Community wheel poll

only 78mm diameter though. 83 for the centrax. but wide wheels do a lot for smoothing you think? @briman05 what core you want? I think the kegel-like with the round holes is safest.

1 Like

Pink, turquoise and violet purple wheels in 97 kegel cores.

3 Likes

5mm isn’t going to change much for a wheel. We started on 80mm for when esk8 began taking off. Adding 3mm or taking away 2mm isn’t going to make a huge performance difference. What matters at that point is how well the wheels stick and roll over rough terrain, in which the Venoms Magnums excel at.

was wondering how you think the width helps. an 85mm wheel that’s 80mm wide in my experience does a lot to smoothen

There’s hardly any benefit of “smoothing” with wider wheels. That’s like expecting wider trucks to make a ride more stable. It doesn’t. Durometer has a larger impact on “smoothness” over contact patch. A wider contact patch is all about having that grip in high speed, high lean scenarios.

Ideally you should be rail matching any wheel and truck setup to ensure optimal turn responsiveness and grip. This is a friend’s setup, who is 10x the rider I am. image

1 Like

This isn’t always true. Some things like streetplates, only diameter matters – not stickiness or contact patch. Other things like railroad level-crossings - only contact patch matters, not diameter or stickiness.

5mm of diameter can make a huge difference for me. Many folks need many different wheels.

4 Likes

An 85mm Caguama rides nicer than a Kegel for sure, but between two different wheels (with two different formulas) it’s not going to be a night and day difference losing 5mm when you have a superior urethane that’s better designed to deflect and contort to absorb larger hazards.

It’s interesting you bring up construction plates, because they’re all over here where I’m at, thanks to the city hiring (unavoidably shoddy) construction crews to redo our roads. I’ve had a long time getting acquainting with those types of roads stuffed with these hazards and found that updated urethane does indeed play a major role in how well your wheels can take on those plates.

Grey kegel core 95mm with the same contact patch as the 107mm. If the normal size contact patch of 97mm flywheels is preferred I’ll take that.

One more color option would be camouflage grey if that works.

Oh I forgot to mention the colour of the core needs to be red for extra speed.

I think kegel cores would be good so it is different than what is out there

1 Like

They have a “house” core that is similar to the kegel but with the round prongs only going the full way through on half of them and the other 3 don’t come out the other side. Different but totally workable and a pulley can be designed to transfer the torque no problem. Using this core mold saves a lot and we’d only need to get the main molds made and at a 91x79mm roller they’re estimating 6000$ before taxes,shipping and it could fluctuate with aluminum cost. And then a wheel that size…that monster roller size with a higher chunk of primo pu…12$ to 15$ each with the minimum of 500

Fuck yea.

That’s the shape I’m going for. It’s not everyone’s ideal and everyone has different wants but this is a center set chunk so need to fit a deck and going bigger gets harder. Besides I actually like 84mm anyway.

So what happens if you have an entire batch made and you’re not happy with the polyurethane? I think you need to test it first and have prototypes in different climates (read as: NOT southern/western California)

Or you could buy wheels from a company that has already made sure the molds are good, tested the polyurethane formulas, worked out the kinks in manufacturing, and taken the risks for you, and just pay them a few extra dollars for all the effort and risk.

Or you can gamble that your entire group buy amount will be spent on wheels that you can’t use, because you skipped all that trying to save $5.

Or you can start your own wheel company. But making a group buy for a new wheel seems overly risky and extremely unlikely to yield a world-class result. We already have cheap china clones if you want “Meh” wheels.

Of course it’s not a new pu chemistry and already tested. You really think all of a sudden they’re going to throw :poop: in the molds of arguably the best pu producer in the world?

As someone who has personally tested prototype wheels, I can say: You never know what unexpected things will happen.

As someone who pours pu tires myself …don’t join then

1 Like

Is it possible to split those 500 pcs to ship half to USA and half to EU?

I just want everyone to know this is a bigger risk than you act like it is. And it’s to save just a little bit of money.

Of course we can ship wherever. You would own the molds too

2 Likes

So 6k for the mold, plus 500x15$= 7.5k that’s 13.5k

Add to that taxes and shipping and we are at 15k minimum, but probably more.

So that’s 30ppl with 500$ each… Are there enough people that are interested in this?

And we are talking about 84mm wheels if I understood correctly?

I don’t know how much more it would cost to make larger diameter, but I think it would increase interest in this whole idea, since it is what most people are riding here.

BTW making new thread with correct title would help also, “community wheel poll” is way off topic that is discussed atm.

1 Like

It was a quote for a 91x80mm wheel