DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

@SeanHacker Cool that the PCBs arrived. So that’s some 11 days for shipping to US. Good to know.

Nice work on the acrylic enclosure. I actually thought about doing the same, but then I went for cardboard instead. Not pretty, but easy to work with and it does the job.

What button is that? Is that rubber coating?

1 Like

Yeah, I was about to tell you. It shouldn’t be hard to desolder if you have a solder wick. I think I have sent you a spare header. If you can’t desolder it as a whole, you can cut all the pins. Then you can desolder them one by one, which is much easier.

I’m aware of that. The crystal is already fixed in v0.3:

Selection_004

The header is not a problem, IMO. It actually doubles as a spacer – keeps the two PCBs parallel to each other. Also, you have a hair of space underneath the header.

The best way to solder it on is if you solder only a single pin first. Then take the PCB in your left hand, press the header firmly against the PCB and re-heat the soldered pin. Then let it cool while still pressing firmly. It won’t move after that and you can solder the remaining pins next. That way you don’t get any space under the header.

I don’t believe that. You definitely don’t have 2mm of clearance above the MCU. If the crystal is moved and the header is not soldered on (you can make a harness instead), you can maybe make it 0.5mm thinner, but no more than that.

The crystal only touches the plastic housing of the chip. It won’t short anything. I still didn’t like it so I moved it for the next version, but I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal.

Nice to see the progress ! It seems that there is a lot of space left on the PCB. Would it be nice to add a NTC on the PCB for having the external temperature ? You probably have some spare ADC on the Atmega. Just trhowing ideas for v0.3 :smile:

1 Like

That sounds like a nice idea, I’ve got some 10k Thermistors kicking around.

They’re some breadboard buttons that my buddy gave me. He said he got them from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XT3FLVM?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Damn I hate waiting for these parts to come in. I really wanna use this thing already.

Added a clear acrylic piece to cover the screen on my prototype enclosure. I just taped everything in, so that why its a little wonky looking.

IMG_20181108_134452 IMG_20181108_141336

5 Likes

Nice! In fact, the parts that you’re missing are only needed to reset the chip while programming. You can program the chip using your arduino. Then you’re good. The only problem is that once you solder on the display, it will be very difficult for you to solder additional components.

3 Likes

I’m actually waiting for the chips to come in still. They were supposed to be here on Sunday but something happened. So from what it looks like they should be here tomorrow along with the rest of the components.

Question. Its not bad to bend these 20pf capacitors like this is it?

IMG_20181108_145459

1 Like

Aha, I remembered seeing the MCU with crystal and caps on one of the pics and I thought that one was from you, but I was wrong, sorry (it was from JonathanLau1983).

As for the capacitors, it’s probably not ideal, but I have done the same with mine and haven’t had any problems so far. I ordered these for the kits, which are smaller and I hope they will fit without bending. You could also use SMD capacitors like here.

2 Likes

@Pimousse Thanks for the idea. I prefer to keep it small, but I encourage anyone to experiment with add-ons. You could fork my PCB design on EasyEDA and add anything you want to it. Then order from JLCPCB. For 10 PCBs it’s some $8 shipped if you don’t mind waiting a bit.

Its not bad at all to bend the capacitors, it will have no effect to their operation

I’m probably going to blob on some hot glue to stop vibrations from potentially breaking their little legs.

You think you don’t have not enough room for a NTC and another resistor on the actual size ? That wouln’t change the overall dimension. :wink:

Why do you need/want to know the temp of the DAVEga or the outside air? I want to know the temp of my motor or vesc which we already have with the fault notification. You could have current temp of motor and vesc with some software work, but the display might get crowded with too much info.

1 Like

Oh, that was only thoughts. Sure it requires to think about how this can be integrated with other data without messing UX up.

External temp sensor is more of a nicety. So when your out and it’s cold AF you know exactly how cold AF it is. Beware black ice!

1 Like

than we need peeping below 4degree too… :sweat_smile:

I meant “small” in terms of features, not necessarily physically small (though that’s also a concern). Sorry for the ambiguity.

I like the UNIX system philosophy: Do one thing and do it well.

1 Like

Ok, I get what you mean. You’re right. I would suggest to add it though on the PCB, not especially for external temp. but any kind of ADC measurement. For instance, I hooked a NTC up in my battery box to the VESC ADC3 because I had the experience having very hot batteries after a continuous 10km uphill. But nothing warned or stopped the VESC because of battery temperature (quite huge hazard !). (Just throwing ideas, not forcing anything. :slight_smile: )

As long as functionality is simple and doesnt detract from the main goal I’m all for it. A scrolling screen via small button would solve most of these issues. I have absolutely no idea if it can be implemented because I’m software impared but:

A general info screen, similar to the planned one now A temp screen A simplified speed screen A simplified fault screen A simplified odometer screen

That way you could choose what is important to you at the time and when you stop for a break or beer or whatever you can scroll through all of them and look like a proper skateboard Aut.