Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign)

I don’t mind the thickness. Normal 4.12 vesc takes alot of space in terms of length because of the capacitors. What are the final measurements (Lenght/width/height)?

1 Like

Well I am making my own direct drive motors and planning to pair with a 12s setup. I still miss the vesc so if you need tester I could try the “pro version” of you end up making it. Are you thinking to a single vesc or a dual configuration? Most of the builders use it for dual set up anyway, maybe that will keep the cost lower since you would need only one board and some hardware is shared. Are you going to use a hot air station for making it? Of course I do not want anything for free. I could try it and send it back to you or other users. I can also buy it later if it performs well. If the heatsink is needed then I will make the design and machine it. Anyhow, great work! :wink:

92mm x 45mm x 23mm(approx). I reduced the Caps from 1000uf to 680uf so the board height would allow for fitting in the hammond enclosure. Before the change the caps were taller than the FETs.

4 Likes

I haven’t considered a dual setup before but I believe it could be a future variant. Shouldn’t be too hard to combine the layouts of 2 boards into one. I will be using a hot air reflow station for soldering. I’ve already done the top side and just gotta finish the bottom. My idea of the heatsink would just be an aluminum bar attached to the FETs, then mounting the aluminum bar to the inner wall of the enclosure. This would the easy way for a DIYer but by all means machine an awesome heatsink!

2 Likes

Just to compare a 4.12 cnc case is 121mmx45mmx21.5mm So i personally think your dimensions are much more to my liking.

Cool. Just to be clear the dimensions I gave are for the populated board without an enclosure. The 1590b enclosure would be about the smallest profile you can get away with.

1 Like

Dual setups mean that if one side breaks, you have to replace both sides. A modular setup is much better.

5 Likes

good point!

1 Like

Still. it is easier to make your enclosure under your board a bit thicker at the spot your Vesc comes, than longer. At one point you run out of board.

1 Like

What do you mean by this?

Also is that USB type C?

2 Likes

Just wanted to say that too. Please @shaman stay with a single design. A dual heat sink box is more than enough, no need to combine the pcbs and share components. One thing you maybe could consider to solve if not solved yet. The old 4.12 design had the problem that if you use CAN bus to control both vesc and the CAN bus got disconnected while both where powered on it was very likely that the communication port got fried too. In some newer designs of the focbox for example was this problem solved (unfortunately idk how)

3 Likes

Btw, the focbox is a VESC 4.12 based ESC.

2 Likes

I was referring to no-spark connection for when one is connecting the battery. Essentially would be a pre-charge circuit for the bulk caps. The connector for the cheap vesc is mini usb (idk what was i thinking…) and was going to use micro for the HV versions. USB C seems overkill.

2 Likes

paging @b264

USB C is nice imo

MiniUSB is way better than MicroUSB

MicroUSB are crap and always stop working. USB-C are very good.

The only benefit to microUSB is that everyone already has them on phone chargers

2 Likes

So then, you know about this :sunglasses:

1 Like

Honestly I think it’s better to keep a separate antispark switch / power supply because it allows more freedom. For example, some folks want auto poweroff, some want roll-to-start (no power switch) and all the other things regarding integrating other lights and accessories mean that builtin antispark switches are less desireable. Plus, if they fail, then the whole ESC has to be replaced…

1 Like

That’s why is said in the latest version of focbox :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I am not sure if @shaman is up to date with all these vescs - don’t know though

2 Likes

@shaman

Has hit his reply limit so no responses for 11 hours

5 Likes