Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

@Michael319 do I understand right, when you loose traction, your wheel starts spinning so fast, as if you were going 80km/h ? Is a split second really enough time for that to happen?

@Pedrodemio no, transmitter just acts like a bridge. But there’s plenty of processing power on the VESC and you are thinking in the right direction.

1 Like

Nice, what’s limiting the data rate? Bluetooth has a decent speed no?

Just bought your transmitter, but unfortunately shorted my VESC on the same day

Yes, might be a little longer than a split second but it is under a second so yeah, I have Carvons v2.5 so they spin up really fast.

@rpasichnyk I wonder why my kilometer (distance traveled) didn’t work on the real time display with and without recording. It just stays 0km all the time. This is very useful for me as I would like to conduct some test for distance travel between foc and bldc mode.

did you change your settings? If you have the “prefer GPS” setting on I think it will try to use the location data from your phone but you have to give the app permission and enable location data otherwise it will be 0

2 Likes

The “distance” cell is for total distance travelled from the moment the application is started or the VESC is powered up.

I looked today at your findings and figured out what’s wrong. If there’s no record currently in progress, the distance cell is not updating. Unless “Prefer GPS” is enabled as mentioned by @makevoid. I will include the fix for this bug in the next version, until then possible workarounds:

1. Leave “Prefer GPS” disabled, start a record, distance cell will show updates or
  2. Enable “Prefer GPS”

Thank you for reporting the bug!

This looks really promising. I read the whole thread - a fair bit of drama and glad to see it calm down a bit.

Roman - thanks for the hard work and really frequent updates. I’m impressed with the quick action to fix things, and including folks requests on your “to-do” list, then implementing quickly. Impressive.

I nearly bought a few other similar utilities. I have bought 2 from your site - i wish you had the ability to add to a cart and not pay shipping twice! I’ll shoot you a PM and see if i can get the second shipping refunded or applied to a 3rd one.

I’d like to try this with VESC X, and i’m on Beta for VESC 6 - have you tested with VESC X yet? Any update on the Beta VESC 6?

I was on the fence until i saw the ability save “modes” - so i can hand to a friend and give it “Beginner” settings so they don’t hurt themselves. This has been a huge wish-list item for me. I usually pull the battery apart and only give them 6s to start so they cannot hurt themselves. This seems perfect and can do it on the fly!

Thank you sir!

There is a throttle governer on the mini remote. A quick twist with a thumb nail lets me govern for others to ride. I do build seminars with highschool kids so I know this function is super important

@monkey32: Can you explain this a bit more in depth? Do you mean that you are limiting the trigger movement?

No, there are to potentiometer looking mini dials on the top or remote - one adjusts steering sensativity - when you drive RC cars and other modifies throttle response. It changes the responsiveness of the trigger and on my single 6372 /hv120a ESC - the max velocity can be adjusted with this.

@monkey32 Will it work with a VESC?

Haven’t tried yet does the standard rc controller work with it? Gtb2 or whatever? My first foray into Vesc is going to be the 6.0

I’m not sure. Was just wondering lol

So many thing to try for science

Thank you for the support! I’ve sent PM regarding combined shipping.

I am still thinking about alternative version of Realtime Tab, not quite sure how it should look like. But in the meantime I made a small change that should make layout editing easier:

####Grid Step

If you want easier editing, increase the step from 10 to 20 or 40. If you want finer tuning, decrease it to 5, 2, or even 1

I have also added poor man’s charger with customizeable end-of-charge voltage. If you sit in the same room where you charge your battery, you can configure this in Settings to whatever voltage you like. When the battery reaches it, you will get notification on your device. Unplug the charger and increase your battery life :deciduous_tree:

5 Likes

I wanted to test Metr with Apple Watch but it keeps telling me to open app on a phone. What I do is have an app open, random data is being displayed on the phone but none of it displays on the watch. The connection is established as I can change theme from light to dark and it changes on watch too (while still displaying “run metr on your phone”). Any ideas on what might be wrong?

iOS 10.3.1, WatchOS 3.2

Open Realtime tab, long press anywhere, you will enter Layout Mode. In the Layout Mode you will see small watch icons. Select which data you want to display on your watch (you can choose 1 or 2 cells)

1 Like

It worked, thanks. Is there any way to have app in the background and still get real time data transmitted to watch or do I have to use Keep screen on option enabled? Do you have plans to make it work in background?

The app does transmit realtime data while in the background but only when there is an active bluetooth connection. iOS environment is somewhat restrictive and does not allow background code execution unless specific criteria are met (for example, active bluetooth connection)

1 Like

I really like this project, pure awesomeness! If you only could implent a feature for controlling the VESC. Just as a backup remote, or for slow cruiser builds. That would make the whole thing even better for me.

1 Like