DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

Hmm, now that you mention it… …aaaand there goes my next paycheck on a third build.

1 Like

Look what just arrived.

IMG_1614

IMG_1616

Quick test if everything fits.

IMG_1617

I’ll assemble one tonight. If it works, I’ll be good to start the 2nd batch.

15 Likes

Is that like 100 boards?

2 Likes

Good guess. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I assembled one and all works!

IMG_1624

The 100 uF capacitor is pretty big. It’s slightly taller than the MCU. Still not taller than the display headers. If someone will want to make it really really low profile with no display headers and no JST connector, they will have to either leave out the capacitor (it’s not a critical component) or solder it outside of the PCB. This is the only problem I have found so far and it’s pretty minor.

IMG_1627

IMG_1628

4 Likes

Maybe using two 47μF capacitors that are thinner would work also, or just a 47μF

1 Like

Unfortunately I haven’t found any thinner axial electrolytic capacitors. The thinnest that mouser has are 4.5mm diameter. Capacitors of various capacitance are available in this size and the 100uF is the highest, so that’s what I ordered. It’s this one. In reality it’s slightly more than 4.5mm. I measured closer to 5mm.

We could use radial instead of axial and bend the legs, but I don’t like that. Plus I haven’t even checked if a thinner radial is available.

Edit: Found this for radial. Also 100uF but only 4mm diameter.

I agree with not bending legs when extreme vibrations are involved

How about surface mount ceramic?

Not sure if this is a design no-no, but how about a cutout for the Cap that would allow it to go through the pcb narrowing down the top profile?

3 Likes

Interesting idea. I like that. Should be easy to do with a bit of drilling and filing for those who want to narrow down the profile.

All set. Time to make some Daves. :slight_smile:

DSC01818

DSC01819

22 Likes

@janpom I’m looking at updating to fimrware 0.4 tonight or tomorrow and I’ve just been reading your notes. It’s a new build which hasn’t got any miles on it yet, so should I just change the EEPROM_MAGIC_VALUE value to something new? Any arbitrary number?

Correct. Note that the 0.4 has a different magic number than the previous versions so chances are you don’t need to touch it at all.

1 Like
5 Likes

hello, I wanted to thank janpom and other guys Who haveWho participated in the project, For all the work on the DAVEga, a big thank you! I am a French and I made a video on DAVEga on my Youtube channel On which I already made an electric skateboard and an electric scooter with an esk8 engine to go to 45kph, I have for the moment to install the DAVEga on my electric scooter, the link if the video : https://youtu.be/x95_16zzV8s

IMG_20190122_164037

15 Likes

Cool! Great to see someone build it with the Nano. I also love the plastic box idea. So simple and seems to work great. Thanks for sharing the vid. I wish I spoke some French. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thanks, for the plastic box, it’s because I do not have a 3d printer and it turned out to be a good idea.

3 Likes

@janpom Could we get motor temperature added to the screen with all the info listed? Not so important in winter, but in summer it would be useful. Thanks!

1 Like

OK. I added it on the backlog. I may need to make the items on the text screen configurable first though because if I add one more item, I’m afraid it already won’t fit on screen with the horizontal layout. It’s pretty straightforward. I just need to find some time for it.

9 Likes