Cheap Ass 6x2 Pneumatic Belt Setup. 3D printed Pulley/ Vex Versa Pulley. Thingiverse link in post #534

How free the bearings became after lathing? If they are loose it beats the purpose of press-in ball bearings… Bearings should have their shroud pressed in for the best performance. If they rotate it might just eat at the bearing slot during heavier loads, even add axial forces too…

1 Like

I would agree. Max I would sand it a bit to make it a tad bit easier. Who carries spare bearings in back packs anyways. If going to events, one can take tools to replace them. I have replaced TB6355 bearing twice and they were all pressed fit.

1 Like

I did with my 3D printed wheels, but gladly I didn’t ever need them. :smiley:

Point taken. Mine are still a tight fit… a tap out rather than press out. The ones I removed needed a proper puller and a ridiculous amount of force.

And I take 2 spare bearings cause why not. Replaced shitty bearings in my old PU wheels on 2 occasions that would have been a long walk…

Sanding a bearing seat is a bad idea…

What kind of puller you used? I am not tempted to hammer the bearing out a lot.

I made one to fit the rim. If you have a vice and some spacers you could press it out?

Yeah, I will do just that. For pressing in I guess I will just use some huge washers and a M8 bolt. :smiley:

1 Like

Would you have a photo? I have been hammering them out and in, although with a wooden mallet.

My puller is at work… won’t be there for another 10 days but I’ll post a pick when I’m back…

Just took my wheels for a testspinn, damn those wheels have resistance. Normally i can roll my street down without pushing and keep getting faster, but these wheels are going nowhere. Maybe it is the bad bearings. How are your experiences?

1 Like

I definitely found they have a fuckload of resistance, haven’t changed the bearings yet but I hope changing them will help

I can confirm that the resistance is due to the thick grease they use. They give you more resistance but require less attention. If you want less resistance then put some wd40 in there and let is dissolve the thick grease.

I made a spool mount for 3D printer using 608 bearings and they didn’t let the spool holder rotate freely. So I soaked them in wd40 for 30mins and bam they became totally free.

2 Likes

WD40 is mostly kerosene and light oil. Has a teeerible reputation as a lubricant on things like bearings :slight_smile: Usually you’d need to flush it out with alcohol then apply the lube of your choice.

What I’m trying to say is if you WD40, make sure you add some lube, maybe more than once.

2 Likes

of course. I only used it on the 3d printer spool is because it’s not going to see much speed or load.

For the skateboard I let it be because, I don’t think in larger scheme of things, there are not a significant source of loss. Hummie also uses a very thick grease in his hub motors for increasing longevity of the bearings.

If someone changes the bearing, it would be nice for them to report back if they have significantly increased range.

I swapped out the bearings after hammering the original ones out (already slightly rusty), grinding down the beating seat a little and popping in new bearings.

IMG20180906170702 I used a nut and bolt to hammer it out from the inside of the hub. A few good wacks was all it took.

I should have used a lathe but didn’t have one on hand.

Wheels turned with a lot less resistance but I doubt I got much more range with it as the Tyre still have a high rolling resistance.

Also, popping in a new bearing without grinding down the seat was near impossible. I managed to hammer one in but it basically seized and wouldn’t turn.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. Most of the losses would come from the hysteresis of the tire, reduced pressure and large contact patch area. Of course, if the bearing is rusted you replace it but otherwise, no point.

1 Like

Extremely bad for me… Going down hill was like having brake assist on. Trying to push the board manually (no gears at all) was near impossible… pushed about 10m then gave up.

I have since changed to Haggy wheels instead.

1 Like

Basically WD 40 is often mystaken as a lubricant When it’s not, it works well for loosening things up but get actual lubricant for bearings like bones speed cream to keep them working the best they can be! :wink:

Has anyone bought the Haggy tyres and tried them with the AliExpress hubs and tubes? I know that it’s been confirmed that the tyres fit the hubs but not sure if the cheap tubes will work, would rather not buy more