Custom Evolve Carbon GT(10S5p 30Q)(Dual FocBox)(Bluetooth BMS)

Alright, I’ve pulled the trigger - got myself 50 batteries. I just realized I need to spot weld on some nickel plates too - would you mind telling me what size you used?

I used 0.15 for this battery, and I doubled it up.

So about 100 of these should do, right? Is it really necessary to double up though? I’d imagine that a single strip would have sufficient current capacity.

Also, did you run out of Kapton tape? Why the blue painters tape?

those are 6mmx0.15 – those are tiny. I think generally reccomended is 10-12mm wide x0.15. your pack in parallel will put out almost 100 amps, no way these can handle it.

1 Like

Those are garbage don’t buy them. They are fake, and made of steel.

Evolve BMS will only pull 65 amps, however I still think you should double up.

These are better:

https://ru.nkon.nl/accessories/welding-material/nikkel-battijersoldeerstrip-10mm.html

2 Likes

Ok, so something like this would be far better to get then? One meter of a 0.15T*10W mm Pure Nickel Strip.

That seems fine, however there is no way to know you if you will get pure nickel or not from that seller until it arrives and you can rust test it.

Well everyone, I’m sad to report that I was hit by a car today on my CGT. He ran a red light trying to turn right (cali stop):confused: I’m ok and am not hurt luckily (as far as I can tell). I was able to dive off my board and onto the sidewalk. I believe if I didn’t I would be seriously injured or killed. Luckily I was wearing my helmet

My CGT on the other hand was not so lucky. He completely ran over it. I will do an updated assessment on the damage after legal actions are worked out.

2 Likes

That sucks dude, glad your unhurt though.

Nooooo, the CGT!! Good thing you didnt get hit :+1:

Any chance you got insurance info from the driver?

Thank You. It really makes you think about what’s important that’s for sure.

1 Like

Yes I got all his info and a photo of his license. I had the police come and file a report as well. I was lucky that he did not try to run away. I actually had to dislodge my board from under his car.

1 Like

Glad to see you were unhurt. Too bad about your board.

1 Like

Hi! Looks like your wheels are attached wrong way, the tire pattern is like you should ride backwards! :wink: But maybe its just me…:laughing: too much beer.:rofl:

1 Like

Hey Fiori, my spot welder arduino arrived finally - I’m going to get my own project going soon, hopefully I will have a thread like yours here. I was wondering - would kapton tape be sufficient to insulate the battery? I was thinking of also using some foam as insulation in-between the board and the battery since I can not print spacers.

Also, it looks like you welded each cell of 5 batteries together with a single strip of Pure Ni., and then connected 2 sets of one positive cell and one negative cell with a second Pure Ni. strip, while leaving a final positive (?) cell for the series BMS connection unless I am mistaken.

Awesome, it’s a nice little machine.

I think the kapton tape is fine, most people here are using it. I just think that you should have something extra and thicker underneath or on top of it to insulate the terminals better(fish paper, or even blue tape if you can’t find the fish paper). The kapton is really thin. Then just get some of the really wide heat shrink to finish it off.

I think the 3d printed spacers are a must, if you can’t print those you can just use cardboard, playing cards, or even old credit cards if you wanted.

Yea I did 10 sets of 5 cells each. My configuration is very simple. I havne’t done it yet, but I plan to use those drawer liner sheets to use as extra padding(like these: https://goo.gl/ZM5JDb)

For sure, is a 2x50mm wrap from here suitable to wrap each cell? I was going to wrap each cell individually, but It looks like you went with a larger sized wrap for the entire series/both series.

I wrapped each series pack in its own layer of shrink wrap. The 50mm stuff wasn’t wide(tall?) enough for me especially with all the soldering and nickel strip.

Keep in mind I used two layers of 10mmx0.15 nickel.

Hi guys, I’m new here and would like your opinion on a similar topic, I have an evolve GTX and am planning on doing some overseas travel. I would like to convert my boards standard battery to 2-3 smaller batteries that are allowed to be taken on board a flight

I am thinking after i have the correct cells set up, I will get a custom housing made for the underneath of the board so the batteries can be easily removed and replaced, eventually i would like it set up to have swappable batteries on the go

Any suggestions are appreciated

What nickel strips/belts are you guys using for the middle connections? I really would like to use belt-type strips but unsure whether they hold up the load (see below). I’m in the make of a 10s4p VTC6 pack.

If there are belt-type strips suitable for higher currents, do you guys know a reliable source?

(credit whitepony)

1 Like