Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

dear rpasichnyk,

i know it is not your business model, but may you think about to add support for some other BT modul types (my case Adafruit UART friend) and add an Apple In-app purchase option to Apple store. Price is up to you, but I don’t want to waste economy recourses. One piece of HW for different applications would be a dream for me.

thanks a lot and hope you can think about my proposal.

chris

@Silverline what is the bug exactly, can you please describe it again? @MrEpiquad unfortunately rpm on the graph is not possible at the moment, but I will look into adding it (and more) later @Space_Teddy sorry but no

Thanks @rpasichnyk can’t wait until you add it ! For now I just throw all the raw data into http://jsbeautifier.org/ and it makes it a little bit more cleaner to review.

@MrEpiquad just added rpm to the chart. Thank’s for your support!

1 Like

Woah you my hero ! Just tested it and it works like a charm !!!

1 Like

Does this Appt have features like Ackmaniac’s “Throttle Curve” and “Watt Control” ?

@rpasichnyk Thank you for your fast shipping of the BT module, it works perfectly. :slight_smile: I have now had a good handful runs on my eMTB and though I have limited experience, I do have a tiny feature request I hope you would consider implementing. :slight_smile:

I would love to have Ah usage as a battery meter! I come from drone racing where I have been using LiPos for years and the main parameter I need for my batteries are the amount of Ah I can pull from them. This gives me a near perfect status of the battery, including an indicator of when they begin to age/wear out due to voltage sag and lost capacity.

The app already includes [ElapsedAh] and if you included a possibility to enter two more parameters it should be an easy job to create a working battery-bar and a tile to show consumed Ah. :slight_smile:

The two missing parameters are:

• Max Ah consumption
  • Number of motors (as stats are only read from the attached motor on a multi-drive setup)

I run a 12S LiPo setup with 5,8Ah and dual drive. I would consider a safe consumption would be around 3,5Ah. This would set my parameters as follows:

• [MaxAhConsumption] = 3,5
  • [NumberOfMotors] = 2

Example: [ElapsedAh] of 1,62 1,62 * 2 = 3,24 Ah out of a maximum of 3,5Ah

Shown as percentage use “100 - ( [ElapsedAh] * [NumberOfMotors] ) / [MaxAhConsumption] * 100” 100-(1,622)/3,5100 = 7,428571% battery left

EDIT the day after posting:

I just realized my ideas would work great when starting the board fully charged but also that it would be useless in all other cases - I suppose it would be possible to make the app remember the last state and then add a “reset battery” button, but that seems tiresome and prone to user error. Another way to “calculate” this could be a comparison between min and max voltage, and set the [ElapsedAh] to the number corresponding with the voltage on startup. This adds a bit of complexity I had not thought of at first. Damn! :slight_smile:

That was a whole lot, I hope it makes sense :slight_smile: Thanks

1 Like

Hey man, I just noticed my fresh from the mail module has a switch on it. I don’t think the other module I have from you has it. What is it for?

Hey, to be fair I am not sure what this switch is for. Most likely it is needed to boot the module in AT mode with specific baud rate, but I do not use it. I switched to the new modules because they work as good as the old ones and are 30% smaller!

1 Like

Hey, I’m trying to use perimetr but somehow I’m just able to read my configuration. When I change a parameter and wanna write the config it always tells me “communication FAILED”

Is there a solution or am I doing smth wrong?

Edit: Seems to me I have to update the firmware of the VESC but how do I find out which revision my VESC is? It’s from Enertion and I cant see anything on it which tells me that…

It says just V1.8 But no idea which revision that is Installed FW is 2.18

Post a photo of your VESC :slight_smile: Also be careful as it might be the case that flashing the firmware will end Enertion warranty.

You have VESCX. You can use VESC_4_10_plus.bin from https://metr.at/firmware But remember to back up your settings and what I said about warranty! Check https://metr.at/setup for details.

And which version? 2.18.2 or 2.18.1 or 2.18?

Latest, 2.18.2

Firmware huh ? Isn’t it Just to plug the module in and download the app ?

Nope, I also only realised after I ordered mine. Shame as I use ackmaniac firmware which is awesome. Not sure if I want to switch to current mode on regular firmware and give up throttle curve and watt mode …

You can use metr app with any firmware. You only need custom firmware in order to write settings with perimetr app.

Thanks for clarification! @rpasichnyk

Settings in the VESC ? When you say special fw, is it for the BT module or app then ? So with focbox , if im only using the telemetry app, it Works out of Box ?