Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

Please share your watch model and Android OS versions (both phone and watch)

For some reason it took about 24hrs for the app to finally sync lol!

1 Like

Hola!

:es:@tueboard and :de:@hexakopter contributed Spanish and German translations. I’m sure some people will find it very useful. Danke!

• The app now records fault codes and displays them on the chart. Now you will know exactly when something bad happened to your VESC.

• Apple Watch support is now LIVE!

• I think I solved some of the mysteries of @hexakopter’s ride Dec 17, 2016 - metr.at | EKA4T

1. Distance was negative because it is calculated based on tacho count from VESC. The app remembers the tacho count at the start of the record and in the end of the record. Then it does tachoToDistance(tachoEnd - tachoStart). Tacho values come from VESC. tachoStart was lower than tachoEnd because VESC lost the power after reset. That’s why distance was negative.
  2. Energy was negative because of the same reason. I fixed both distance and energy and now they should display correct values even if the VESC was reset during the recording.

@guyguy I will add battery gauge tile :slight_smile:

@laurnts It’s unfortunate your configuration was lost. I don’t know why this happened, the layout should stay the same after you update. Let me know if this happens again. And you are right about icons not telling the full story. I added labels for each tile which you can see now in Editing Mode:

4 Likes

Thank you for the apple watch support!! just got it installed and set up, going to go a ride now and test it out!

1 Like

Very nice update! will test the apple watch app tonight.

I noticed in the last week I sometimes loose the record. Maybe because the app closes on the background? But it happened multiple times after different duration. Maybe it will solve if by activating screen on option.

However it would be nice if the record would automatically save every xx seconds.

Awesome, thanks for adding this!

1 Like

Looks nice. Do you use Swift or Objective-C (or both) for IOS?

I am not sure but maybe he isn’t using a line of Swift or Objective-C. Maybe he is using a cross-platform IDE to make apps for both iOS and Android. :blush:

@rpasichnyk Nice to have Apple Watch support now, too. Sad that I don’t have a smart watch. Would be the easiest way to check the speed and battery while riding.

@rpasichnyk ordered 2 modules. If you need someone to translate the app into french i m there. I ordered a 4.8 and i own VESC X and normal VESC from enertion. Will it be cood ?

@sebaszz Thank you for reporting this problem. Loosing record is not cool! Sometimes iOS can kill the application when in the background. Hopefully with the latest update the situation gets a little bit better. The app saves the record on “low memory warning” so at least some data will survive. I will investigate this further, perhaps there could be other cases.

@zmoney I use Qt. The app is mostly written in C++ and QML but I do use Objective-C and Swift and Java because not everything is possible with Qt.

@ElskerShadow I really appreciate your help with the French translation. Thank you! You need to check how many pins you have on I2C/UART/ADC port (marked red).

It’s 6 pins on the picture because the VESC is of earlier revision (VESC 4.6). You can check your revision or just count the number of pins. The newer VESC has 7 pins. If your VESC is from Enertion there is a chance it doesn’t have JST PH housing connector (marked red).

I include the missing housing connector with my transmitter which you can solder.

how does the onebox thing work with the nice animated gif’s you have?

I copied the link in an message but I just see the url.

This is btw an exampe of the data that sometimes happens. Since the last update I don’t entire loose the data anymore, it keeps recording but no new data from the vesc.

any idea?

the vesc is really pushed to it’s limit :slight_smile:

1 Like

@sebaszz I didn’t know you live nearby! I live in Rotterdam! that 60km/h is fast!

Recieved it today, works perfectly (y) Nice job there @rpasichnyk, it’s almost plug and play :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes it looks like no data from bluetooth is coming but GPS and barometer keep functioning properly. The bluetooth drops just about 30 seconds after start. However on the other record you have 3 minutes without issues. I actually don’t know what’s wrong, might be because of high currents creating electromagnetic fields around the transmitter. Maybe you could try to position transmitter differently if it happens again. And if it happens again, please go to Settings tab and click “Send logs” and drop me a message after that.

You ride very fast, I hope you wear all kinds of protective gear :construction_worker:

Plugged it to my VESC, are there supposed to be lights when powered? Nothing’s happening…

No lights. Have you enabled UART?

Ok, I think I got it to work, at least the app find the BT module. Thanks.

1 Like

Oneboxing is online and it’s beautiful, isn’t it?

3 Likes

i think it’s also related that the bluetooth module is too close to the vesc. Will try to re-position the module this week and give it another try. Will post my results maybe it is helpfull to others as well.

test oneboxing

1 Like