Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign)

since you are so knowledgeable about this, why not make a controller for much higher voltages?

1 Like

Based on what he said first the 4. 11 version then the 20s one! I am patiently waiting for the biffier one. So we can have a 12-13s reliable vesc

3 Likes

This is exactly what’s happening. I’ve already started the schematic/layout of the high voltage version. It will have all of my lessons learned from the Cheap VESC development.

5 Likes

Don’t know but I need to find out. This will be next week’s problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s happening :slight_smile:

8 Likes

TEK0013 Vsupply @ 50.4V

TEK0014 Vsupply @ 42v

Here you go! Running 50.4(12S) on my prototype doesn’t exceed 60V but you still get a +6V spike. Now remember I expect the version I release to be better than this. The real test though will be on the dyno under load. I gotta see how high currents affect all of this.

12 Likes

That’s fantastic! Well done. If you want tester for 12s I can give it a try. Don’t want it free. You could send a prototype to people that wants to try it out and stress it out and pass to the next one. I am making a new 12s4p board with DIY direct drive.

1 Like

Ill tag @b264 :slight_smile:

Even though he is probably watching the thread

Nice work, even though I don’t know whats happening 1/2 the time

1 Like

I do. Look for a PM once I’m ready to reach out to testers. FYI I’m looking at having the test controllers assembled for the testers. I’ll divulge more details after it’s all hashed out.

2 Likes

No worries! Also feel free to ask for clarification when you need it. That goes for everyone.

2 Likes

Can you sneak a tube screamer in the circuit? With true bypass? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha! I’ll call it the Screaming FOCer!

6 Likes

This is exactly the kind of stuff we need. Awesome!

6 Likes

image 1: LCSC cart total

image 2: JLCPCB cart total

Here’s an estimate of cost to make one of my VESCs. This is the BOM and PCB through LCSC/JLCPCB. You can combine the PCB and BOM orders into one shipment. When I’m done, there will be an LCSC specific BOM file on the Github that you can upload onto the site and auto-load a cart for my VESC BOM. It will be a similar process for JLCPCB and the gerbers for the PCB. Shipping costs may vary from country and I may add some things to the BOM between now and completion, but this is in the ballpark.

*This is the cost for making just 1 of my VESCs along with free samples from TI. The cost per VESC changes if/when you decide to make multiple

14 Likes

I have two 8085 motors I could test them out on. Always ready for it! Like @rey8801 i don’t want anything for free, just try to give you opportunities to test your work in real life conditions. As i don’t have the knowledge to support you while developing this is the only thing I can offer. So if you one day at this point, let us know and we glad to look what we can get out of your escs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

Cool! I have had quite a few volunteers to test my VESC. I have to go back and assess them all in chronological order so I can prioritize who I ask first. It’s looking like I’ll have about 15 assembled controllers for testing. I’ll be sending PMs to those that have asked to help test once its time. I will have to ask you guys to help cover the costs of BOM, board, and assembly. I’ll provide more details as we get closer to that stage.

I really appreciate you and the others coming forward to help me gather test data. It gives me the opportunity to prepare my VESCs for real life applications!.

5 Likes

I would also be willing to test it. I can assemble mine myself. I would only need the BOM and Gerbers… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome! Hopefully I’ll have the Github repository up and running by the time I’m ready to send out the test controllers. If not, I’ll send the BOM and Gerbers to you and anyone else who wants to go this route.

3 Likes

One big detail I forgot to mention here. This is assuming you get free samples through TI.com. That’s how the total is so low. The DRV, 3.3V LDO, and CAN transceiver and be acquired as free samples.

1 Like

Me too! Pick me, pick me!

giphy

4 Likes