Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

@oyta I found the bug, yes, the default parameters on the grid are reset every time. The fix is coming in the next version. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @rpasichnyk Did you had any time to look at the motor temperature logging yet ?

Not yet but thank you for reminding me! Today I did my first run with new firmware. It is awesome :rocket:

1 Like

Awesome , can’t wait !

The new firmware looks great , love all the new functions ! Thanks for all the support so far :smiley:

Yesterday the latest update of metr app v1.7.23 went live and I encourage everyone to update, there are many bug fixes and some new features. I want to thank everyone who reports the bugs, this is very helpful as I often don’t notice when things break! Props to all of you! :heart:

I want specifically thank Lorenzo Cella from Bolt Motion for contributing Italian translation and @tueboard for contributing updated Spanish translation. Thank you!

Also I am happy to announce that I struck a deal with Bolt Motion and now all their skateboards will come with metr bluetooth module preinstalled (and with the easiest setup ever, pulley teeth and wheel diameter and battery all of that will be pre-configured).

Back to working on new features and improvements :construction_worker: :tools:

9 Likes

I’ve found the battery cell count always rests to 10s, I’m running 12s and it reverts back to 10 each time I start the app.

I love having the battery % feature but it would be great not to have to reset it each time thanks for the great app and all the new features!

Go to Settings and click the gear icon next to your module’s name. Add a settings override for 12S voltage. Then it will remain at 12S, even after a reset

@rpasichnyk is working on a fix, but this is a good workaround for the time being

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. My old records still crash the app. I figured they would though. The good news is the realtime data config remains after woot. I will make some new records over the weekend.

FYI I just updated iTunes. Well it updated itself really… Looks like they are no longer supporting the apps and are concentrating on music and such. I think it will all be done on the device now. The metr app files can still be found under file sharing. This surprised me a bit. I used to arrange my apps in iTunes. No matter I guess its just as easy on the device.

Finally got to soldering my adafruit UART bluetooth module and was happy to find your app cause it has a nice looking UI.

Only thing is I can’t connect to my module. When I scan I don’t see my module.

I tried VESClogger to verify and it connects instantly.

Any idea why it’s not working?

My app is not compatible with adafruit UART module. If you want to use my app, you have to buy bluetooth module from my shop, otherwise it won’t work. Please read the first post where I describe why.

Any change, you could write a simplified app for All the standalone Android 5,1 smart watches ? That would be cool and easy , to simply connect the watch to the dongle. And then its easy always to se the speed , battery level etc. To first start the app on the phone , then connect the watch to the phone , is just a pain in the ass.

Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile: Eventually I will do that. When most of the watches have what it takes. Right now they are still a bit limited in terms what you can run and how much, especially in the background. Smartwatches are definitely getting more popular and becoming a real thing.

Aha, I missed that. It was stated different on your github page hehe. No problem tho, I understand.

Guess I either have to put my own dev skills to work or stay with the VESC vision.

You app looks very nice, keep up the great work!

1 Like

Hi @rpasichnyk, I just stumbled upon next idea. I personally don’t charge my LiPos to full voltage per cell (I keep them fully charged at 4,17, so they’ll last longer), because of this app never shows full battery, only something like 88-90%. It would be nice to be able to set fully charged and discharged cell limits. You know some people have habits to discharge batteries more than the others, and this would allow app to be more “personal” :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh and one more thing, I couldn’t find motor temp tile in main screen set up (I believe motor temp monitoring is not implemented yet in the app?), adding one for VESC SIX users would be nice too :sunglasses:

@squad I did a 22km ride yesterday. Started with a fully charged battery. The app read 90% at full charge. My BMS charges to 3.5v per cell instead of 3.6 though. Would that account for the 10% difference? I’m totally fine with that if thats the case.

Really happy to have the anr26650 added rpasichnyk. Thank you. The values you added seem almost perfect for the battery capacity. The realtime data page show my entire trip in one shot. Just under 22kms, but there were four records. Also the bluetooth must have notified me 40 times that it cut out. The module is beside one of the vesc’s but not near the power or phase wires. There is one thin layer of carbon fibre on the flange of my enclosure to keep it from cracking when its bolted down, but thats all. I really don’t have any problems with any of this. Just reporting. I’m gonna try to find a new spot for the module and test. Also going to order another module for my new build :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good news everyone :slight_smile:

I updated perimetr app with support for latest 3.x firmware. You can read / change / write motor settings and run motor detection. Also Benjamin accepted my pull request and hopefully after the the next update you will no longer need to install custom firmware. If you are impatient though you can grab it here https://metr.at/firmware now

7 Likes

Nice to hear that

Does Perimetr support CAN forward? I didn’t find it in the app, maybe I’m looking in the wrong place

Yes, perimetr does support CAN forward and it works out of the box, you do not need to configure it in the app. It will try to increase CAN ID from 0 and up until there is no response and present you with a button for each VESC

4 Likes

Thanks, I didn’t test it yet with two VESC’s

Can’t wait!!! :nerd_face: