Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign)

None – if you run dual-independent with 2 receivers and no CANBUS and no “split PPM”

2 Likes

An example of things we’re driven to for self-preservation, giving up remote configuration, telemetry, etc. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How is using 2 different controllers any better than split ppm?

Because if one ESC fails, the other one still has brakes

2 Likes

How about the ChESC?

Quote from deodand about the hardware change from focbox 1.6 to 1.7 that apparently mitigates the canbus issue.

“we switched the CAN bus transceiver IC to an isolated one. Basically prevents the CAN transceiver from blowing things up unintentionally.”

4 Likes

An isolated CAN transceiver would be the most robust solution. There is an isolated version of the TCAN1042-Q1 called the ISO1042-Q1. I’m not sure if isolation is truly needed if the VESC 6 doesn’t display negative qualities with CAN utilizing a non-isolated transceiver.

Since I can’t bail on my mountainboard due to the bindings I figured it would be a good solution. So I tried deactivating traction control to see if I could live without it before making any changes. Nope, impossible to ride an MTB on loose terrain without traction control, so CAN bus it is. However I really like the redundancy of dual receivers for a commuting board.

2 Likes

60v is fine, just make sure you have good life insurance before you start playing. I put 240vac through my hand 10 years ago, still got the scars hehe

Good life insurance doesn’t really help him now does it.

2 Likes

Bru, you never played super mario? Respawn try again.

1 Like

Reposting this video. Love it! I’ll stay under 60v :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cheap%20FOCer%20angled

Here is an updated rendering with most of the changes and fixes so far put into place.

• Shorter 680uF caps to reduce overall height

• Vertical Mini USB for easier access and soldering

• Signal path fixes for Phase voltage and Current sense

• Widened holes for phase lines and battery cables

• Minor layout and routing improvements for the gate driver and gate traces

9 Likes

Do these hold 10AWG super-stranded?

2 Likes

After accidentally ripping off two USB jacks now, I have to ask –

What’s the chance of using a through-hole USB jack? Or is that one through-hole?

6 Likes

That big a difference? Never tried it, so don’t miss it.

The vertical Mini USB receptacle is indeed through-hole.

5 Likes

It should. It might be close but the holes are 2.8mm in diameter and 10awg is approx. 2.6mm in diameter.

2 Likes

Are you sure of that? I can measure later, but the 12 AWG that I have in my hand is almost 3mm

2.8mm 10awg. I have just measured it - the copper part

2 Likes