Custom built battery packs in Australia 10s4p 30Q Evolve upgrade or DIY

Hi I’m in Brisbane and interested in picking up a battery pack for an Evolve GT. Not 100% sure on which one I want and I can do quite a bit of soldering or 3D printing myself.

Hey mate, the best fit and most popular is a 10s4p with 30Q’s, which is 12AH.

fitting isn’t too hard. bit of soldering, spacer for the enclosure and a riser for the ESC helps a lot.

Since the whole enclosure needs to be spaced away from the board you don’t need to worry about adding the extra spacer on the motor controller, the extra spacing for the cells gives enough clearance for the bms on the motor controller.

You only need the motor controller spacer for the GTX since the deck is hollowed out and the 30Q cells fit in a pack as is, ditto with the Carbon GT.

The pic shows my old BGT with the enclosure spacer only. :+1: image

@McBanjo as luck would have it, I’ve just finished building two this evening $440

thanks @Pokwer you’d think i’d know this by now haha

@Pokwer did you use neoprene foam for the enclosure?

Haha all good, no there’s a good model on Thingiverse which is broken up into 4 pieces so it can fit on most 3D printers. My enclosure was about 4mm longer and wider so just had to make a couple changes before printing so it’d fit.

Can you give some thought on assembling 2 joined packs totalling 10S10P which is split into 2 x 50 packs? One for inside the Carbon GT and the other in a custom enclosure I’ll attach to the bottom? Still need to have the balance wires going to the same Evolve plug to use the BMS like before. Will perhaps relocate the power switch from the Carbon deck so we can use that to run the wires to join the packs?

With AT’s there’ll still be loads of clearance, it’ll kinda be like a bamboo GT with cells attached to the bottom while also inside the deck as usual too. Hahah. :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

haha alrighty, you must really hate charging XD

3 Likes

Finally back to regular building :grinning:

IMG_20190402_173825

Upgraded my cheapo Ozitto drill too haha IMG_20190401_180732

8 Likes

Can you ship to the Philippines? I need to upgrade my CGT battery to a 10s5p :slight_smile:

Fantastic thread, New Zealand makes it difficult to get batteries in, so I’m spot welding my own up, like yours and LHB. What settings do you use on the .15 nickel strip to spot nicely to the cells on your Sunko 788H may I ask?

Good to see you back at it mate! Are you by any chance in the ‘Electric Riders Melbourne’ group on Facebook? A few people lately been looking for BGT and CGT battery upgradess and it would be great to have you in there so I can easily refer them to you

1 Like

@dinoe as far as I know, shipping anywhere overseas is not possible or crazy expensive. DHL say they ship them but I’m not sure what the size limit is

@Wizeartz I use an Arduino welder now but from memory it was 02 80 or 02 60

@kalebludlow yeah I’m in there, just lurking in the background haha

1 Like

1 Like

no wonder girls wont talk to me! :flushed:

do you still have you’re old spot welder?

i do, but only because i have been too lazy to sell it

Im in brisbane and would be interested in buying, I might be able to pick it up even, where are you located?

1 Like

Thanks bud, tacked up some pack using 80-02 with the current(?) set to about 6 yesterday and they’re strong as a strong thing. Thanks for your guidance!!!

Hey TS, I found the 11 pin plug that works a treat, but what JST connector type are you crimping onto your 26AWg balance wires please? Your thread has been very helpful thus far thank you!!! image

glad to hear it man. There is a jst PA terminal to suit that plug

https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-connector-contacts/4766748/

1 Like