Cheap Ass 6x2 Pneumatic Belt Setup. 3D printed Pulley/ Vex Versa Pulley. Thingiverse link in post #534

Helicals need perfect alignment. Axiel load = wasted power and should have a thrust bearing. Precision square cut in oil are stronger, more efficient, more forgiving, and quiet enough. Good luck with Helicals.

3 Likes

same tyres, before his huge markup :smile:

1 Like

25 Just sayin.

6 Likes

with double helical you lose the advantage of always having two teeth in contact simultaneously because at a reasonable gear angle you donā€™t reach the required teeth length as the total gear length is limited.

I am going to order 4 of them. For German people: keep in mind taxes above a value of 25ā‚¬ --> ordering 4 individual tires is better than ordering a set of 4 as shipping is free regardless :wink:

4 Likes

good point, as long as they donĀ“t just trow them all together and handle it as one order

Then itā€™s not what I ordered and Iā€™d try to get AliExpress to handle the dispute - should end with me getting my money back. Yay free tires :wink:

You could also just order one for each of your imaginary pets that live with you in the same house.

I think iĀ“ll give them a go too for the Hummie deck :slight_smile: So letĀ“s wait for the discount to pop up!

I added a spoke version of the pulley to save some material while 3D printing. I donā€™t know how well it will hold though. Haha. 50T_spoke

6 Likes

Nice sale on AliExpress: the 15% off sale started but you can only buy tires without the hub. Also shipping is not free anymore :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Edit: wait a second. The AliExpress cart showed me the wrong product. With the link in the first post you can indeed order with reduced price.

1 Like

Link in case the other one is not working.

1 Like

Just ordered! @Maxid thx for reminding me :wink: LetĀ“s wait for them to arrive and have some of you 3D Artists get a good ABS printable file up here to use for a pulley :grin:

You should go for gear drive :wink: https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-use-pm/2992/6645?u=maxid

3 Likes

Just ordered one to see how it is, dunno what to expect but they look cool for the price

Whatā€™s your initial impression?

Well right now I am just glad the design fits. Will have to test and see if the gears can withstand the forces and actually work. But itā€™s a fun project and I get better at CAD

Edit: also itā€™s just so compact :heart_eyes: 1535393033720869308734235538360 15353930864989116780560354111299

6 Likes

Figured I would give a small update on the oneā€™s Iā€™m working on since I have a similar goal to you (cheap effective pneumatics). I 3D printed all the hubs, and the back right wheel has a slight wobble due to me tightening the plastic a little too much (easy fix by printing another wheel). Iā€™m waiting for my belt to come in to do a real road test with them, however for pushing around they seem to do the job just fine.

Tires I used (They were on sale for $5.31 each last time I checked with that prime shipping): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N6BR3A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice. Do you have more pics of how your rim is assembled, your pulley etc. You are welcome to post all the updates here.

Some people generally have a vendetta against cheap stuff but it might just be a little misplaced if the product is actually of good quality. SpaceX has reduced cost of launches by 5-6 times and now itā€™s gearing to dominate the market. Itā€™s not like the clients are saying that oh itā€™s cheap itā€™s bad.

Iā€™ll post the STL files and solidworks models once Iā€™ve tested the design and made sure itā€™s 100% safe (should be finished up by the end of this week). Until then, Iā€™ll post a picture of the solidworks assembly, and a close up of the wheels. It uses 6x M6 55mm bolts for the wheel+pulley, and 40mm bolts for just the wheel. These wheels fit on standard caliber 2 trucks.

These pictures Iā€™m posting only have the 3 bolts in the wheel (I was just sizing at the time). The ones I actually have on my board right now use all 6 bolts. Bearings were pressed into place using the butt of a metal utility flashlight. One crucial thing about this design is that you donā€™t overtighten the bolts as it will crush the plastic and cause the wheel to wobble due to unbalance. If 100% effort was brute strength tightening, you only use about 5-10% effort to tighten the nut/bolt against the plastic.

IMG_0815%20(3)IMG_0813%20(3)IMG_0814%20(3)

5 Likes

They actually look legit af.

Fair play man, looking forward to seeing where this goes

1 Like