Cheap Ass 6x2 Pneumatic Belt Setup. 3D printed Pulley/ Vex Versa Pulley. Thingiverse link in post #534

You can print PETG just about with a stock Tarantula, keep it at 240c and the Bowden tube will be alright, buy quality filament, no enclosure needed

I mean, you could. But I wouldn’t trust my life on PETG being printed at 240’C. If it’s winter and room is colder, layer adhesion will be below tolerable, hell, even layer splitting can appear.

I am talking about real PETG, not PET. That stuff(PETG) is recommended to print at 250’C+. I got best results at 255’C, but it also depends on your hotend, thermistor, nozzle, speed, either you use a silicone sock for the heater block, active cooling is through the roof, etc.

Source: been printing prototypes for companies for well over a few years now.

Example prints done using converted anycubic with PETG at 255’C: 21 15 52 (Don’t mind the pet hair, I am a Disney princess xD)

Stringing? Nah.

All this sounds way too complicated for me, I think I’ll just stick with ABS for now

ABS is way more complicated. Way more. PETG is the friendliest filament you can print. It’s just fiddly to get right. Unlike ABS that is outright a spawn from hell.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t even know where to begin when it comes to having the right hotend and all that jazz. Still very much new to the 3D realm

Feel free to ask in PM if you want. There are direct extruder/full metal conversions for the ender. I have a colleague who bought it. Seems to have a bit of specific issues to the roller design, like flat rollers and vibrations, but he is getting there.

Also printing ABS below 255’C sounds bad to me too… Unless you acetone vapor treat it afterwards to bind the model as much as you can. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Currently printing it at 240c, they aren’t the best results but overall its better than nothing. Will experiment with some slightly higher temps and see what happens

1 Like

Please do not raise your temperature above 240’C with your default setup. PTFE(bowden) charring smells bad and is extremely toxic. :confused:

Recommendations for where my first upgrades should be going?

I would go for the full metal hotend or even titan aero extruder system if you have the bucks and are not afraid to get your hands/mind dirty with custom firmware. Also grabbing a BLTouch would help immensely(who doesn’t love automatic bed leveling?). Also means more firmware. All parts can be purchased as either clones(the titan aero, 3DTouch) or legit(ender3 full metal hotend) from AliExpress or related stores.

I will ask my colleague which full metal hotend he got later.

I’d still rather go for a direct approach as full metal has another issue, it might clog like hell during retractions. With bowden you have your tube inserted almost to the opening of the nozzle, this allows you to do ridiculous retractions like 5-10mm without problems. This also means if you go above the melting/charring point of the tube, you will get some nasty particles around…

With full metal it(the bowden tube) ends at the “throat”(the heatbreak) that connects the hot part with your nozzle to the heatsink, keeping the incoming plastic sturdy enough, to be melted later. This introduces a small gap between the tube and the metal, which might end up with swelling of the filament and eventual jam when doing retractions >2mm.

Clarification: direct uses full metal, but not that much retraction, like up to 1mm

I mean this could be useful information for everyone, but I don’t know. If it doesn’t hurt anyones eyes, I will continue to help/explain here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have printed in PETG yes PETG many times successfully at 238-242 without an all metal hotend on multiple printers. The filament is all important, the room temp not so much as it doesn’t warp like ABS, ABS+ is a little better in that regard

1 Like

Charing occurs above 244c but yes any inaccuracies of the thermistor and it will start to degrade, I use cornacopia knock-off from AliExpress with good results & it’s cheap

Best to stay out of the room and vent it afterwards if worried

1 Like

I did not say you couldn’t. I am also saying it’s superior to ABS. Have you tested the layer adhesion with a tension, torsion, impact testing equipment? You’d be surprised what kind of performance PETG gains at those temperatures.

Hell, I’ve been riding PRINTED wheels for 300+ kilometers. 20% infill, PETG.

42 21 30 09

I am just talking from experience. 255’C prints is minimum strength I can accept by now.

Oh yeah, the motor mount is printed too… From PETG. :smiley:

And this is how it looked like after I replaced the mount and the motor(5045 with 100 kilos is a no-no). Wheels still printed and heavily used:

3 Likes

I got a all metal hotend for $9 or so awhile ago, but have to replace it. I have been printing Sunlu PETG(from amazon) at 245C, seems good so far, but if 255 given better performance then why not. What brand filament do you use?

I am amazed that the mounts and wheels are holding up.

I am using the cheapest, but for sure “pure” PETG from Poland “DevilDesign” for 10€/kilo. People say it’s complete garbage. I say that people who say that are complete garbage and can’t dial their settings. :smiley: (this is a joke, pls no offenses)

This is how a 6mm by 50mm pillar should look after breaking:

impact

If it breaks at layer lines or you see perimeter/infill spacing inside, it’s not bonded properly.

THIS is what you want. Complete adhesion. Solid.

This is how ABS cylinder should look like for giggles:

B E N D Y B O Y E

4 Likes

Could you Print wheels from Pla If settings are richtig?

No, you shouldn’t. Imagine the friction and centripetal forces you will get. It will MELT your rims faster than you can jump off your board at the “oh FUCK!” moment.

Glass transition(softening) temperature of PLA is ~60’C, PETG ~90’C depending on purity and additions, ABS ~105’C, etc.

My wheels used PETG for the rims and TPU(Thermo Plastic Urethane) for the tires.

3 Likes

[quote=“murloc992, post:377, topic:65559”] Have you tested the layer adhesion with a tension, torsion, impact testing equipment? [/quote] No I do not have access to that type of equipment, just real world testing and my results are the same with pullies but with lower printing temps 242c and 25% iirc

1 Like

I am glad it is, pulleys get surface load though, so there’s not much trouble the teeth will wear out fast or break.

I am just stating the best strength you can get if you really want the most of your filament. 242’C in a cold environment would make my skin go full on goosebumps if I had to use it in a loaded/critical situation, it just doesn’t adhere much…

For comparison, I could break the 6mm cylinder printed at 240’C with my hands before.

Later at 248’C I had to use pliers, then at 255’C equipment with a vice grip, because I couldn’t make it bend much even using two pairs of pliers and my table as support edge.

It’s all up to the needs of an individual.

2 Likes

1 Like