Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign)

get me one down here in Sydney Australia! Tomorrows forecast is:

it gets bloody hot here. dunno why my focboxs don’t overheat lol

5 Likes

So there’s a lot of .c and .h files associated with the VESC firmware and I’m too inexperienced with it all to try and find every little variable that I need to change to accommodate my hardware mistakes. I’m gunna try the PCB surgery route but I’ll to wait until I’m back at the lab where I can use a dissection scope. These are tiny little traces and things would get sloppy without magnification.

1 Like

I guess you have to change the hwconf\hw_410.h file and change

#define ADC_IND_SENS1   2
#define ADC_IND_SENS2   1
#define ADC_IND_SENS3   0 

to

#define ADC_IND_SENS1   0
#define ADC_IND_SENS2   1
#define ADC_IND_SENS3   2
3 Likes

@shaman same here. Super interested, but lacking of knowledge :sweat_smile: You are not alone. We are all watching you! :laughing:

1 Like

@Ackmaniac

Supposedly that’s all I would have to do for FOC functionality. However, supposedly there are more things to adjust for BLDC operation and motor parameter detection.

If all your hardware is based on the 4.12 layout and that was the only difference then this change should be all you need. Just simply give it a try. Or did you already use another DRV or anything else?

1 Like

Nah it’s the same DRV and such from 4.12. The reason I’m hesitant on the firmware is that I’ve read where there’s more to it that just those values you have mentioned. The thread from the link below addresses my situation but just from a different 4.12 VESC variant. The original poster never followed up so idk if the issues were resolved. Also, I also have anxiety about screwing up the firmware and blowing up my controller.

https://vesc-project.com/node/363

I’d also be worried that if yours is a VESC derivative on the market, most folks would assume it will run standard firmware and not need a recompilation with 3 changed variables, could cause operator-error situations…

2 Likes

This “mix up” of mine will absolutely be corrected in the PCB design and schematics. The controllers for testers will not have this issue and neither will the final release. Folks will be able to use the standard firmware for the 4.12 hardware once its all said and done.

5 Likes

So aside from the asthetics and price tag, these will be the same as every other VESC derivatives?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-DieCast-POWDER-COATED-Hammond-STYLE-Enclosure-StompBox-ALL-SIZES/254082202609?hash=item3b287abbf1:m:mgJVN23iJyYN0-8AJ5EloeQ:rk:3:pf:0

This + engraving :ok_hand::ok_hand:

3 Likes

In your case it should be fine. Simply set like 3A for motor max and battery max to keep currents low if something goes wrong, And i hope you will switch in the future to DRV with higher voltage. I like the idea of a cheap high voltage VESC for ebikes which don’t need crazy high amps.

5 Likes

This is a lot different from other ones. It’s not as small and easier to construct and far easier to attach heatsinks to. If you can solder one DRV8302, you could handmake this entire thing. And who knows if a vendor will sell the boards with the DRV and MCU presoldered

2 Likes

I mean in terms of use…same ports same software same ability to run a motor?

Pro tip: it helps to read all comments in the thread :wink:

6 Likes

I may take a crack at the firmware. Gotta set up an Ubuntu VM. Yes I will be utilizing the DRV8353R for the high voltage version. Up to 20s battery.

2 Likes

Virtualbox 5.2.24 has a bug and Ubuntu 18 does not work. Use VirtualBox 5.2.22 and “Ubuntu Server” 18 – then after it’s installed, run

And you’re good to go

1 Like

Sweet. Thanks b264.

1 Like

I just created the firmware file for you. check your PM’s.

9 Likes

@shaman

Found out that I have access to a reflow oven. That’s good :grin:

2 Likes