Likes

All shipped.

I’m going to ship the remaining 7 kits assembled. Looking for people to test those. It’s fine if you’re not much into electronics/Arduino. It will be good to test whether updating the FW is feasible even for people with no previous Arduino experience and figure out how the FW updates could be made easier.

It would still be nice if you could help us tweaking the enclosures, so mechanical DIY skills and/or access to a 3D printer are much appreciated.

Please PM me if you’re interested in an assembled test kit. Price will be the same as for unassembled.

@Grozniy @yelnats8j @Andy87 @High-roller @ARetardedPillow

8 Likes

I can’t really ride due to snow… So I’ll still wait :wink:

2 Likes

Reeeealy tempted! Pm’ing you now!

2 Likes

All remaining parts came in today:

IMG_1522

The capacitors are nice and small, no taller than the crystal:

IMG_1523

The problem is that the legs of the 22 pF caps are too close to each other and they don’t fit well in the PCB. I will update the next version of the PCB such that they fit. For this batch, I’ll just keep adding the SMD caps.

It’s late and I had a busy day, so I won’t be able to get the packages ready tonight, but I should be able to make it tomorrow and ship on Wednesday morning.

4 Likes

Ok so first of all thank you @janpom for the great kit. :smile: Is there someone who could maybe sell me a display withi the eu? I can’t find one locally and I don’t want to wait :smile:

All shipped to these guys. I accidentally posted to the wrong thread yesterday. Just to make things clear here, the batch 1 is now closed. We’ll do some testing now and once all is tweaked I’ll start the second batch. It will probably happen early next year (January or February).

I’m still waiting for delivery on mine. Not a big deal as my screens haven’t turned up either…

That’s too long for UK. I’ll PM you.

Still waiting for screens wish I knew of a local source.

Ebay had some under 10