DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

It wasn’t meant to offened you or anything. I just wanted to note it… :slight_smile:

He doesn’t want “VESC” to be used on VESC derivatives = competing products, which is understandable. This is a completely different situation though. Asking me to remove VESC from the Dave PCB would be like asking the admins of this forum to remove all mentions of VESC from all posts.

3 Likes

@trampa could you provide some insight here? Do we need to be worried, or do we have your blessing?

1 Like

I agree, I mean I totally agree. All I’m trying to do is add a little bit of perspective to whatever you decide. It’s not so much Ben as it is Frank that shoots first and asks questions later. I feel like you will be fine, but maybe shoot him a PM to make sure.

3 Likes

Gonna try and populate my DaveGa today…or build my battery…or clean my damn garage all the way. Crap, got too much to do and to little time to do it!

2 Likes

Is anyone else still waiting for it?

3 Likes

Thanks @janpom I ordered some pcbs a week ago, not sure when I’ll make a couple but the BOM is really handy

1 Like

I am still why?

What you need to know can be found here: https://vesc-project.com/trademark_policies

You can’t use the VESC Trademark for/on your product. You can make fair use of the TM as stated in the TM policies.

Fair use is for example using the TM in your product description to point out compatibility with VESC Software:

XYZ, compatible with VESC®* Software/Firmware

* VESC is a registered TM owned by Benjamin Vedder.

Me :cry: my mailbox can’t take the wear on the hinges any more

2 Likes

Looks like it specifically forbids use on a circuit board: “A trademark should not be used on/for Products (e.g. circuit boards, hardware, services)”

1 Like

Yeah, I saw. My impression is still that the intention is to protect against VESC derivatives being called VESCs, such as the original FOCBOX. So while putting VESC on the PCB violates the trademark policies, I can’t see why anyone should mind that since the use is clearly in the context of “plug VESC here” as opposed to “this is a VESC thing”.

I already ordered the PCBs. I will write an email to Vedder to ask him if the use of the trademark is OK. I’m convinced he won’t have anything against it, especially since this is a non-commercial open source project.

Gosh, I guess I will take @b264’s advice next time. I don’t have time for dealing with nonsense legal issues.

11 Likes

While I’m not with Trampa, it goes a bit beyond just VESC’s. Think of it as Nintendo. Their trademark not only allows them grounds to pursue anyone who dares tries to name a similar product of the same name , but to ensure that unwanted accessories arent associated all Willy milky with their product. Gives them the ground to say “err no” legally.

The difference in this case is that both products are open source.

3 Likes

My screen finally came! I’m going to put in some pins I’ve bent 90° in order to make attaching the bootloader easier: IMG_20190101_170639 I’ve already started working on a matching case for it. 15463557697902597728224372433455 I’m probably going to go with the landscape view so I want to put the buttons on the same side in order to keep the footprint as comfortably small as possible.

2 Likes

dave_pf_2019

7 Likes

Christmas came late this year. This beauty arrived today.

DSC01778

It’s absolutely fantastic. Quite an upgrade from my $5 HobbyKing soldering iron. No more coffee breaks until the tip heats up. :smiley: Now I feel well prepared for assembling some Daves.

I had to test it and since I just had no useful soldering to do, here’s one more PF.

DSC01779

11 Likes

Do you have a link to that. I likey :grinning:.

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/UY-CHAN-Programmable-Pocket-size-Acceleration/dp/B01MDTO6X7

Looks like this is it.

I’m interested…time to do some research! It would be nice to get rid of the big soldering station I have.

3 Likes

Ive got one with a bc2 tip, it’s good for small things

2 Likes