Custom built battery packs in Australia 10s4p 30Q Evolve upgrade or DIY

Hey @MaxMalouf I wouldn’t have a clue about BMS’s but I’m going to need one how much is the Bestechpower 10s 80A?

Thanks @TinnieSinker …its going to be a long wait hahaha I’ve picked @psychotiller Maytech 6369 200kv motors she’s going to hall ase …… I’ll have to be on my best behaviour…Respect

2 Likes

@mars details have been added to the main post - the 10s 80A is $85

@MaxMalouf this bms is way overkill for a 3p. you could go a charge-only bms or find a smaller/cheaper 50A ish bms

2 Likes

Thanks @TinnieSinker I’ll ave one please.

1 Like

@TinnieSinker I am upgrading my current setup (Focbox & 6374) to a (Dual Focbox 6374) and if possible wanted to have an absolute beast with 60a (battery) each motor. I won’t be doing this upgrade for a while and wanted to go all out if I was going to buy a pack. I can only fit a 10s4p so if I wanted a 120a battery it would have to be made out of Sony Konion vtc6 cells.

Would you ever consider making a pack out of these cells? Would a BMS for 120a even exist? Would this 10s4p be a fortune to make?

Just wondering, Thanks.

TinneSinker haha ripper name xD. hey you wouldn’t happen to have a few (25 or so of those 30Q’s)?

@MaxMalouf That would indeed be a beast! Something I’ve noticed after using the Metr Bluetooth for a while now is that real-world amp usage isn’t necessarily reflected by the amp rating on the pack. While it will have better performance than 30Q’s, even if you do somehow pull 120a, it will only be burst. For comparison, my board is 10s4p 30Q with Focbox’s and evolve AT setup. I did some hill tests the other week. there are a couple 24% hills near me, the most I pulled was a peak of 58A with an average of 30-40A. The biggest hill I went up, which was a minute of varying inclines, pulled between 30-50 amps for that duration. Similar results for off-road/grass hills and such.

So obviously your board will be different, your motors are much larger and I don’t know what your setup is. this is just to give you an idea of what to expect. I think these cells and those motors will really shine when you’re at low or medium speed on a grass/dirt hill and trying to go faster(or just go at all) - that’s when mine struggles!

I’m not trying to talk you out of it! What I’m getting at is I don’t think you’ll need a 120a BMS. as long as it can handle bursts of 120 without shutting off the power. The 80A cuts power at 120 or 140 I think. I know they do a 90A version so I’ll look into that, maybe they do higher!

Getting the vct6 cells is a little more complicated as the nkon site for international sales only has the button top. There’s a guy in Melbourne that bought a shit ton of these cells in flat top, so much that they only cost him slightly more than what i get the 30Q’s for. He builds esk8 packs as well, I’ll find his details. (maybe I shouldn’t reply right after drinking coffee, feel like I’ve been rambling!:joy:)

1 Like

Thanks!:joy: I have more orders than cells but let me just check, if I have some left but not enough for a pack I’ll consider them ‘spare’

1 Like

Do the Bestech 80A come with a switch?

yep, they have the switch function, but not the actual switch just wires to attach a switch (5v)

@TinnieSinker Yeah I live in Brisbane around the Toowong area so it is extremely hilly where I am. A 32% hill is around the corner from my house so I really want to be able to eat up the hills, it would be great if that 80a BMS could do the 120a but if I really wanted to I could use 2x 60a BMS for the 10s4p. haha, maybe a bit overkill. What is that guy’s name/contact? Thanks.

1 Like

I have a Bamboo gt AT for 2 months now and all is going well for now, I decided to go this route instead of building one, but have done the research on vescs etc. I understand the limitations of the evolve battery and would be interested in a replacement 18650 pack in a few months when my original pack dies. will you still be making these in a couple of months or do I need to order one now for use later? I would make one myself but I don’t have a spot welder and to buy one for a one off job doesn’t make a lot of sense to me! I have seen a clip of a cgt board with a external battery stuck on top of the board just wired in parallel with the original battery which got me thinking if the charge current for a lion is about 1c and you attach a fully charged bat to a drained bat without some sort of current limiter that would not be good for the original battery! but if you used a couple of tool batteries (thinking of Aldi 4ah bats $40 I read these use samsung cells probably not 30q but should be rated for high discharge rate for tools) 2 of these in series (36v) paralleled to a charged original battery would be a cheap way to extend range and original battery life, any thoughts on this??

1 Like

These batteries aren’t wired in parallel, they’re just a 6s (22.2v nominal) lipo between 10-20AH connected to a dc boost step-up inverter dialed up to match the same voltage as your AC charger. So 42v @ 2A to match the non fast charger version of Evolve’s charger. The step-up inverter than just plugs in to the existing charging port, so in essence it’s just always trickle charging like it does at home.

1 Like

What you are describing via the charge port is not what I am talking about the Aldi bat is 5s2p made up of 2000mah 18650 cells as far as I can tell But that aside what I am proposing is wiring a 2nd 36v battery directly into the output of the original battery in parallel of course so the end result will simply be a higher capacity battery, the bms will still only monitor the original cells and the external battery will have to be managed on their own charger, overall less current draw on the original cells may mean a longer life, this would only be a cheap stop gap measure as a quality replacement with good 18650 cells is the best way to go I feel just such a waste of a perfectly good evolve battery to do it now!

1 Like

I was responding in relation to you saying you’ve seen a clip of a CGT board with external battery on top. Those packs which are quite popular at the moment all wire to the charging port and not directly to your existing batteries BMS or motor controller.

What you’re asking for is messy and will still result in you needing to open/void up your existing battery to wire additional packs to the same terminals as the existing battery. If you’re going to do that you may as well just be done with it and get a whole new 18650 with your current batteries bms and use your left over prismatic cells in a booster pack? That way your existing evolve battery has a use and isn’t a waste?

1 Like

hey man, I will continue building just a little slower in the summer.

I’m working on a piggyback battery at the moment actually. the kind that goes through the charge port like @Pokwer mentioned.

I guess its possible to connect another pack in parallel. generally, its best to use two identical batteries for parallel but if they both have a bms maybe it would work. I’m not really sure.

here is another thread that we might have highjacked to talk about extender batteries.:flushed:

thanks I will contact you when mine is showing signs of dying

1 Like

Hahahha looks like you took the lead and now everyone else is motivated to do it. I may take my own advice and use the exisiting new prismatic cells and change them to a 5S2P type wiring so I can charge them and balance with a 5s Lipo plug.

1 Like

@wazza11 Your battery is done. hit me up when you’re ready @Andr3s @kalebludlow you’re both up in the next week or so.

1 Like

Awesome, money is sitting there waiting to go

1 Like

Hey mate, also super keen! Near brand new carbon gt owner here with sag hitting at only 12km into a ride… I’d be keen for a 10s5p configuration, just wondering what you’d recommend for bms and what battery brands you’re open to using. Obviously cost changes with those factors but I’d budget for quality where an expert believes it’s beneficial to do.