Custom Evolve Carbon GT(10S5p 30Q)(Dual FocBox)(Bluetooth BMS)

Besttech? Don’t you have to have the board turned on to charge?

Files for my bracket if anyone wanted to use it:

4 Likes

Just finished a cover for the bottom wires. Thicker than I wanted so I may print a lower profile version later(maybe with some vents in it too) This is a much better improvement for now though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Love the setup with the FOCBOX’s, what kind of top speed are you getting? I’m a little late, but noticed the run you posted in October came right by my place in Windsor :slightly_smiling_face:

Grew up in Windsor! Crazy small world.

I am getting about 34 mph with the new setup on AT wheels. Probably much faster on 107’s but i never tried

Hi,

I 'll do the same upgrade to focboxes next week. Maybe I missed it, what BMS do you use for charging?

1 Like

You didn’t miss anything. I have been bulk charging since I did the swap. I have the balance leads hanging there in case I want to use them later. I have checked the cells manually a couple times, they haven’t even drifted a tenth of a volt over the last month or so of charging(I would say 60 cycles at least).

I cut the ends off both my evolve chargers and soldered a bullet connector to one wire(+) and the other wire to a single port of the xt-90 connector(the end with the resistor marked in green) and just charge straight to the battery.

I never charge when I am not around to monitor it. If you do this just please be aware that YOU are the BMS for your battery.

Ah. Ok.

My first plan was to use a charger with balancer, but I want to use an external battery pack in addition to my 10S5P to increase the range if needed. So I will intsall a BMS just for charging and use the external balancer from time to time to double check the function of the BMS.

i thought about doing this too, like some sort of extra 10s2p pack I could mount on the back for extra range.

But i decided not to because I don’t think it’s good to be connecting two separate made packs in parallel unless they are going to be permanently connected and charged together.

The cells in the main pack could be more or less degraded than the smaller pack and cause some issues. I could be totally wrong.

The packs won’t be connected in parallel :wink: I will charge my main pack while riding.

Oh so just building a spare battery pack?

Using a 6s Lipo with 16 Ah connected to a DC boost converter connected to the charging port and charging with 5 amps while riding. :slight_smile:

In that scenario, if you hit the brakes from high speed, you could spike the charge current pretty high

We have a few people here using this setup, no issues so far. Even with the original Evolve electronics.

You can also use this setup as a mobile charger.

1 Like

I’m confused… why would you want to use your board to charge another battery? Seems really in efficient…

Hä? The Lipo pack can be used while riding or as a mobile charger while takeing a break. If you don’t want to use it while riding.

Quick update: Yesterday I went to ride the board back from dropping off my girlfriends car at the dealer and it wouldn’t go. Check voltage at the loop key and port i placed underneath: found the board had no voltage.

Took the board home and took the battery out for diagnosis. After checking the balance leads I quickly found out I had a bad parallel pack. When I made the pack, I made 10 separate packs of 5 cells in parallel, and then welded them together in series.

I’m thinking that 1 cell in the parallel pack went bad, and then the other 5 slowly killed themselves. I am not sure if this is from bulk charging(I bulk charged for over 100 cycles im sure). I’m just glad this wasn’t a fire.

I plan to get a bluetooth BMS and install it this time around so I can monitor everything more closely. More pictures to come.

What exactly do you mean “bulk charging”?

No bms, charging using a brick straight to the leads.

1 Like

:open_mouth: