Cheap Enclosures

What are you doing that’s so goddamned important? Why are you here?

If i have time to answer a question in the middle of the fucking shitstorm of a life that i have then so do you.

4 Likes

LOL. I was raised with the ideal that you should always try to figure something out before asking for help from a third party. If you see a weird math problem do you just give up instantly or use your resources (the fuckin inter webs)?

1 Like

if its beyond simple algebraic order of operations, or resolving for an unknown variable, fucking right i do.

I’ll hold your hand through it.

I feel like the general questions such as are these vescs good? Will this mount work? Should be scrutinized much more than the specific questions with stats and experience to back said topic.

1 Like

guys there’s a bigger picture here. The only reason this community works as well as it does is because the resources are still allowed to flow.

think of us, as a whole, as a tree.

our roots are in the noobs and chaos, and our leaves are in the blue sky of a glorious esk8 community where everyone knows a little about everything.

it only works if you keep the flow going. If you water the tree with noobs and questions and repeated answers. Without the constant influx of noobs and questions and water, pages stagnate, google results lose relevance, people stop talking and coming, the community shrivels into a miserable husk of entitled elitist sock fucking mouth breathers and im gone.

get me?

14 Likes

Lets be friendly! Do we want more people to ride with? I sure as hell do! So be nice to newcomers and maybe more will stay?

That is my opinion. But they are like assholes, in that everyone has one and they are usually very stinky.

5 Likes

you have to wash them. Sometimes you have to wash noobs and opinions as well.

1 Like

I am a relatively new member here and when I was first trying to figure out components for my board I asked some questions that had already been asked and got railed for it. Now I do use the search bar but there are sometimes that items in a person build are slightly different then in the other builds using the search function so they need to be asked to make sure before it is money wasted if someone is on a little tighter of a budget. Its a community forum where the community is only getting bigger so instead of being an uber prick maybe do some good for the community maybe just say use the search feature next time but you can find something here. One person saying use the search feature is all it takes none else needs to pile on top.

3 Likes

you have to welcome them to the community the hard way. how will they learn that the search function exists without some guidance?

you can’t assume they don’t know it exists. You can’t assume that a previous answer was posed in such a way that it would be found using their dialect of search-ese. And you definitely can’t assume that they even really know what it is they’re looking for.

you can’t assume anything.

the only thing you can assume is that they need an answer, and that they came here for it. Within the vacancy of facts, you mustn’t assume the worse. Horses, not zebras. Innocent, not troll. Noob, not lazy fuck looking for easy shit.

4 Likes

This is an interesting balance that needs to be achieved, welcoming of people learning (like myself, and TBH it seems everyone on here is still in “learning mode,” that’s why we spend hours on end in this forum :grinning:.

However, over my time here there does seem like a bit of toxicity with regard to new or simple question posts. Often times, things would require a very simple answer and move on, or just ignore it and move on.

It is annoying that it seems there are a few very active members here that almost seem to race to flame people about the search function. Honestly that annoys me 10 times as much as the initial newcomer question. I’m looking at you @GrecoMan for one. You’re often in the chat hours on end talking about randomness, then you make someone (Who is often an adult) feel like a jackass about asking a question? It really is tasteless. No offence man, but if I had a 15 yo talk to me the way you do people on here sometimes I would blow. Maybe that’s because I was in the military during my 20s, who knows. Your often treated beyond your years here, I think partially because you seem like a smart guy who is knowledgeable and also partially because many people have no clue they are talking to someone still going through puberty. This is not to attack you, but I like you and find it awesome someone your age has so much dedication and commitment to something, but please please please, DON’T BE A JERK! And this isn’t just you to be sure, but you are the only one I mention because, once again, I like you.

I didn’t know anything about many of these things 2 months ago and I read some things I asked people when I first started researching and it’s fucking embarrassing, but hey, you DON’T know what you DON’T know. And shit, sometimes people want to search for things but don’t even have the base knowledge to know what to even search for. and

Now that I have learned a few things and can answer many of these simpler questions, I’ll start being better about doing my share of helping with these responses, but please let’s stop the elitist bullshit. Elitism and a bunch of mostly middle age dudes playing on electric skateboards and getting into the weeds on the technical aspects of them is a really silly combination…

It’s funny, I have many days of research on this forum, and have had a blast! However, I still wait before posting many things that I think others would find useful/interesting or I am just looking for the answer for something because I don’t want to get the “search flame” stuff.

Thanks @longhairedboy for being here since the beginning putting up with newcomers and never taking that elitist attitude. It’s amazingly refreshing.

8 Likes

although I do agree with most of what you said about me, I don’t really think my age is relevant. I’m fine with helping a 6 year old or a 60 year old. I am aware how much of a privilege this forum is and it is not one that I would ever want to steer people away from.

And yes, I do ramble for hours on end in general chat, but cmon, does it really matter? I will instantly take a break from my rambling if someone asks a question in general chat. but it is just a place for quick, easy questions (where I think these kind of questions should be asked) and chatting with internet friends.

I like to think I am fairly self sufficient (get myself to and from school, cook 2 out of my 3 meals from food that I pay for) so I personally think that if I can do it, anyone can. I am probably just about the most unmotivated person you’ll ever meet.

Anyways, I will say this, I will try to make a change in the way I treat newcomers and people with what I consider basic questions

i’d rather not start beef with anyone on this forum so let’s just stop talking about this now.

6 Likes

Thank you. That means a lot.

3 Likes

Dude, no beef at all. Really. Take it for what it’s worth (not much). :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

yo you know how to fix the general chat?

i have no idea. I thought there would be a way to just truncate it or something. I don’t think i have that power level since i’m not seeing anything in there to do such a thing.

ahaha lol ok. i saw your post but can’t write back :joy:

what do you have against zebras?

1 Like

I did the baking tin enclosure and it’s awesome. Cost me 99 cents.

1 Like