Cheap chargers with customizeable end-of-charge voltage

i checked my evolve charger already before ordering and it didnt. think its just a very lucky find by groetech!

that manufacturer seems to supply for pedelecs and hover boards. think it was just a cheap way for them to supply different end of charge states for different manufacturers of e-vehicles/tools. not everyone wants to charge to 42V, but insteads wants to increase lifetime!

I have the meanwell 48volt and its adjustable without having to mod it. Nice but finicky and for a couple more bucks thereā€™s better ones

This is a nice one for the car

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016ZE6ADU/ref=mp_s_a_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1470370730&sr=8-30&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=48v+charger&dpPl=1&dpID=41C-i5ZXQzL&ref=plSrch

But if u get a bulk charger it canā€™t be for lead acid!!! Donā€™t remember why.

Adjustable current as well? Usually the default current limit is ~130% of the rated power, and the PSU ends up getting fried without the mod.

It has a potentiometer tiny screw that adjusts the voltage and the current follows. Itā€™s been good and if it is pushed to its max of 400watts too long it slows down and I have to twist the little screw

Hereā€™s a whole slew of stuff from tiny to gigantic.

All 48 about (12s)

http://www.trcelectronics.com/48-volt-power-supplies-chassis-6.shtml

How do cells respond to charging or discharging when theyā€™re in series and unbalanced? Does it further distance them or suck more from the weaker? I do the bulk charging and monitoring/balancing and have found stuff stays close a

Ah, thatā€™s the voltage control. Be careful with that. But then again, with a 400 watt power supply you might not need to worry about maxing it out haha.

LiPo cells vary in both capacity and internal resistance, and both factors determine how much power is actually used from each cell. Meaning that it ā€œdistances them furtherā€ and does not ā€œsuck more from the weakerā€ in a series configuration.

In a parallel configuration, the opposite is true. If one cell is a bit over discharged, the other cells will actually charge that cell, meaning it will ā€œsuck more from the weakerā€. There are more risks associated with parallel charging/discharging though.

Iā€™d thought parallel was safer in charging and discharging as any cells that were out of balance are not sucked from but leveled by the parallel cells. No cell can get its voltage above or below its paralleled cells so no risk of it dropping too low or high

In series since the current is forced through every cell I can imagine a cell with higher resistance will get warmer and maybe some energy that would be going into that cell is lost and unbalancing could happen that way but how could series cells become unbalanced. And on discharge the higher resistance cell will get warmer and waste and maybe it snowballsā€¦warmer increases resistance and less current can flow

What if one of your cells went kaput? Then all of your other cells would get drained, and they would go kaput as well. Tesla solves this problem by putting a fuse on each cell, and in case a cell accidentally shorts, the fuse blows, and saves the rest of the cells. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s unsafe, Iā€™ve done it before, you just really need to understand the risks and proceed accordingly.

Thatā€™s pretty much how it works. The internal resistance introduces a voltage drop as well, which means that the cell wonā€™t get charged as much. And the same thing happens when you charge them.

1 Like

What does happen if one of ur parallel or series cells goes kaput?
(Kaput being a state with low ability to hold a charge, greatly decreasing the energy it could hold, and if charged solo it would hit max charge and max discharge faster than a healthy cell)

My guess isā€¦in a parallel arrangement all cells must have the same voltage soā€¦yea all the cells in parallel would have their voltages dropping quick on discharge and raised quickly on charging. Not dangerous but less of the parallel cells capacity would be usable even though all those cells would be good. Safe but lame storage performance from pack

In seriesā€¦a kaput cell is going to be forced to low and high voltages and dangerous but wonā€™t decrease the pack performance really. What u think?

Have you measured the lowest voltage it will charge at?

The cell could self-discharge itself and other cells that are connected in parallel. Honestly, weā€™re kind-of going off topic now.

Im back on topic. I do like to wander from topic though sorry. Hereā€™s my single cell lipo charger converted from my phone charger. Just made it. Working. I only had one low cell and balancing by discharging wouldā€™ve been a waste. full voltage is 5.2 though so have to watch it. non-adjustable, but hoping someone can tell me how to adjust it.

since it charges at 5.2 and stated to charge 700ma and Iā€™m connecting it to my battery at 3.2 volts will the current be more than if it was at 4.2? current decreasing as the voltages get closer? could you charge a single cell with a 50 volt charger if you decreased the amps a lot? Iā€™ll have to figure the current with my multimeter. I guess just switch to current. ā€¦tried that and am reminded that my mulitmeter current meter is broken. probably by me

and why would anyone charge to 5.2? Iā€™ve seen a lot of odd higher numbers for phones.

Open it up and see whatā€™s inside. If there are any chips that look like this: that might be the control chip, and you might be able to Google the part number and see how the voltage is adjusted (usually via resistors). Then, you might be able to change the resistors to match 4.2v. Be careful!

Edit: Also, if the case is heat-sealed, you can pour gasoline (Iā€™m not kidding here) into the crack, wait a bit, then it will open freely. Gasoline tends to weaken/eat through a lot of plastics.

can i use the single cell charger at the same time as charging everything in series at the main leads to 50v? iā€™m guessing yes but would like to be sure.

getting lazy iā€™ll likely just find a 4.2 volt charger. I dont have any resistors around.

@whitepony it seems the websites only option is in German, do the ship to the US or is there a way to get one of these chargers to the US?

like I said, the manufacturer is modiary and I think its this charger: http://m.alibaba.com/product/60451408649/Electric-Tool-Lithium-Battery-Charger-42V.html

youll probably find it somewhere else too!

1 Like

Something like this would be nice because I want to go 11s

Is the Ajustable ā€œPotiā€ in the middle picture the small Yellow knob ??

yea :slight_smile:

1 Like

DROK:

Numerical Control Voltage Regulator DC 8-60V to 10-120V 15A Boost Converter, Constant Voltage Current Step Up Module Adjustable Output 48V 24V 12V DC Power Supply with LED Display

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GFVI6R6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_j3lRxb0CND1GD

1 Like

Have you tried a range test at 40.5 V to see the diffefence in range ?