Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign)

That’s sad :pensive:

1 Like

For reference, I think he’s intending to house it in these things.

For scale

Cool idea! Guitar toys is another area where I have an addiction.

3 Likes

Oh is that sort of a rule for newcommers (im not that familiar with the perks of all the ranks) can we still pm him?

Dont think there is anything stopping you

1 Like

So there is a higher voltage DRV chip, FFS!

Welcome here man, I’m impatient to see your work running!

Edit : Quick question, is the trade-off about max source current and max sink current relevant for our use? 50mA to 1A peak and 100mA to 2A peak instead of 1.7A and 2.3A?

7 Likes

So yeah I couldn’t respond to anything… even PMs. I believe the rule is to mitigate spam from noobs but it was kind of a bummer that I couldn’t keep up with my thread. I will have to limit my responses for a while and try to lump as many responses into one post as I can.

Ok. It’s not a bid deal from the design perspective wither way. USB C is the future anyways.

I appreciate the insight as I’m not an esk8 user and am not familiar with the configurations people like. This is the advice I need from this community so that my design makes the majority happy.

This is exactly the enclosure I have in mind and the idea came from my own guitar effect pedal design/fabricating experience.

This is a very good question that I looked up myself back when I was investigating the DRV8323 as an option. Source/sink current limits for driving FETs is a very important number. It translates to how large of a a gate charge your FETs can have or how many in parallel can you run. The DRV8353 has lower current source/sink numbers but this will be ok with FETs that have an appropriately sized gate charge to match. TI’s NEXFETs can offer low Rds on still with low gate charges that will do well here.

4 Likes

So thinking about the names for my controllers since VESC isn’t an option. I have one idea but it’s not exactly the most professional. I’ll just leave this here…

Cheap controller = Cheap FOCer 6 FET HV version = Uncle FOCer 12 FET HV version = Mother FOCer

20 Likes

First of all great project, looking forward to the finished ESC.

If you need a hardcore tester who is trying to kill it offroad then I’m your man :laughing:

What about calling it a Shesc or ShamanESC?

3 Likes

I might work Shaman into the name somehow. We’ve got time to think about it.

1 Like

So I have several people interested in testing my controller between here and the sphere. I do need these testers so that I get good data form several different use cases. The problem is sourcing the amount controllers needed for the testers. There’s no way that I can make multiples of these controllers by hand during my spare time. Some testers may be able to solder the boards up themselves but that leaves plenty of opportunity for human error (just like in my own prototype so far). I’m considering having a PCB assembly service make some of these for me but I don’t have the cash to front for that. https://www.7pcb.com/ quoted me about $600 for 15 boards. I have a couple of questions for this community…

Do you guys think it would be successful to have a gofundme or patreon or something like that to help with these kinds of things? If not, what would be the alternatives?

2 Likes

Theres group buys. But your are too new here to facilitate one of those

Or theres a user called @Samau18 who lives in Hong Kong and seems like he has good thing going when it comes to PCBA. Maybe he can make some of these boards. He already makes BMS’s for this forum and it looks like he has a good attention to detail

2 Likes

I don’t get the ork thing…

Does @Samau18 have a website that you know of or should I just hit him up by PM?

I don’t know about that, I guess he’ll see these messages and respond, or you can PM him

1 Like

Ok. Shadow Shaman is pretty cool name. Too bad it’s taken. Maybe I’ll reverse and do something like the Shaman Shadow or Shaman Spirit. Less crude than my other idea.

1 Like

pedal

So I’ve done acid etched graphics in the past with my effect pedals. I could theme some custom enclosures for my controllers with shaman-ish spiritual/ritualistic symbols kind of like mine from the pic. Don’t know how popular that would be or if it’s worth the hassle. I don’t know how to do this kind of thing in volume.

8 Likes

I am here, but don’t think I will get into vesc 4. “Maybe” if vesc 6 later

4 Likes

No worries. I’ll let you know when it’s time for my VESC 6 based high voltage controllers. I appreciate giving me an answer so quickly.

2 Likes

Something like this could be laseretched or something?

1 Like