DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

I cut off this yellow plastic in order to get everything to fit right.

IMG_20190321_081816

3 Likes

How exactly did you go about doing that?

Just a razorblade. You’ll see that you can almost just pull it off with pliers. Just go slow and take your time. Start cutting at the base and you can kinda pry up at the same time.

2 Likes

I don’t have a Devega, but similar connectors are easy to pull the plastic off if you snip them with wire cutters first between the pins, then each individual one you can can pull off with hemostats.

1 Like

^ this. It’s a bit of a hassle, but not really hard to do.

@kalebludlow I was talking about trimming the top side of the pins not the bottom. There is relief for them in the case but this may help the davega sit all the way in.

I see there is some shrinkage on the top of the case, it could making the distance a bit shorter. Is this abs? If yes then I would switch to a less shrinky plastic like PLA.

My case was not designed for easy printing on a FDM printer. I think its very challenging on anything but a perfectly tuned FDM printer. Looking at @banjaxxed print above, that’s pretty much the quality to aim for.

1 Like

Question. When connected to pc. I get everything on the davega screen. But connected to the board it powers on to a black screen. I did changed the baud and pwm uart. Am i missing something?

Sounds like the 5V/GND wires are not correctly connected to the VESC.

The display goes all white when powered on. If it’s all black it’s likely not powered on. I recommend that you take a multimeter and do some measuring on the PCB between the 5V and GND rail.

Will check. I just went of flipsky layout

@hiboute I managed to fix your Dave! It had a bad crystal.

I was assembling some Daves today and one didn’t work, which was really strange because I was pretty sure I have done everything correctly and I tested the MCU before the assembly. There’s not that many components, so it wasn’t that hard to find the bad one.

Then I thought what if your Dave had the same issue. Fortunately I didn’t throw it to the bin, so I digged it out of my dead electro box and tried replacing the crystal there as well and voila, works like a charm. I can ship it to you if you have any use for it.

It looks like the batch of crystals I purchased had at least 2 bad pieces. I will have to test the crystals before including in the kits from now on.

1 Like

@janpom is it possible to order one ?

1 Like

Well, you already replace the oned i’ve sent you and they work great. Please give it to someone who would like to join the project!

3 Likes

I could send to you the @hiboute’s one and if you don’t mind refurbished. :slight_smile: It works just fine. Please PM me if you’re interested.

1 Like

Sounds good I’ll PM you

Hey man, just checking if you’ve made any progress with unity integration. I want my davega working Sooo badly!

4 Likes

I have one Unity on hand and I think I know what needs to be updated in the DAVEga FW. Now I just need to find some time to do it.

2 Likes

@janpom Are you always this cool? I swear I’ve told all my friends and family about you. You are the epitome of what open source is. Love it dude!

9 Likes

Hehe, you guys exaggerate. It’s really nothing. Compare to, say, how much time Vedder must have put into the VESC and you’ll see how small the DAVEga is.

3 Likes

People drastically underestimate the amount of time it took to write the VESC 2.18 firmware.

3 Likes

Just wanted to say thanks to @janpom for awesome idea and all your work! I’ve uploaded code to arduino nano, using “current” branch. Seems to work with 2.2 screen, but I haven’t had a chance to connect it to vesc yet. Should buttons work (to change screens) without vesc connected? I have them wired to pins A2, A3 and A4, of course I updated davega.ino with these pins before uploading it to arduino. Is here someone less busy :wink: than janpom, who also knows programming well enough to make some little changes in what parameter is displayed on the screen with battery current? I’d be very happy, if someone could replace trip and total miles with mah used and motor temp. I don’t need to see the speed or mileage at all, as in my case vesc is mounted on electric bike (with different gears being used, so the speed shown will never be true). Thanks.