Custom built battery packs in Australia 10s4p 30Q Evolve upgrade or DIY

You are a gentleman, and a scholar! If you want any little bits of acrylic laser cut to help hold batteries whilst you tack them, like I’ve used here, just let me know, free of charge, happy to help you back!

1 Like

Hey mate, I am also looking to buy a new battery replacement for my evolve gtx and can pick up in brissy. How do i contact you directly on here?lol

1 Like

cool man. yea its weird i know. click on the name and then in the popup click message. but i’ll send you a PM now

Hi also, looks like your pretty busy mate but I’d really love to get a battery upgrade for my Evolve bamboo GTX when you have time. I wouldn’t mind knowing how much battery range increase I can get over the stock battery, based on the different battery configurations available. I get about 10-15kms now in GT MODE. I’m in North Brisbane also. Cheers.

Range is super subjective, the biggest factor with range would be how much elevation/hills there are on your ride. Also street gives you double the range vs AT.

Evolve’s 10S1P packs do offer their full advertised capacity of 10AH, I’ve done load tests to confirm it.

In real world terms, with a 10S4P which is all you can fit on a GTX you’re going from 10AH to 12AH. 30Q’s in 4P have a higher amp draw than the original Evolve prismatic cells so you won’t notice voltage sag as quickly.

1 Like

Range is subjective, and battery capacity advertisements are often vague also. The Evolve packs are 10AH, but only if you have a low load current. If you do a real specification like 10AH @ 10A >3.2V/cell , they can’t do it. Even with low power like 200W, the cells will trip the BMS before 8Ah.

1 Like

@Lexitron I’ll let you know when i have more ready, probably late next month

to summarise what has been mentioned, most people with AT’s get around 22km from “fun” riding or more from cruising speeds.

1 Like

@TinnieSinker super keen to get 10s4p build. How do I get a hold of you?

@zackrockz this probably counts, i have your name on the list. which kind of board to you have?

I wont have the cells for about a month.

@TinnieSinker have the Carbon GT. Just to confirm, will this build fit the CGT (plug and play) with no modifications to the deck? Also, I’m in Brissy so could arrange a pickup anytime. Cheers.

@zackrockz no mods to the deck.

I have a 10s5p, 15AH battery in stock, no deck mods required just a riser for the ESC. which i can get for you.

PM’d

Just going to say that anyone considering a @TinnieSinker battery go ahead and do it. Think its safe to say I was one of his earlier customers and my unit is a brilliant bit of kit. Hundred or so cycles now and it still performs like new. Very well built, quality power pack. Highly recommended. Thanks Jai. Be seeing you soon.

4 Likes

What are your thoughts @TinnieSinker / everyone about doing a 10s5p battery rather than the 10s4p for my Bamboo GTX?

It seems it would require make the battery enclosure longer and also routing the board to make room for the stacked BMS. I have zero experience in this but would be willing to try, any thought would be appreciated.

I had also considered alternatively buying a Carbon GT as if Im not mistaken these can fit 10s5p, only requiring a spacer for the heat sink.

Here is a useful link i found for GTX 10s5p upgrade

Could I also ask, if I want to keep my old battery, would I need to order one of the alternate BMS you mentioned earlier in the post? Are these fully compatible? And would this then make the battery plug and play no soldering required (on my part)

Thanks Again!

1 Like

interesting! i didn’t know it had been done. seems like a bit of work but if you’re up for it, i’ll happily sell you the battery. in fact i have 1 10s5p left instock.

another option would be to replace the enclosure. I have one from @Eboosted that fits the bgt and will hold a 10s5p. i think its the universal 62cm enclosure. although you’d have to cut a hole for the heat sink so still some work to do.

Theres a chance i’ll get around to building a vacuum forming box big enough for long enclosures. stranger things have happened!

the CGT is the easiest to upgrade

with the old battery, you could put a bms on it. a cheap one might suffice, depends on what you want to use the battery for

1 Like

Would love to get my gtx battery upgraded , would be a cheaper way then buying newer version . I don’t have the slightest clue how to install a new battery pack though.

If anyone knows someone who does upgrades and installations around sydney/ wollongong area that would be awesome. If not i have three options learn how to install new battery, stick with current setup or just buy the new GTR.

1 Like

its not super hard to install. maybe i’ll make up a guide the next i do one. but watch some how to solder wires and plugs videos on youtube and see if its something you feel like doing

although now i think about it, might be cheaper to ship your old battery to me than buying a soldering iron

1 Like

How come it would work out cheaper to send old battery your way ?

pretty average soldering iron, about $40. sending me your old battery is about $20-25.

Part of the installation is taking the BMS off the old battery and putting onto the new one. If i do that part for you then all you have to do is put the riser under the esc/heatsink and plug the battery in. ezpz

1 Like

So It would like putting cord A with A and c with C. A straight plug and play or solidering is also required. Just wanted to clarify further :+1::sunglasses:

2 Likes

The process is covered loads online, either you solder 3 wires to the bms from the new battery or you send the battery in and get TinnieSinker to do it. It doesn’t sound like you’re too confident so the later option is probably the way to go.

2 Likes