Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

Yes, that would be a wet dream. All so on my phone when i check the records, instead of energy… If i could customize that, that would be awesome :slight_smile: I dont use energy to anything, but used mAh is one of the most important features imo.

Watt-hours gives you a much better picture of energy consumption, because it is normalized for voltage. Watt-hours are invariant of battery level. Using amp-hours is not a very good gauge because 1Ah on a full battery yields much more energy than 1Ah on an empty battery. But 1 Watt-hour is always 1 Watt-hour

Personally I would really love to see Watt-hours/mile

Sorry for newbee quistion then.

How do i know how many whatt hours my battery is, when fully charged ? It`s a DIY 10s5p made of Samsung 30Q li-ions

@Silverline I am not sure what was I thinking… how could I not have the most important feature?! Please excuse me, it has been fixed.

@jmasta I agree with you but same Wh can very easy result in different Ah depending on riding style and voltage sag. This is why it is also nice to see Ah. Some batteries have fixed Ah and you can use this information to estimate how much is left.

Regarding Wh/mile, this is definitely something I want too, good idea! :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Take the nominal voltage of the cell (3.6V) and multiply it by its nominal capacity (3000 mAh = 3 Ah). Each 30Q cell has 10.8 Wh.

50 of those cells gets you 540 Wh

2 Likes

You times the nominal voltage (3.6v) by the capacity in milliamps (15000) to get 540,000 then divide by 1000. 540 watt hours.

1 Like

So when i reach about 540Wh on a trip, it`s time to go home ??

@rpasichnyk Thanks man… you are my hero…

Btw. Maybe its just me. I have two of your BT dongles now. One in each board. When i change between the two modules in the Metr app, it looks like my settings dont get refresed ?? Can`t i have different motor settings for each module ?

Ohh and both boards is runnning the the vesc-tool/fw without problems :slight_smile:

I came back from my ride last night and tried to upload the new record. It crashed the app about twenty times. I was desperate to get it. So I tried distracting the app after I clicked on the record to open by changing to landscape mode from portrait while the graph was forming. It works every time now. Portrait crashes and landscape opens. The crashes still mess up the realtime data config too. But I have a work around now so to speak.

When you reach 540 Wh you will not get any further - hopefully you are already home :wink:

@rpasichnyk In the metr app for iPhone the grid gets reset every time I start the app. Or not entirely. Only the default parameters are reset to the default size and position. Is this a known bug?

@Silverline Yes you need to click on that blue gear near the module name and add overrides for each module

@i2oadsweepei2 looks like you run out of memory while painting. Strange. I will try your files on the 6+ simulator and see if it crashes too

@oyta not known but I will look at it

So how manny Wh would you say that i max can use ? This is nice to know… when people say, that looking at mAh is not the right way

@rpasichnyk Arh okay. Thanks man :slight_smile:

Thank you for looking. Do you know why chrome doesn’t auto download when finished the overlay? I’m gonna mess it some more today. It’s almost 5:30am and coffee is calling.

Most likely because your record is too long. Can you share url and which preset you are using? You can PM or answer here.

It will vary based on how much current you draw (just like how Ah varies). 540 Wh would be the best you could get. Based on discharge charts, 500 Wh is a good estimate. But running 5P means you won’t be stressing your battery as hard

Watt-hours is useful for us because many of us have different pack voltages. So it’s easier to compare my 12S board to your 10S board, for example

1 Like

Ok I will do it soon. It’s 25 minutes long. Thank you.

Thanks… I like to be on the safe side. So i think my max is going to be 450 Wh then.

1 Like

@rpasichnyk I just noticed you can click the web record to show Max/Avg/Min for Current, Motor Current, Voltage, etc.

Very nice! Not sure if this is new or I never noticed it before. But I like it

1 Like

Here is the record. I was using the horizontal preset. As a side note I forgot to mention the bluetooth disconnected a few times during the ride too.

Here is my setup for anyone with interest in the stats. So some of the records stats are x 2 too since this is reading only one vesc.

• 2 x 170kv 6355
  • 2 x vesc-x in foc and soon to be sensored.
  • 8s3p A123 Pack at 7500mah
  • 2 x 16/40 gears 280-5m-12 and TB’s V4’s
  • 97mm flywheels

Unfortunately horizontal preset consumes memory like hell and 24 minutes is too long for it. Try vertical? In the meantime I will try to simplify horizontal a little bit and remove some stuff so the rectangle is smaller.

While looking around, I found 2 bugs

1. barometer readings not recorded
  2. timestamps inside app record view chart are wrong

I fixed them and they will go into the next update

1 Like

Hello I’ve seen the pm and will try again now and report back. My board finished charging too so I’m going to hit the road for a while. So to speak :sunglasses:. I will report back. I gotta say your support is amazing as I’ve seen throughout this whole thread.

Thanks again.

1 Like