DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

I don’t know if anyone will care, but would it be possible to add a positive and negative passthrough to drive an LED for button 1?

What would that be good for? Do you want to have a LED that lights up when you press the button?

Just have an LED to show power. Normally the power switch is used to show power, which is typically on the side of the enclosure. This way it’ll be on the top of the board.

Like I said, not a big deal, just a thought.

2 Likes

Hm, you would have the Dave display to power on when you power on the board. Isn’t that sufficient indication? I’m not saying no. I’m just trying to understand the use case.

1 Like

I agree, its just an attractiveness thing. Its not at all important and doesnt really serve any purpose other than looking pretty :).

Alright. I don’t quite understand how it relates to buttons, though. You could just connect the LED to any 5V and GND on the PCB. Plus, you would need a current limiting resistor in series with the LED. I could make space for the resistor directly on the PCB to make this easier. There’s definitely space for it. I can even add two dedicated pads for the LED.

Oh, you mean a backlight for the button, right? Sometimes I’m slow in understanding things. :smile:

2 Likes

Yes, just to light a 10mm momentary switch that has a built in LED.

1 Like

Something like this…

https://www.amazon.com/button-switchtoggle-Waterproof-Momentary-Modified/dp/B074WXYSPH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545429660&sr=8-3&keywords=10mm+momentary+switch

@lrdesigns How about this?

IMG_1583

Would everyone be OK with this for the horizontal layout? Or is there anyone who prefers the previous one with only two numbers on the right hand side and slightly bigger fonts?

If anyone prefers battery % instead of volts, I can make that a config option.

11 Likes

Looks awesome @janpom. I don’t think battery % I necessary considering the coloured bars beneath. Average voltage makes good sense.

4 Likes

Top speed on the trip would be a handy one to squeeze in?

1 Like

image image Does it look like I’m getting closer on this attempt? @janpom

7 Likes

5 Likes

It’s up and running. Displaying voltage but no speed? I know I’m missing something obvious… As always.

1 Like

You just need to go faster :grinning:

4 Likes

Stupid question, but you running sensored motors?

No… Stupid persons answer?

Well I assumed the VESC used the hall sensors to determine rotation speeds, so I think this only works with sensored setups.

Doh. I’ll have to stick it on another build…