DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

would gladly pay a markup for one of these.

4 Likes

Love the design!

I think you have you have kicked a goal in term of feedback to the rider, especially for the cost of components.

I realise this argument is a bit premature, but aesthetically I do think the layout adjustment of the data could be worked on to improve the readability of the Speed graph readout, perhaps rotate the readout 90 degrees to use a landscape orientation for the screen instead of portrait? (because humans). Regardless, I want one.

And while I can see you have used light blue square blocks on your prototype to demonstrate changes in speed, and green through red for battery capacity, I am sure an enterprising coder can make something a bit more nuanced and refined.

Suggestion: using inspiration from a Honda S2000 tachometer for the speed graph :smile:

3 Likes

How are you going to do coulomb counting? Current clamp or transformer?

I think it would be great to keep the profile of the device down. rather than mounting the board and Screen together. You can mount the board under the deck inside your enclosure and have a wire going to the screen mounted top side.

2 Likes

sandwich style…:sweat_smile: good idea!

Thanks all for the nice comments.

Uh, OK. :sweat_smile: Is that a random pick or is there an obvious justification that I have missed? I agree it needs an enterprise level name and I have nothing against Dave, but just to give the opportunity to the others, are there any other suggestions? :smile:

Battery voltage is read directly from the VESC. So is the current motor erpm, which can be converted to speed. You need to provide your wheel size and gear ratio in the firmware config variables. The same goes for estimating the battery capacity from the voltage. You need to define the number of cells and you can even customize the discharge ticks, i.e. you can define which voltage corresponds to 100%, 50%, 0% etc. You can make it as finegrained as you want to.

Sure. We could have various skins. Landscape orientation is not a problem. If you or anyone else would like to design an alternative skin (as a 176x220 bitmap – that’s the display resolution), I’m happy to do the coding to make it work. Just note that the display resolution is low and complex shapes may not look very nice. That’s why I’m using squares, rectangles and simple fonts with no anti-aliasing.

It would also be possible to display more VESC data, such as temperature, motor current, etc.

The coulomb counting is done inside the VESC and I honestly don’t know how it’s done. I just read the values from the VESC using UART.

Yes, that’s definitely possible. It’s just a matter of having a cable between the headers and the display rather than plugging the display in directly.

3 Likes

Did you read a single vesc or both of them? Because if you running dual you need to have both those values :wink:

1 Like

I read only one and multiply by the number of VESCs (config option). Is that a bad estimate? Reading from both with CANBUS forwarding is of course also possible with some extra work. I think that will be the V2.0. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a matter of the enclosure, which I don’t have and I’m not sure I can design it. But I guess if you can make one that’s water-tight around the display, it should make the thing at least splash proof.

2 Likes

I’m happy to design an enclosure with you

2 Likes

@janpom This is impressive. I am very interested. Do you have a BOM available? We should talk.

If I had measurements I could model enclosures, including a waterproof gasket, for a lot of different decks for those that want to top mount. I am thinking specifically about the LY Evo, Red Ember Caldera/Bludgeon & Hummie decks.

5 Likes

Nice one, may I ask how frequently you are saving to the EEPROM

I’m also implementing a odometer in my board and my intention was to use the ERPM to set when to save it

If ERPM is zero or close to zero save all stats to EEPROM, and only save again if the board moves and stop again, this way you never loose distabce

1 Like

one for trampa decks please too :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t have a trampa deck, likely I will never have a trampa deck. If you want to get me measurements or send one for me to measure I’d be glad too.

1 Like

Yes please to all of these!

here the measurements of the nose

if something missing you need, let me know.

1 Like

Will do. Just need to get the measurements for the monitor, preferably one on hand, and I can get started.

1 Like

Yaaas. I knew you would be all over this

@moon @mmaner Cool! Thanks for offering to help with the enclosure. Here are my thoughts. It would be nice to have two types of mounts. One for mountain board with top mounted battery/ESC enclosures where you would mount to the lid of the enclosure. That wouldn’t require full housing, only a panel mount, i.e. something like this.

The second type would be for mounting on the front part of a deck, possibly as a part of the X thingy as @Grozniy suggests or in a full housing with mounting holes, i.e. something like this. There are two options here. 1) Put the whole thing into the enclosure. 2) Only put the display into the enclosure and keep the PCB near the VESC.

What do you guys think? What dimensions do you want me to measure?

1 Like

I think separating the 2 pieces, while it increases the level of complication, lowes the risk of damage to half the unit and makes the enclosure a lot smaller.

Ideally I need the full body measurements of the assembled unit, and the individual halves.

If you can PM me the BOM I can order the pieces and do the assembly here. Or if you have an extra you can loan me Ill send it back when I’m done.

2 Likes