Creating battery

Dear friends, I want to create a battery that is 10s. How many 18650’s cells are needed? I do not have a spot welder. Is their any way to make a battery WITHOUT a spot welder? My goal is simple, I want to make a battery as cheaply as I can that is safe.

It’s really not recommend to solder the batteries as it can damage them. Us the search function on the forum you’l find all the information you need. This topic has been covered throughly.

1 Like

You can make a pack without a spot welder, but your iron needs to be Very hot to melt the solder as fast as possible so as little heat is transfered to the cell.

the minimum of cells for a 10s1p is 10. so upgrade to 10s2p would be 20 … and so forth.

There are some very good resources on this forum, just search for it and youll be sorted.

you can use NESE packs. You can get them at 18650.lt I use them and no problem. There are also others who have made builds with these modules.

The cell count depends on how much cells you want to add in parallel. 10s x p cells = cells you need

I know 10s means I only need 10 cells, however I want to be able to ride my skateboard fast up hills. So I want to be able to supply enough power to go 35 mPh.

Yes that looks like a good option, but those configurations are so small. They are also not customizable. But, alas I wouldn’t have to use a spot welder.

Which cells you plan to use?

What makes you think I have to put any in parallel? I can put them all in series

Because no any 18650 can output so much current that you can reach your required speed.

what? as andy said. There is no single 18650 that delivers enough power or capacity.

1 Like

I am confused as to what you mean. It can’t be done or hasn’t been done?

Yeah you’d have a 10S 36V nominal, with about 2.5Ah so you’d get about five miles assuming you can get going without sagging the cells to 0 volts.

The amp draw is the problem no single 18650 can supply the power needed in terms of amps, the watts delivered to the components is the voltage times amps, most cells will have something like 20A max discharge so you need them in parallel to deliver enough amps. Also 2.5Ah is not a lot of capacity for range.

2 Likes

When did I say I wanted a single 18650?

Look Your 10s battery can max output 20-30a. If you add cells in parallel the current they can output add up 2p 40-60a 3p 60-90a and so on but for every p-group you need another 10 cells in series. So a 10s4p would be 40cells Or 10packs in series which each 4cells in parallel

2 Likes

When you connect cells in series you increase voltage but the amps you can draw and the amp hours capacity can only be increased by putting more cells in parallel.

1 Like

Those not too small, it’s just one of the series packs. You need 10 of this packs to create your 10s battery you want to build. Each pack connect the cells in parallel inside, not in series

Guys let him use the search function, spoon feeding him this info won’t help him in the long run.

Making batteries is a serious matter and should not be attempted unless you have a basic understanding how they work and you clearly do not.

Do your self a favor buy this book and read and study it as much as you can before you attempt to make a battery. These things have enough amps to kill you don’t underestimate their power. DIY Lithium Batteries: How to Build Your Own Battery Packs https://www.amazon.com/dp/0989906701/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZIZ3Bb0EVR6E1

12 Likes

Yah fair point. Regarding amps though we don’t deal with high enough voltages for it to be a problem (unless you stab yourself with the probes your skin has pretty high resistance) except when it comes to vaporizing wires and blowing up cells if they over heat but agreed it’s not something to just jump into without a good understanding of electricity.

1 Like

Without a solder as well.