Custom built battery packs in Australia 10s4p 30Q Evolve upgrade or DIY

You should borrow a friends battery, swap it out to test and then if it still doesn’t work give it to evolve hq @ Varsity to “service”. Definitely send it back with a genuine battery otherwise they won’t help.

Just fyi, even out of warranty they only charge $100 to diagnose, find the fault and if need be replace the upper motor controller board which is the one that’d be fried. Their service team are very helpful and reasonable. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve heard positive things on Nkon as well so I’m optimistic about the cell quality and legitimacy!

1 Like

Loving the progress! Looks like you have a great setup too. Any idea when you think my pack will be ready? Honestly no rush, just wondering when I’ll need to get the cash ready.

Also, since I’ll be seeing you in person to pickup in Brisbane is there any chance of you soldering those negative wires to the existing BMS I’ll bring? Again no stress if you’d rather not, just thought I’d ask!

Cheers.

1 Like

Hi Pokwer, thanks for the advice. I spoke to them if I send an email detailing the problem they will send me a motor controller about $190. Although the GTX is still under warranty just, I’m not looking to fudge it.

I agree their service team are very helpful, giving me better deals than advertised and throwing in little extras like bearings, washers, reply paid post, even a set knee pads.There is a lot of negative talk but in my experience they’ve been second to none. Of course I’m not asking them for there source codes lol.

I have 3 second hand GTX’s 5 cycles 30 cycles and 350. The 350 cycles is the problem ………but its gives me the opportunity to modify haha. Luckily I’ve hit the ground running buying them at half price. The best bang for buck I could find here.

I would love to have a LaCroix…Carvon ….Psychotiller….longhairedboy……Raptor…Kaly-nyc or Janux-esk8…UNIKBOARDS…DIY torqueboards…++++ ect sorry I’m drooling. But with the exchange rates, freight, GST, import duties. Its nice to dream: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Haha you’re pretty much in the same situation as me… My first Evolve was a BGT and I got that for $500 which had problems but was still within warranty and luckily the previous owner kept the receipt in the box so they fixed the issues free of charge.

Am currently rebuilding a CGT which I got for only $100 but was in unknown condition, the carbon board itself was fine with no marks/cracks. The motor controller ended up working once I added a battery, ditto the motors work fine too so really happy to have this build with one of these custom 18650 batteries considering it didn’t come with a battery. Plus as you’d know since you’re wanting an 18650, their batteries suck anyway.

Yeah I probably wouldn’t buy an Evolve if I lived overseas, compared to the other boards on offer they’re definitely the best priced and with Australian consumer law on our side their servicing/repairs are really good. I’d love to get the new Raptor but yeah that price is just too much, she’s a tank though and from what I’ve seen online is built like one.

Have recently starting looking as the Kaly-NYC and also Trampa. I like the look of the Trampa wheels so much that I got a set of the Superstar Hubs with 6.5" Urban Treads tyres for my Carbon GT build.

You won’t need the whole motor controller the bottom board (the one with the heatsink on it) never really fails, it’s always the upper board. The upper has the plugs to the motors/batteries etc plus the bluetooth adapter which is what pairs to your controller. They definitely only charge $100 for it, if you need help getting them to reach that price I can send you through service receipts confirming the price. But then again if it’s still under warranty just send them the board and get it for free!

If you ever feel generous and want to unload one of those GTX’s keep me in mind lol :wink:

I don’t know about you but I can’t find an active Gold Coast/Brisbane esk8 riders group to go on group rides with? Evolve do one on the GC very rarely and I don’t like the fact it’s limited to Evolve boards. If there’s enough of us in here from Bris/GC we should arrange to go on some rides together? Is always better in a group!

Have a good one.

1 Like

Bris/GC group eSk8 rides Shit yeah, I’m new to esk8 but I believe Jebe and TinnieSinker are in Bris…

If there is some interest we could list our favourite rides, group vote then work our way through the list. The winner responsible for useful info eg; safety terrain local knowledge. Do you want to start a thread, topic, post, expression of interest?

