Cotter/Clevis Pins

Has Anyone used cotter or clevis pins to mount enclosures for quick removal? If so please send pictures, or describe your setup. Thanks

1 Like

please use the search function up top.

Found this post with these images

sorry will do next time

2 Likes

I’m fairly certain that @lowGuido invented cotter pins :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use clevis / cotter pins on my two boards after getting fed up with unfastening a bunch of screws every time I had to service them.

they’re really convenient and quick. also cheap on McMaster-Carr. just make sure to use rubber or some type of dampening washer to eliminate vibrations.

the only downside is the clevis pin head sits atop the deck and with a rubber washer end up being like 2mm bumps. sometimes shoes can get caught momentarily.

1 Like

Which one did you get. I tried looking for these at Lowe’s and Home Depot and all they had were huge ones. I plan to use these on the next build. I too am tired of those 8-10 bolts I had to remove maybe like 20 times in the last build.

Size?!

frustrates me that it’s in imperial but here goes:

clevis pin

cotter pin

rubber washer

zoom in, you can see it installed here:

4 Likes

@thisguyhere want a set to try?

2 Likes

omg so sexy, yes please.

was just thinking lately how the bumps on the deck surface is kind of annoying.

how many pins are you using across the whole enclosure?

Forgot to say its printed in flex.

Haven’t mounted up yet, still weighing options. I thought the cotter pins would be fast to unmount but omg not with my fingers. So I’d need to add pliers or something to my load out…

PM me your address and how many you need.

can’t you just drill a countersink hole?

3 Likes

holy shit that’s brilliant.

damn that 4.3gpa doing wonders.

will try it and report back

2 Likes

The clevis pin head is square (not chamfered aka diagonal), so it’d be kind of a pain in the ass to do this countersink with the hole already there. Maybe use the typical chamfer bit to open it up and let the wood conform to the metal…

And I was mixing up lowguido and this implementation, thinking the rubber washer went between the clevis head and board for anti-rattle or to distribute pressure from that tiny head. Doh!

You can use a paddle drill bit the same diameter as the head of the pin and make the hole deep enough that it the entire pin head sits flush with the deck and then grip right over it.

Depending on relative hole sizes, this is hard to do if the main hole is already there, as the point of the paddle bit doesn’t have anything to reference against. I think…

1 Like

Sure its not that easy but shouldn’t be too hard take your time or use a drill press. I purchased a craftsman drill press circa 1950s for less than $50 on Craigslist and yes it works they don’t make tools like they used to.

1 Like

Dzus fastener. Open it with a coin…

3 Likes

I checked these out. The cat’s meow but takes a bunch of space. Beautiful in your application.

1 Like