DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

@SeanHacker It should be like this:

IMG_1510

It would be best if you could post pics of how you have it wired up and I will try to tell you what’s wrong with it.

Make sure you have the MCU and the diode correctly oriented.

2 Likes

@lrdesigns Awesome work! I purchased some female header pins for the display that I will ship with the next kits so that people don’t have to use tissues. :smile: I do like the creativity though! :smile:

When you opened davega.ino for the first time, did it say something like it has to be located in a folder named davega and asked you if you wanted to move the file there?

Right. If you read the README file, the point 6 in this section in particular, that shouldn’t have caught you off guards. :wink:

Are you on a Mac by chance? If not, just ignore me. (There is a known bug that results in that error. Super frustrating)

I’m not aware of that bug. I’m on a Mac and I have never seen the error with a correct set up. (I have actually seen it many times but always for a good reason. :smile:)

I forget what the explanation was but I cannot flash arduinos from my 2017 mac (2010 works fine).

From a full OS reinstall with neither the online ide or the full ide able to talk to various arduinos with correct settings… Others do share the bug but it doesn’t appear to be big enough to require a fix.

Just figured I’d ask.

Edit----

Also have received the PCB’s Yesterday. Thanks!! (figured I’d give this post some value lol)

That’s good to know. Thanks for the info. Hopefully that’s not the case for @SeanHacker since he did manage to install the FW to his Arduino UNO before.

Or did you mean flashing as when using the Arduino as ISP?

No problem. Only picture I have on hand until I get home tonight. Hopefully everything’s oriented correctly.

IMG_20181111_142217

Yes, that looks good. Could you try connecting the display using @lrdesigns’ tissue trick :smile: and see if anything shows up on the display when you power it on?

You can power it on with the USB-UART adapter or even with your Arduino. Just connect the GND and +5V using jumper wires.

1 Like

@SeanHacker You seem to have quite a lot of solder on the MCU pins. Please double-check that nothing is shorted there.

1 Like

Yep. I was pretty heavy handed and partially drunk when I soldered this board in the picture. Lol. When I get home I have another one that’s a lot better. I’ll check everything when I get home tonight. Everything powered on, it showed white screen and I kept getting that error when trying to upload. Total noob at this so I’m pretty sure its user error my first time around. :wink:

@SeanHacker Only now I realized you don’t have the MCU from me so it hasn’t been pre-programmed. The display obviously can’t show anything but white screen then. Did the MCU come with the bootloader or have you burnt the bootloader yourself? If not, you won’t be able to program it. Unfortunately, if it’s already soldered on the PCB, you will have hard time burning the bootloader. It’s not impossible, but I’m afraid it will be some hassle.

1 Like

The guy I bought from said “All microcontrollers tested, bootloader uploaded with sample arduino blink sketch on D9 (DIP#15)”. But I have another board without that soldered on so I’ll flash it before I solder just to make sure.

Ah, OK, good. Hopefully it’s something else then. Try checking for shorts.

Also, it should be easy to verify that the blink is indeed uploaded and working correctly. Just power it on and check the pin 15 with multimeter.

1 Like

I get that error off and on on my mac. I’m not positive, but I think sometimes I try a different USB cable, or a different USB port, reopen Arduino software, and then recheck the connection. Then it randomly starts working. I found a forum about it but no one seemed to have great solutions.

2 Likes

Oh, and one other thing, in Arduino software, where you choose what type of board you are connecting to, I had to choose “old bootloader” or something along those lines (I don’t have my computer with me to send a screenshot right now). I think the Nano’s I was using were chinese knockoffs with old software on them, and the “old bootloader” got past the AVRdude error

1 Like

True, I too had to use “old bootloader” with some MCUs where I didn’t burn the bootloader myself. That could be it.

1 Like

Thanks @clistpdx and @janpom for the help. I’ll be checking this out right when I get home tonight.

I’d actually love to test and report, but I don’t have enough time on my hand to solder myself all the components. Would just be sitting there and it’d be ready to test after you’ve finished the first beta phase.

Got home and still couldn’t get the vega firmware to upload. Its gotta be these programmers or something. Uploaded to the chip on the uno (forgot to change the config to my board settings :wink: ), took that chip out and soldered to a new board. Works now.

I think these screens I have are defective. They flicker like crazy. Going to order a couple more and see.

IMG_20181112_195138

IMG_20181112_175029

2 Likes

Test, test, test…