Cheap anti spark kill switch idea. will it work?

To be honest I hate the idea of a loop key just because of how “janky” it looks

IMO there are many ways to mount it so it looks clean and professional but again, that is just by opinion.

I tried using a similar auto breaker switch when I did my first build. They work but not for long. Because there are points inside that come together to make the connection and they get arcing everytime you turn it on. On mine the spring bar that holds the points together got weak from heat and I started loosing connection while riding. These type of switches are not meant to be turned on and off repeatedly. They’re meant to stay on all the time as an overload breaker. If you want cheap, an anti-spark loop key is really the only option.

2 Likes

So i ended up going with the xt90 anti spark… yes much simpler to setup . Soldered bullet connectors on the xt90 for easy unplugingfor charging

and figured out how to unplug and plug easier for charging

This is my build btw a mini electric skateboard

1 Like

Good choice for an inexpensive but dependable solution.

2 Likes

Every time you push that button and those contact points snap together, there is electrical arcing between them. It won’t be as damaging at 6s but at 12s it wears them out real fast.

been running it for 3 years daily mate. no issues.

(given it is only rated to 24V I probably wouldnt recomend it for 12S)

Ok, I never tried them on low voltage. Only on 12s which when it sparks it goes bang! when I took it apart to see, the points where fried.

I think what you did does not prevent the spark. Your xt90s is plugged in already, so the small resistor won´t protect the connection!

The way the xt90s works is: If you plug it in, the first contact is through a resistor, which only allows a small current to close the circuit and prevent a spark that way, which is normally caused by higher voltage. That all happens fast and you should not leave a xt90s this way for too long, because it will melt down due to the current trying to keep going through the small resistor. And finally you reach the end position while plugging in, so the resistor is bridged and the current can flow.

So use the connector itself to close the circuit!

nah it will work. so what he does is hold down the button with the resistor that connects the circuit preventing any spark when he switches the breaker on. that way the points on the breaker dont wear out. @nimbuskate 's solution will work perfectly. oh wait… did he not end up doing that?? how did he go from a really elegant solution to cutting an XT90 in half?

Only works if he cuts the connector with the resistor on one side and the matching socket on the other side i think. Otherwise you´ll have a constant flow and no spark will be surpressed

I liked the breaker, resistor and push button from the OP, that would work well for higher than 6S. hell for 6S you wouldnt even need the resistor.

and I dont see any reason for cutting the connector in half.

On my 6s with the Xcar i´m not using an antispark neither. I think most Car Esc won´t have any problem with a little 6s spark. Same thing for the connectors - I´m using 5,5mm bullets and they are totaly fine after lot´s of sparky zipps :slight_smile: I´d be much more carefull with higher voltage and vesc though!

I cut the xt90 in half so it didnt take more force to plug it in… lol

i cut the xt90 in half so only the negative is connected only… the positive side is still unpluged.

sound like you have to to some workout mate :grin: Think about if it´s too lose it will come of with a few vibrations. Better to have it sit tight

I didn’t find the XT90-S hard to plug in myself… I do agree with @TarzanHBK that it should be tight though, you don’t want tit coming unplugged mid-ride.

If anyone else is looking at this, I’ve had a 100A fuse exactly like nimbuskate for 2 years, at 8s, no anti-spark, and it’s totally great (and cheap!). BUT: that red switch fell off the little nub it’s attached to. It’s only held on with friction. If you buy a similar unit, pull the switch off (not the button), add glue, put it back. You also need to spray the mechanism with air regularly or it won’t spring back to the off position without some coaxing. It’s cheap for a reason.