DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

Is the 5 pin jst-xh connector 2.54mm pitch? I’m making a cable for the DaVega.

Which connector? JST-XH is indeed 2.54mm pitch.

1 Like

Sweet. Thanks. I’m making an “advanced cable” based on your post here. Easier to update the unit without opening the DaVega enclosure.

1 Like

It’s not like you didn’t literally write it in the instructions :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

20190502_165443

Most excellent!

7 Likes

Two birds with one stone. Testing the Cheap FOCer with Flipsky DAVEga. :smile:

DSC02168

12 Likes

Inquiring about these:

• Is it normal to see zero speed as soon as you let go of the throttle? I would think it would gradually count down the speed.

• Is it frowned upon when you try to reconfigure the unit while its connected to vesc? Meaning JST is plugged in the UART port and you connect the USB dongle to your laptop to change the settings. Power is off on the board of course.

I tried the latter and it gave me DRV fault error. I got scared and unplugged the USB. Turned on my board and it still works. No fault codes.

Definitely not. I bet you’re looking at the motor amps or battery amps rather than on the speed. Those do drop to 0 as soon as you let go of the throttle.

I haven’t tried that myself but I imagine it can be problematic since the ATMEGA-328 PU only has one UART port that’s used for both programming and connecting to VESC. So if you connect the USB-UART adapter to the Dave while it’s connected to the VESC you’re effectively connecting it to both Dave and VESC. The fact that the VESC is powered off may not be relevant. The UART adapter has 5V to power the target device and so it probably actually powers on the VESC MCU. IMO you don’t want to do this.

2 Likes

@janpom

Just stopping by to give you a massive thank you for making this. It’s pretty bad ass!

Attach177950_20190512_104009

7 Likes

I had a dull moment this afternoon so I assembled one kit and got it recorded. After reviewing the video I feel like I probably won’t make a career as a youtuber. :laughing: I hope it still helps someone.

13 Likes

Thanks for this video. Just assembled one by copying the video.

After assembling and turning it on via USB the 3 buttons didn’t do anything went pressed. Is that normal?

Is it connected to your Vesc?

No, just connected via USB.

I believe there is a post here stating that it needs to be connected to Vesc. When I was setting up mine, nothing happened also when I pressed the buttons. As soon as I connected them, they worked.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

How did your @lrdesigns’s mount? Did you also use double sided tape? I just printed mine but realized this is for surfrodz and I’m using TB trucks or Caliber IIs… I guess it’s time to learn a bit of 3d modeling and remix it.

It printed with no issue on PETG image

1 Like

I did use double sided tape so the screen doesn’t flop around. It was place under the screen opposite to where screen port is. The screen connector prongs were cut a little to get it to work w that enclosure. Otherwise, I can’t screw the lid.

Hope this helps

This is correct, buttons don’t work until connected to vesc

2 Likes

It’s not for any particular truck, so long as your using the old school bolt pattern. The longer of the two patterns. Then the bolt heads can be accessed through the print, but they are not holding it down.

The case is just meant to be stuck down with high quality double tape.

1 Like

@pookybear err the davga logo is meant to be on the right side, its not meant to fit like that. It will fit together much better if you turn the top half 180 deg. There is a locating feature that is meant to make the orientation more obvious, I guess it’s not that effective.

1 Like

You mean this notch?

1 Like