Custom built battery packs in Australia 10s4p 30Q Evolve upgrade or DIY

I wouldn’t bother with anything less than Samsung 30q. Otherwise you are probably wasting your money. The others will know more about bms recommendations.

1 Like

Hmm I have been hearing that a lot actually. Trend seems to be LG, Sony or Samsung and the Sony batteries had a pointless aspect to them that I can’t exactly remember the term for and were less reliable according to a few folks who’d had them done. Dunno about LG but Samsung is definitely the go then. Cheers!

Its a demon carbon wood slaying beast nightmare. Bit of a mouthful I know but its a work in progress

1 Like

Would love to upgrade my evolve gt, just not getting the range I need for my commute. @TinnieSinker keen to order if you want to PM me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey mate, I’ll put you on the list. you’ll have to use the stock bms if you want to use the rest of the stock electronics. you won’t be disappointed with 30Q’s :+1:

just noticed your name, did you hit me up on messenger today? :smile:

Well this is the biggest one so far😁 12s5p with bestech bms

Ready for dual focbox. IMG_20180828_224652

IMG_20180828_224818

6 Likes

Hey @TinnieSinker is it possible to change to 10s 40A (for charge only setup) $45? If I’m not locked in to the 80A Bestechpower BMS. If you’ve already purchased it I’ll cover it and eBay it no problem.

I believe the deck is being send to @psychotiller today.

Yea no problem.

1 Like

Damn even get that TinnieSinker branding on it, love it man

1 Like

Hey @TinnieSinker, do you solder to the strips before or after you weld them to the cells?

1 Like

Hey man, a bit of both actually. before buying a better soldering iron I had to do it before welding. now that I’ve upgraded to more power and a better tip, I can solder on after welding without the cells heating up more than 30-40c. Soldering in between the cells and using a flux pen make a big difference but I think the shape of the tip helped the most.

Made an account just for you :slight_smile: I don’t really know much about the battery or electronics. But i’m wondering what pack i can fit into a CGT and will i need to get one of those bestechpower BMS. I’m in bris and money is no issue (:

Hi I’m also in Bris and need a new battery for my CGT. Has anybody given feedback on range and hill climbing ability for different packs? I’m down to 10km range and hills sap the battery down to eco mode after about 7km. Would the new batteries work ok with evolves standard and fast charger? Thanks

@asianrambo @Zook hey guys, so the CGT can kinda fit a 10s5p. its a super squeeze. @Pokwer is working on a riser that will make it so much easier. otherwise, a 10s4p is an easy fit.

you’ll need to take the BMS from the stock battery and attach it to the new one. desolder 3 wires then resolder.

with my 10s4p I get around 22km with AT setup and easy throttle or 18ish if i’m hard on it. curious for others to chime in here too :+1:

1 Like

Hey all, yeah I definitely wouldn’t recommend anything bigger than a 10S4P in a CGT unless you make a spacer/riser to lower the motor controller and it’s heatsink so the original BMS can sit on top of the lowered motor controller.

I’m happy with my final design, there’s enough clearance for the motor and bms wires and have done a couple test prints @ 50% infill. The final will be 100% infill with ABS since PLA is just too brittle.

Am currently on holidays but am keen to get back and do some tests with the spacer and @TinnieSinker 10S5P he made me. :+1:

ok my answer for a range extender using 18v 4ah tool batteries and dc to dc converter, plan to set current to around 4amps to charge port which means battery should last around 20mins given some losses in converter etc. 4 amps may not be much but will be interesting to see the results, mock up done just waiting on dc converter20180905_123612%5B1%5D20180905_123646%5B1%5D20180905_123827%5B1%5D

2 Likes

Hey @TinnieSinker, are you able to build a 10s4p pack for an older Evolve Carbon (not GT)? Also, any idea of shipping to Perth? I would prefer XT-60 output connector.

postage shouldn’t be any more than $30 - I ship whole boards for $32. Hey @TinnieSinker - lets grab a cold one

1 Like

Haha yeah man, one of the guys in the Bris/Gold Coast Evolve group linked you on fb after I’d found this thread. Tbh I’m not confident at all with touching the electronics in the board so I wanted to ask if you’d be cool with me bringing my board to you to get the bms swapped over whenever the pack is ready for it? Also Brisbane based and not fussed about travelling anyway so it’s easy for me if that works for you. Oh and if you could estimate how long it’d be before then can you let me know? In the process of saving for this atm so gives a good idea of how long it’s gonna take to get that sorted. Cheers man.

Hey @TinnieSinker, I’m interested in getting an upgrade for my Bamboo GT. I’m South Brisbane based so kinda local. I’m starting to not get enough range for my commute since I live in a kinda hilly area so will probably need the 10s4p 30Q pack. Pm me what I need to do. thanks.