DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

Installed! More buttons ordered. I only had one.

IMG_1641

IMG_1638

Connected to VESC.

IMG_1639

IMG_1640

Testing the view angle on falcon. It’s not perfect, but not too bad either. I can still read the display while standing on the board with no problems.

IMG_1642

I love how easy it is to use the enclosure. And it looks great. Thanks again @lrdesigns.

10 Likes

Will it work if you flip it upside down, buttons on rider side?

I tried that and I don’t think that would work well. The enclosure angle is greater than the board tip angle so if you flip it the display is facing slightly away from the rider. It looks weird and I think reflections would be a problem.

The enclosure is actually a great fit for the board tail since the tip there is angled slightly down. I guess I’ll just have to learn riding backwards. :smiley:

1 Like

Any of you guys in the USA have an extra screen you want to sell me. Fucking stepped on my only 2 inch screen. I have a ton of 2.2" ones but they won’t fit in my @lrdesigns enclosure. :sob:

Edit: I said fuck it and ordered from ALi. Paid twice as much as the screens for faster shipping. I seriously can’t be out my DAVega’s. I need them now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I finally found some time and energy to do more developments. I added more items to the text screen.

• MOSFET temperature
  • motor temperature
  • motor current
  • battery current
  • duty cycle

I originally only wanted to add the motor temperature as per a request from @JonathanLau1983, but since I was already at it I thought I could just as well add a little more stuff since it was pretty straightforward.

Note that you have to have the motor NTC connected to the VESC, otherwise you’ll get rubbish negative numbers for the motor temperature (as shown at the picture :slight_smile:).

Temperatures are in Fahrenheit when imperial units are on.

IMG_1650%202

Since there’s already more items than the text screen can accommodate, you can now configure which ones you want to see. Here’s the relevant excerpt from the config (mind the trailing backslashes, which are mandatory):

// Information to be displayed on the text screen. Only relevant if TEXT_SCREEN_ENABLED is set.
// Available options:
//    TSCR_FW_VERSION
//    TSCR_MOSFET_TEMPERATURE
//    TSCR_MOTOR_TEMPERATURE
//    TSCR_MOTOR_CURRENT
//    TSCR_BATTERY_CURRENT
//    TSCR_DUTY_CYCLE
//    TSCR_TOTAL_VOLTAGE
//    TSCR_MIN_TOTAL_VOLTAGE
//    TSCR_AVG_CELL_VOLTAGE
//    TSCR_BATTERY_CAPACITY_MAH
//    TSCR_BATTERY_CAPACITY_PERCENT
//    TSCR_TRIP_DISTANCE
//    TSCR_TOTAL_DISTANCE
//    TSCR_SPEED
//    TSCR_MAX_SPEED
//    TSCR_AVG_SPEED
//    TSCR_TIME_ELAPSED
//    TSCR_TIME_RIDING
//    TSCR_FAULT_CODE
#define TEXT_SCREEN_ITEMS { \
    TSCR_TOTAL_VOLTAGE, \
    TSCR_MIN_TOTAL_VOLTAGE, \
    TSCR_AVG_CELL_VOLTAGE, \
    TSCR_BATTERY_CAPACITY_MAH, \
    TSCR_BATTERY_CAPACITY_PERCENT, \
    TSCR_TRIP_DISTANCE, \
    TSCR_TOTAL_DISTANCE, \
    TSCR_SPEED, \
    TSCR_MAX_SPEED, \
    TSCR_AVG_SPEED, \
    TSCR_TIME_RIDING, \
    TSCR_FAULT_CODE, \
}

I believe that someone (@lrdesigns?) has asked for a bigger font. There’s now an option for that as well (though I would call it rather experimental :slight_smile:). It’s only recommended for the horizontal layout. Note that some items may overflow the right border. It’s easy to adjust (shorten) the labels in the code (davega_text_screen.cpp). I may move the labels to the config at some point if there’s interest.

IMG_1651%202

8 Likes

YAYAYAYYAYAY IT CAME

7 Likes

Thanks for the update @janpom!

We use mph in the UK and Celcius for temperature, so anyone using the new firmware will need to swap the logic around for the temperature calculation.

1 Like

Either manually changing the code or whether we introduce Imperial, Metric and UK as options. We do like to be difficult, just look at Brexit.

1 Like

You guys in UK and US are hopeless when it comes to units. :smiley:

I can just add another config option for the temperature units. That’s easy. Will put kids to bed and I’m right on it.

8 Likes

Tell me about it I miss living in a metric country

2 Likes

The construction industry is holding us back. Engineering is already almost totally metric or at least metric-friendly. Most of the construction workers, especially union ones, would rather break into your house at night and murder you, rather than be told what a millimeter is.

We have huge home improvement stores here called “Home Depot” and “Menards” and they think metric is some sort of joke. I went to buy a tape measure and they had 80+ different models – not a single one had metric on it. I had to tell them to eat my shit and ordered one online right in front of them. If they go out of business, we will know why and I won’t feel bad for them.

8 Likes

You the man!

1 Like

done (https://github.com/janpom/davega/commit/d9425aba3ae16d9b9dc623bb653c54dfd3618238)

edit: And now it even actually converts the values to Fahrenheit rather than just changing the name of the units. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Finally somebody who truly understands my pain. I’m not great at metric yet but it is so much more simple. It’s like it was designed to make sense.

4 Likes

I have terrible and imperial but somethings of metric Im too used to like mph

1 Like

Aviation is also terrible with units

Pay for POUNDS (not fluid ounces) of fuel, but instruments commonly display Liters/minute fuel flow

2 Likes

That’s cause it was! xd.

2 Likes

That is crazy! Almost every tape measure around here has both on it.

1 Like

I can confirm. I went to both of our major hardware stores and found exactly one tape measure that had metric.

The metric was a conversion table on the back of the reel…

4 Likes

Just received it. Thanks so much for this @janpom 20190207_211839

Now just waiting on the screen. I ordered during Chinese new year so I’m not expecting it for a while.

2 Likes