Already sounds like a lot of work responsibility Mabey we should just hook-up and ride. lol

Yes the Kaly-NYC and Trampa look insanely good. I’ll never forget when the Evolve GTX arrived from “eBay” street mode look. It took my breath away, I near shit myself.

“unload one of those GTX’s” :joy: at the moment it would be like cutting off my left……. But if its to happen you get first option lol

Bris/GC group eSk8 rides ……Lets do it. Even if it’s just us hahahaha

Are Yes apologies TinnieSinker for being off topic…If your up for it I’ll hit you up for my next battery.

2 Likes

Haha your thought process is about as random as mine :rofl:. Yeah let’s at very least just put the idea out on here and see if anyone else is interested? If not the backup plan of just us is solid lol.

Apologies for going off topic and hijacking your thread @TinnieSinker. :+1:

3 Likes

all good, Im down for group rides!

I was finally able to fit a pack into BGT last night. all went well. the bms plug fits nice and snug without trimming. I didn’t realise they used 14awg in there. the 10awg made it 2mm too wide. had to trim a little but no problem. I’ll use 14 or 12awg in the future. The new pack is also a bit longer but with the 10mm riser, we were able to relocate the BMS on top of the motor controller.

IMG_20180723_233044

Progress update: Slight delay waiting for supplies to arrive. I wasn’t expecting the cells to arrive so soon plus i thought i had enough for now. i was wrong!

@dareno done, waiting for 12s bms @Fox210 should have more wire by the end of the week @Pokwer waiting for nickel - 2ish weeks @peteprez as above

round 2 - cells ordered, arriving in 2-4 weeks @kalebludlow
@wazza11 @Andr3s +Non-esk8 customer

Round 3 - ordered after round one is complete @Wraith
@mars ? hopefully, I haven’t missed anyone.

@Pokwer will solder for tinnies =)

6 Likes

Thanks for the update @TinnieSinker! Hoping I can still change my order to a 12s + bms :smile:

Hahah champion, you got it… Thanks for the update, this next 2 weeks is going to drag. Lets do a southbank/city/gardens group ride sometime soon. Am not sure what everyone’s schedule is like but how about we pencil in one in the next month?

What are these 12s’s for you’ve done? Obviously not for an evolve board? :slight_smile:

Haha nope, the one pictured in the stand is a 12s4p for a carbon street beast and the other two are 12S5p.

I’ve ordered a few bestech bms’s. Have 2x 10s 80A available and 2x charge-only 10s

good news, I’ve added one 12s bms to the order.

I love that we have someone in Aus that is building batteries. Keep it up man, I might get you to make me a pack sooner or later.

Also Is this guy your sworn enemy?

2 Likes

Siiiick. Keen as. Have you actually installed one of these packs into an Evolve CGT yet? :slight_smile: Fit OK?

Wait what, how can you do 12S when the battery Evolve BMS only supports 10S I thought? Also that’d change the voltage to not be 4.2 x 10 = 42v (fully charged) and instead be 4.2 * 12 being 50.4v fully charged? I would have thought that the BMS would then only charge to 42V leaving the cells under charged?

Have just re-read your message, by nope I think you’re actually saying no to it being an Evolve and not a no to me. It threw me off when you said Carbon, I just thought you meant Carbon GT lol.

1 Like

Nice somebody in Australia, I have some people who have contact my for a custom pack, but I can’t ship to Australia :neutral_face:

If somebody contact me I will reffer to you

1 Like

sorry, that was vague! it’s a carbon deck but not a CGT. didn’t really know what to call it haha

1 Like

Only a Bamboo GT so far.

heres how the battery guy does it with a 10s5p. looks like he takes the heatsink off the bms and re-installs it upside down. 10s4p should be an easy swap

Thanks mate! being on an island makes shipping anything a pain, particularly batteries! :unamused:

2 Likes