Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign)

That makes soldering SMD quick and easy!

2 Likes

Yeah can help once you get going

2 Likes

I got good news guys!

So I implemented the firmware alterations as suggested by @Ackmaniac plus a few more. I was able to do both FOC and BLDC calibrations and spin the motor with both methods! Still trying to figure out the sampling settings in the VESC Tool though. I wanna see those sinusoidal phase currents.

Thanks @Ackmaniac for the compiled firmware!

Thanks @b264 for the Ubuntu set up instructions! I was able to adjust a couple of more things in the firmware in the VirtualBox.

So the next thing I’ll do is get scope shots of the switch nodes. I need to see if there’s any bad ringing and voltage spikes. Those spikes will kill the DRV if it’s too intense.

9 Likes

I’d absolutely love to see those on a scope with 42.0V power versus with 50.4V power

Under load and not under load if it’s possible

3 Likes

Sure! But loaded tests may not be for another week or so. There’s a bit of setup involved with the dyno and power supply that’s gunna be used for all that.

2 Likes

So while we wait for me to make more progress, let’s discuss preferred connectors for the battery, phase cables, throttle, and hall effect sensors. I will probably ship the test controllers with cables and connectors if enough people agree on the same thing.

For the battery connector I see XT60 or XT90 being commonly used with success. I’ll most likely go with these unless someone suggests something better.

For phase cables, I’ve personally used the MT60 connectors. They’re like a triple connector version of the XT60. You can use up to 12awg wire with them. They look kinda cool and I can ship the other end of the connector as well to be attached to your motor phases. Would the community accept these or prefer something else like bullet connectors?

For the analog throttle and hall effect sensors I was thinking just some generic 3 pin and 5 pin connectors. This would most likely apply more to ebikes since analog throttles and sensored motors do not seem to be as common in the esk8 world.

Let me know what you guys think!

2 Likes

For motors I would say 5.5 mm bullet connectors are the most common. If we wanted to use mt60 we would have to change the connectors on the motor. Not a big deal. For remote, a servo connector is most common.

3 Likes

For the phase wires 4mm bullet connectors would be good, because that is the connector on most motors sold on here like Torqueboards and bkb.

2 Likes

Xt60 and xt90 as main power are both perfect. Personally i like xt90 more but people with less space will prefer xt60. Most our outrunner motors come with 5.5mm bullet connectors, so for me that would be preferred. Sonsor connectors are usually 2mm 6pin jst ph

3 Likes

Torque boards has 5.5mm too https:///collections/featured-items/products/electric-skateboard-motor-6355-190kv

Bkb has 4mm But Aps 5.5mm Maytech and most rebranded maytechs 5.5mm Too

4 Likes

@shaman lot of motors come with a 1.5 6pin jst zh for sensor wires, but most time this wires anyhow to short and people need an adapter cable which is sold here like this

If you have a look at other vesc designs it’s common to use 2mm jst for CAN port, hall sensor port, uart port and ppm port.

On the focbox the ppm cable was already soldered on the pcb with a connector for rc radio receiver.

2 Likes

I don’t know, why not leave them empty, without connectors

4 Likes

Its an option but I was wanting to make the controller as ready as possible for people.

4 Likes

I use those connectors. They are awesome: strong and less mess.

1 Like

most motors are sensored :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I stand corrected!

1 Like

What are your plans? You want to make a business out of it or release all the design files and BOM so that people can buy the kit themself? I thought you just do it for science so that everybody can build his cheap VESC himself afterwards. But when you talk about connectors then it sounds like you like to sell them.

He might mean what connectors to use for the test batch.

1 Like

Yes of course I intend to release all the design files and BOM! The connector questions is primarily for the test controllers for the test volunteers. I want those set up nice for them.

But now that you mention it, if I released the design as open source but still sold pre-made ones on the side, does that make me a bad person? I figure the option is there for those that want to DIY but why not sell some completely assembled controllers to those that just want instant gratification?

16 Likes

That makes you a good person :ok_hand:

Some people don’t have time to go through all of that hard work :slight_smile:

When there’s an option to buy and an option to build everyone is happy

8 Likes