Custom DIY Carbon-Fiber Build for cheap! Video and Instructable!

Hello everyone! I want to share my newest project, my version 5.0 carbon-fiber electric longboard! This was an experiment in making a carbon-fiber deck, but it turned out very well in my opinion! Best of all, I saved a lot of money by reusing materials around the garage, and it ended up much cheaper than the “world’s first” Entortion deck (not including labor).

It cost me about $75 in materials, but it might cost first-timers up to $150 to make (you need to buy some materials, like the foam, in bulk). It has a compartment for the electronics, plywood supports for the trucks, and a foam core, which greatly decreases the weight, while adding tons of strength. This deck has no flex under 220lbs.

Here’s my obligatory YouTube video on the board. And here is my Instructable, with a lot more pictures and information. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here! :slight_smile:

PS. I am working on solving the clearance issues with this board.

And here’s another awesome pic:

Enjoy!

22 Likes

Well done @VladPomogaev

Thank you :slight_smile:

Well done @VladPomogaev … That’s just awesome :slight_smile:

Chain drive FTW!!!

Wow this is very nice, thanks for sharing ! Do you know how much the final board weight ?

My only problem is that as I understand it, Carbon is lighter but stiffer as a deck, so vibrations transfer to you more directly. That a no-no for me.

Which is why my next build is the same thing, but fiberglass :slight_smile:

Very nice!

You do the same vacuum bag method with the fiberglass?

This looks amazing man. Great work! If I’m not mistaken you have a previous video making a yellow E board as well right? Looks just like this with a chain drive, recognized this was you instantly :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you show me how you make the CF deck?

Edit: never mind sorry didnt see the link

Yes, that’s is correct.

Haha I already used it in my build. When I replace some of the components I’ll weight it, but it seems much lighter than my v4.0 (the Banana Board).

Very nice project. One question. Would it work without the infusion process? Just brushing the epoxy on the CF?

No infusion happened just applied resin squeegee and vacuum bag. Infusion u set everything dry in the bag and then run the resin in If ur saying without a vacuum bag…more resin more weight more brittle less nice finish. Making a bag for cheap is possible. And use peel-ply and breather mesh and that’s all the extra ud need Very nice looking!

1 Like

really nice work! only thing that looks pretty dangerous to me is that the cables exit roadside - that wouldnt last very long for me! :yum:

Would it work without the infusion process? Just brushing the epoxy on the CF?

As Humming mentioned, it’s not infusion, it’s vacuum bagging. And no. You would have a very difficult time getting the carbon-fiber to stick to all of the edges and cracks, and it would compromise the strength.

really nice work! only thing that looks pretty dangerous to me is that the cables exit roadside - that wouldnt last very long for me! :yum:

Check my original post, I am working on fixing that!

This is awesome man! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

I love my CF deck for many reasons (looks, weight-less-ness, control at speed. BUT for longer rides the vibration transfer and overall Ferrari like ride is tough so I find myself wearing my cushy running sneakers on longer rides. I prefer to ride in my Vans or the like. I saw the AVENUE suspension skateboard trucks and emailed the company to see if they plan on making a long board version. They said yes but not in very near future. I think this may very well be the solution that those of us craving stiff yet ultra light weight decks to accommodate extended ride battery packs need to get the ride quality back to what we had with more flexible wood and fiberglass decks. Maybe a few more requests from us long board riders might be enough of a push to get them to speed up development time frame for those of us long boarders.