CLOSING TONIGHT 01/16/19 (Group Buy) for Maytech waterproof (R2-style) Split Trigger Remote with Screen and optional wireless charging

Oh I totally agree with you! When I saw the price tag I thought maybe I choose the wrong career. It occurred that building electric jet surf boards is a much better option and more fun! Anyway, I’ll put a few thousand dollars and my creative mind to work, and I’m sure I’ll be ripping up and down waves and if there isn’t any swell, that’s ok too!

It is truly how far are you willing to go… you make an I’ll sell it…

1 Like

There are tooling up costs, engineering costs, testing costs… All of those have to be recouped for a product to achieve profitability. The more that are sold the lower the cost will be. It’s the method all commercial releases use.

1 Like

Do it! Waterproof too if you can for a lower price.

1 Like

I get that, charge me $80, you just made 10x profit on me and recouped $70 per person in those costs. I mean, at most, it cost a few thousand to design and make. 100 people buy it at $80 and you make 7k in profit, more than the cost and a healthy profit. And you know you’ll likely sell way more than 100…

I just think there’s no cheap competition, and that’s why they can get away with it.

My only thing is most DIYish purchased remotes seem… very and feel very DIY. I mean I get it, but still.

I had high hopes for my firefly, but just wasn’t what I wanted.

That being said, if you can pull off a fine feeling and well put together remote, I would be totally be down to get one!

1 Like

That’s called business, it’s free enterprise. If a company creates a product, and decides to sell it for 1 million dollars, but only costs $5 to manufacture, you have a few choices, create your own, don’t buy, or do buy. It’s a completely futile effort to point out that it’s seems unfair. If you truly don’t like it, don’t complain my friend, DO BETTER. Create your own and you too can profit, or give it away and become a profit. Let’s not forget, this industry no matter the expense is epic, after all it could be like the 90’s still and actually have to walk up hills! F that! :sleeping::thinking::crazy_face:

2 Likes

made me laugh

1 Like

I’m just stating why I refuse to buy any of these remotes.

At some point, it’s gouging. At some point, it’s unethical. Yes buisness is buisness and they can do what they want. We would be living in a far worse world though if there were no ethics.

I think charging this much for a remote is unethical.

I’m not sure morality needs to be applied to supply and demand.

Once there are 10 remotes on the market with telemetry these will be $50. It’s just business.

3 Likes

I agree it’s a lot. No dispute there. However, this community is based on the concept of DIY, so many of us out there have had the exact same thought that you are currently expressing, but instead of making a point of ethics, thought maybe I can do better. So many examples right here on this forum. I’m just saying I agree sometimes a company has too much pride in their work and greed consumes them as money is the root of all evils. But in the essence of what we are made of, let’s collectively create a better remote, let’s sell it to the community at a great price, but let’s stop having exhausting conversations about a product costing too much or a company charging too much. That’s their prerogative and if it’s truly too much, it won’t continue to sell. It will work itself out. Or if it’s valuable like say a Ferrari vs a Honda, then your argument of cost vs what you think is a fair price is dead.

From a reseller standpoint. volume creates the ability to lower the prices, but most chose to keep it at max profit level…

at high order numbers its possible to reduce the end-user price. unfortunately, we rely on these companies to do most of the R/D and hope it fits. I agree, its a cost issue, it will take a few companies that are not profit driven at first but see the long-term investment of making people aware of the product and making them available at a better price through group buys and intended lower prices in regular sells.

2 Likes

Idk. I just know I’m happy with my $20 mini trigger remote. And can’t justify the difference in my mind I have an Apple Watch so I can get telemetry though that anyways.

2 Likes

Totally respect that. It is what works for you. And in most cases the simplest is usually the most reliable. But we have entered an age of wireless everything and interference is a viable issue

2 Likes

I’m sorry, I can’t understand the logic here. That watch has a 1000% markup on it and is built by 13 year old children who are chained to the tables by fear. You’re concerned about a markup on a remote?

I likewise have a smart watch, I’m not against buying overpriced tech. You just need to see through the haze.

7 Likes

You don’t see the irony if having an Apple watch and preaching against unfair profit margins?

4 Likes

Lol (mic has fallen) @mmaner can we get a solution on this?

1 Like

haha, don’t get me wrong, I hate apple. But working in tech, they are a necessary evil. a regular watch vs an apple watch is a huge change in my day to day lifestyle. A remote? Not really that much of a difference.

Naw,. I’m good. :grinning:

You just described supply and demand, the same thing driving the price of this remote. Lets move on then.

2 Likes