Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign)

Ok. So I finally got the GitHub repository up. The schematics and silk screen on the PCB still need some cleaning up on my end but at least this is something. I’ll be cleaning up the files and repository as we progress through the beta testing process.

14 Likes

wow thats so cool, thank you very much for your work.

will order some pcb and assemble them asap.

cheers!

1 Like

I did lurked on this thread and your achievements are impressive!
One thing that always bugs me with all vesc derivatives I had are the standard jst connections for sensors, canbus, UART and PPM. They always are prone to coming loose due to vibrations e-skates are facing. I would love to see connectors with a locking mechanism like they are used in automotive applications like these. images%20(2)

8 Likes

I still have to upload the BOM. Hopefully I can get that done today

2 Likes

This is something I’ve thought about for the new controllers I’m working on.

1 Like

Hm, I never had a problem with a JST connector coming loose. I usually have hard time disconnecting them even when I want to. Takes a lot of wiggling. I can’t imagine that they would come loose merely due to vibrations.

The nice thing about standard JST is that it’s widely available and you can create custom cables easily. I wonder if that would still be possible with these locking connectors and whether you wouldn’t have hard time finding exactly the ones that you need.

I guess it would still be possible to deliver the ESCs without any connectors at all and then everyone can solder the on their preferred ones since that’s very easy to do.

2 Likes

I’ve had them come loose, there are better ones and loose ones. People here use hot glue, cable binders etc. to avoid this. In my case everything is attached to the deck and not placed in the enclosure, so gravitation doesn’t help.
I agree and see your point that those ones are not that easily available. I can solder basic stuff, but would rather avoid soldering on pcb’s with my basic skillset and tools.

Just to be clear, are you talking about the mating connectors disconnecting or about the wires coming out of the connector? I never had a problem with the former. I do sometimes have problems with the latter, but as you say, hot glue helps.

I had both issues, recently a cable broke at the joint I made with hot glue between the wires and jst connector to prevent them from backing out.
Anyway I don’t want to over exaggerate this, it’s just something what would give me more confidence.
And this ESC is already great with standard jst connectors!

`

1 Like

Sorry but the stock Cheap FOCer simply has standard pin headers for connectors. One can most likely replace these with different connectors as long as the pin spacing is the same

1 Like

So it looks like universities qualify for free samples. This will be good for those that want to use this for educational purposes.

• Step 1 – Create or login to your myTI account using a corporate or university email domain. The TI store does not allow sample orders from a free email domain (e.g. @gmail, @yahoo, @qq, etc.)

• Step 2 – Click here for the samples program request form and selct “Create a new case”

• Step 3 – Select “Request access to TI’s sample program”

• Step 4 – Complete and submit the form with your corporate or universtiy myTI account

• Step 5 – You will be notified by email within 5 business days if you are approved for samples or if you need to purchase your devices from the TI store

TI’s sample policy:

• All sample orders are shipped ground
  • Sampling limits apply
  • A company or universtiy email address is required to process your order
  • Free email domains (e.g. @gmail, @yahoo, @qq, etc.) will not be accepted
8 Likes

awesome, thanks for the write up.

1 Like

Hey @shaman, I’m thinking of putting together a couple of these. Is the BOM uploaded already? Any design changes in the works I should wait for?

1 Like

Ok I just uploaded the BOM specific for LCSC. By default it contains enough components for one build and you can upload it to LCSC via their BOM tool. After going through the BOM tool the cart should load up with the components. Note that LCSC is currently out of stock of the CAN transceiver and the DRV8302 . You will have to source the DRV from somewhere else.

Note that BOM has large quantities for the resistors and capacitors. This is because LCSC makes you order most of those at a minimum quantity of 50. I’ll upload the traditional BOM soon that reflects exactly what each component is and how many you need.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks! I’ll be getting a couple extra PCBs due to min order, if anyone else wants to give this a shot and form a small group (ideally SF bay area) PM me.

1 Like

I uploaded the regular BOM. Note that I don’t specify a part number for generic resistors and capacitors. There’s no need. Just find some that have the specifications as listed in the BOM.

2 Likes

I don’t have design changes planned unless something is discovered during the beta testing that requires a change. Feel free to let me know if you find discrepancies in the BOM or any other files. I’m the only reviewer for all of this so there’s bound to be some small mistakes.

Could I test one ?

Unfortunately those participating in the beta test have already been identified and have paid. However the Gerbers and schematic are on my GitHub repository if you would like to make one.

1 Like

I don’t have the skills for making one

1 Like