Complete noob first time mountainboard build

I did just think of this as I saw Okami typing and his avatar :slight_smile: I was giving numbers that are usually quoted for regular longboard wheels. Personally pretty sure I get better than the average but I’m on flat land around Chicago area and really light weight.

Pneumatics usually consume a bit more… at least 15wh/km in my experience (more realistically , 18+wh/km with bigger wheels).

U would want something with small wheels, to reduce weight and bulkiness of the board.

Im from phone but im sure others will be able to direct you in the right direction.

(Hah yes, i started typing because of this reason :D)

But yeah in terms of battery, something with at least 500wh would be recommended… (at 10s that would be around 14ah, so for Samsung 30Q cells, that would be 10s5p pack.

Thanks for the advice was thinking around $1000 for first set up and then maybe upgrading things later, the terrain I would travel would only be flat asphalt no mountain trails or offroad use just need to get over bumps and up curbs @wafflejock

Seen alot of boards trampa ext. 8inch seems to be the standard?

In that case bro I would go with something like 107 abecs or something but not pneumatics

1 Like

Dont want to run into rocks or anything that’ll knock me off my board

U should look for wheels like that. I think 6 or 7 inch might be the sweetspot…

Theres psychotiller who offers all in one solution for wheels but it might blow your budget fast if u with his set, i think

https://psychotiller.com/product/6-billet-wheel-hubs

3 Likes

What about a 12s

1st thing would be to find a good used trampa board and start from there, that’s what i did.

1 Like

Yeah I have some 90mm wheels and they absorb a lot of the roughness themselves. With the budget being what it is I think it’ll be tough to get a full MTB setup I think typically the components are all a bit more expensive and it adds up, some of the people here who have made those can speak more to it. My setup was around $600 if I didn’t blow any ESCs (which I did) and it’s a single drive with relatively cheap components, on the plus side I’ve managed to keep it running.

You do have to learn to be aware of things either way as you’re cruising in any case. But think you’ll have to bump your budget some to get into MTB territory.

1 Like

Any advice on leads for those?

Also no idea about the laws where you are or how the police treat esk8 but around me they don’t want any motorized things on the sidewalks so I’m stuck on the back roads (which is actually fine by me).

Not sure u need 12s… it is harder on controller (unless u go vesc 6 route, which will cost close to 300-400usd probably) and some say 10s is nice enough unless u want that extra aggresive punch from your board…

Look on the forum in the ‘for sale sections’, Ebay regularly has them too! where do you live?

Personally, I think trampa is somewhat large board and doesnt qualify for portable anymore (if u have to take train or bus, the lenght of it makes it somewhat difficult to transport it / move around.

Here’s a few pictures ive collected on the forum, first one is the perfect commuter board, i think. fc29943b92e757454fa16431fd072e12e15fc537_1_375x500 After that some trampas can be seen and their size comparison… 6c7262da4f74840bd5f16dfba1761553edbb8395_1_666x500 75ceeadb30a3c03761ad3f7e67fa8bed98cc42aa_1_389x500 8f04ac4b0ee0fabb733e80a78694c5729e0cda4e_1_666x500 One more viable option would be mountainboard with short deck but it is troublesome and pushes deck height up. (board with red wheels and then the next one with blue ones)

Check www.esk8builds.com not a lot of forum boards there but helps when seeing many boards at once

Also, seems like @skatardude10 made these small wheel hubs also, maybe he can help with printing hubs, if u go this route Screenshot_2018-08-14-10-30-44

There’s also diyeboard airless wheels… but i havent had a chance to try them out yet… they run for around 300usd for whole drive set… though theres been a bit bad rep about them (wheels stretching out a bit at speed (not sure was it on different hubs but still) and trucks breaking (at least for longboard wheels)

Heres a pic of a buddy’s build:

IMG_20180928_164128

The board does look nice and is very compact

3 Likes

I live in the US New York I’ve checked ebay I still haven’t found anything

1 Like

Yeah that sounds perfect and about 1000 maybe 1200

I need 28-30wh :scream: what i‘m doing wrong :joy::joy::joy:

Definitely don’t go with a trampa if you just need it for to come to the train and back and some times for longer rides. You very easy up to 10kg + which makes it not easier to carry around. I think with your budget a trampa would only be possible as used one. The deck it’s own is already 200£. I was driving my boosted board for months on Russian roads without big issues. If i can drive with 80mm wheels here I think you will be for sure fine with 90-107mm wheels in New York. I have a trampa too. I come 7-10km with 222wh on 8inch and chain drive.

2 Likes

These are actually nice didn’t want to go to fat with the tire but this looks really good