Choosing the right motor kv for the VESC

limit erpm and considering getting a more suitable motor down the line.

means to say that my motor will be under utilized then?

it’s not going to be running efficiently, I’m not sure what you mean by underutilized. You may be lacking in torque due to thicker windings and less copper in the stator.

Is it true that the minimum for entry level eboards is 270kv to start off? Cause I’ve seen an instructables before using 270kv sk3 motors and I dont know if that’s the highest kv value acceptable on an eboard or that it’s just a resulting kv value suited for his setup.

probably because 270kv is a good value for 6s which is the max voltage a lot of hobby escs run at. I run 10s myself which 190kv-200kv motors are great for.

our outrunner run perfect in their most efficient erpm limit with the vesc. Our current vesc version is fine with 60.000erpm. if you exceed that, your motor could start stuttering and the vesc can´t keep up how fast it is spinning. if you stay way under 60.000erpm you´re not using the full potential and your motor eats more current, so that you´ll lose some range. so try to pick a good combo according to chakas article :slight_smile:

My vesc runs 4.18. Are there any differences regarding change in ERPM true limit? Just got it like 2 weeks ago.

I think you mean hw 4.12, sw 2.18. No change in limit, still roughly 60k

I got a little different question…

I’ve got a VESC with 12s setup, current limit 50amp, everything else, default. This VESC is connected to a EMAX GT5345/08 190KV motor, then it has a gear-ration of 15/40 and 97mm wheels. Top-speed is really nice, 40+ km/h but going uphill it has no force with me (90kg, 200lbs). But my friend (60kg/ 130lbs) can go uphill with no problems. Before I had the VESC I had a 120amp ESC and with this ESC I had no problems going uphill (6s setup).

What can I do? I don’t really want a dual-motor setup. I will change gear ration to 10/40, but I guess this won’t be enough. Do motors with same watt have different power in real-world? Does anyone with 200lbs+ have experience.

this thing is rated 85A constant, so adjust your batt max limit to 85A - that will help :wink:

also have you done your motor detection?

Don’t I risk to break the vesc, because it is rated at 50amps constant?

if you set it to 80 you’ll be fine and have more peak power. if you sat on the throttle too long, and actually did do 80 amps continous, there is a temp sensor in the vesc near the fets that will shut it down if it gets too hot.

I have set motor max to 85amps, and it works fine now. The only problem is heat… I have bought some heatsink and will try it with that

1 Like

Has anyone run a hobby king 245kv motor with the vesc on 9s lipo? Standard drive system 15 tooth 36 tooth. To my untrained eye it sits well if run through the calculator. Could I be missing something?

you can potentially burn out the VESC as it exceeds eRPM limitations. 8s is safe.

i´m building one at the moment 9s lipo 245kv sk3 6364. Which brings the motor to a bit under the limit but i´ll limit erpm to 60000 just to be safe. 50km/h about 32mph with 13/32 83mm :monkey:

Has anyone gone to 65000 erpm or between 60k and 70k safely

I have 12s 149kv wanting more out of the setup. I also need different gear ratio but until I get more parts I am curious about max amps and rpm on 6374 sk3 149kv running Samsung 25r liion

If motor max is 70a can I exceed by one or two and be ok with a fan bolted on the back of it working with the integrated fan

it could work but it´s not safe! if your motor starts stuttering you could get thrown off your board. Vedder mentioned that the vesc is capable of 100.000 erpm, but a few people had problems going over 60.000. So better to stay under that and be safe. :beetle: If you still want more after a new gear set add a second motor for a diagonal drive and gear down further, so that you get more speed and split the torque over the two motors. Also leave the vesc max motor setting to the actual motor max. Otherwise if you exceed that and supply your motor with too much current, keep your phone ready to supply us with a video of your smoking motor :monkey:

2 Likes