🏁 Channel Trucks

Thats just the direction mountainboards have taken their trucks.

Longboard channel trucks do tend to have their angles built into the baseplate just like any other longboard truck.

Its just something mountainboards picked up because it works well with the larger pneumatic tires, and allows you to get a dropped deck in a more compact way. As long as you’re sticking with drop decks its not a bad way to go, but you’re stuck with pretty significant drop to make it work.

With boarding more and more going with topmount decks with large drops being more and more niche, I would say probably wouldn’t be a bad thing for channel trucks to start to ditch having the pivot angle built into the deck, and build it into the baseplates instead, even with larger wheels.

2 Likes

quote=“Nate, post:41, topic:83793”] Personally, I like the channel trucks and have taken mine up tp o 43mph. [/quote] Would like to see some video of that.

Making a channel to bolt up on a conventional longboard without riser mods would be a have to. Looks like a lot to be changes to be made and tested. A dedicated powered board Channel truck. I think it’s worth making.

1 Like

I’m recovering from an injury but I’d be happy to record that for you when I’m better. I’ve actually had several high speed ride with Tishawn on his unicycle :joy:

Definitely, I can see the benefit. It’ll be even better if it can stay low to the ground for lower center of gravity. Just having the option of changing the strength of the springs and dampas, channel trucks has the potential of being great for track racing.

2 Likes

I really like trampa’s trucks. I also don’t plan to go anywhere past 40 or race with it, but I have gotten it up to 38 mph without wobbles on a Kaly. @Nanorider was next to me and was going even faster also on a Kaly probably ~40 granted I did tighten up the rear end before I go but fast-ish speed is possible while still having stability. I also need 4 lanes to turn when I have the back tightened up :smiley:

Found screenshot of the run. GPS data followed pretty closely with vesc data minus that part where it crapped out. Will post csv file if I find it

1 Like

So here’s a truck I’ve been working on lately, which are channel trucks.

These aren’t Eskate worthy at all, obviously, since they’re being 3D printed still and have that super narrow hanger.

But these are 35/30 baseplates.

And then way back I helped make Other Planet Trucks.

They’re channel trucks as well, but the baseplate is only 17 deg.

I’ve personally taken a pair of these up to 40, and on Luge they’ve broken 100 and placed at maryhill in 09 or something.

Making something dedicated for Eskate should be super doable, because channel trucks are SOOO easy to make. In my mind the only real hurdle is figuring out how to make a good system for resistance.

6 Likes

Do you have video of your ill fated attempt to go 25+mph on channel trucks?

I am actually curious though- have you spent much time on one of these types of boards? I mean no disrespect, it’s just that you’ve thrown out some pretty hard opinions a few times on this topic, yet have been the most vocal to demand that others bear the burden of proof.

I am stoked if you’re interested in experimenting with this style of board. Ultimately, I have a lot of fun on mine which is the main reason I ride. I look forward to seeing what your experience brings.

Never owned a set. But have ridden a few different trampa bulds and a the Laquoix. Helped a guy out speed testing trampa channels. Here are some statement links from my buddy from when he testing.

My experience so far with Trampa builds is similar. They arent stable above 25mph. My buddy has a 16ply 4wd and hits 30mph+ regularly but definitely looks wiggly at those speeds.

Yeah my current trampa gets squirmy about 30mph. Should be a fun project to try some different things on to improve highspeed stability (wedges under baseplate to change truck angle, rigid enclousure to stiffen deck, custom spring inserts/dampas).

Lots of wobbling on my Trampa at 50kph. The right dampas and spring tension settings will help but they seem inherently less stable than regular longboards

Im near 50mph(80kph) on my wood deck with zero wobbles so I definitely feel like its a function of the deck and trucks as opposed to riding technique. Im 6’2" so I already have my feet as far aprt and forward as possible and I dont have straps on the trampa Im referring too. The decks are super flexible and high off the ground. All really flexible decks seem to wobble prone above 50kph from experience.

Im gonna try this weekend on pneumatics actually. Just a 1st attempt on a board thats totally not suited for going over 40mph but has the gearing and power to break 60mph easily. Im hoping to at least break my own top speed of 49mph but even that seems sketchy on this board. Should be good fun either way.

Yea, be careful out there. That board was scary to me. Watching you hit the pavement at 15 mph was not pretty, I don’t want to see it at 60…

If any board could do it though, it would be that. Did you ever get the settings dialed in?

My 25hp trampa couldmt break 40mph without the wobbles despite taking most of the rear truck angle out and tightening the springs all the way down into the stiffest white dampas.

Ive seen the elastomers but I think my set up will need more than that to be stable at high speed. With the springs cranked down on the white dampas the board was super stiff, but the vertical and torisonal flex of the trampa deck still made it very unstable above 35mph. The sketchiest part is letting off the throttle. The slight shift forward onto the front causes a bounce that easily turns into a wobble. A rigid deck is must if I wanna try for top speed on this drive train set up again.

2 Likes

Aren’t flame’s dirtpipe similar? image

1 Like

But Darrel is a pretty big guy though. My deck is 16 ply and I’m 170lb, at high speed I’ve had no problem doing jumps at 35+mph. There’s even a video of it by Tishawn from the DC trip. But when I was carrying an extra 35-40 lb, AKA my spud build with trampa trucks, the deck was wobbly at ~25mph.

And I think it takes a while to get used to Trampa build especially with high speed & high torque. Just needs a lot of practice.

2 Likes

It’s almost like it’s an entirely different style of board.

@MoeStooge I appreciate that you took the time to compile others accounts. Shall I scroll up and quote the 5-6 people in this discussion that have said 30-40 has been fine?

It’s also worth noting that most of my ESK8 riding miles have been on a LaCroix deck, not a Trampa. They’re 30/30 and have a lower center of gravity.

4 Likes

Ya totally agree on the “entirely different style of board.” part :slight_smile: I hated the trampa platform when I first got it. It took a while but now its my go to for daily commutes since It rides out all the imperfections and crap on the city roads. I can’t comment on the platform being good for racing since I don’t do that but I feel very comfortable with it in the 35mph range on good roads.

3 Likes

Correct me if I am wrong but the trampa decks have no concave so they are going to have a lot of torsional flex.

I have a few pintail decks that I ride when I just want to kick push around town and due to the shape they do not have any concave at the tail. As soon as I start hitting the mid 20’s going downhill the rear end will start oscillating unless I put all my weight forward. If I don’t use my “expirence” and keep my rear foot weighted it will toss me.

In short, get low and lean forward. If you still get wobbles get lower! - D, Engel

This is one of the reasons why I think having FWD eskates is a good thing. It trains people to keep their weight forward over the drive wheels instead of over the rear wheels.

Sloppily putting your weight on the rear is just asking for speed wobbles at near any speed, and if people are used to standing more in the rear to get more traction so the wheels don’t spin out they’re just setting themselves up to not be able to ride fast.

4 Likes

Fwd is something that needs to be discuss more. Not sure if this this the right thread but when you brake, a lot of the braking force is needed to stop the momentum. This is why in motorcycling they always recommend 70/30, with majority of the brake force on the front to stop the vehicle rather than vice versa.

Of course this is true of pneumatic tires rather than urethane but I think @MoeStooge speed board is also fwd.

2 Likes

I’ve ridden Indys for 30+ years, 139,149,159 depending on the era/board and ride trampas for a short time. No dampas up front, yellow in back and springs on inside position. I go under 25 but as long as maintaining a carve one way or the other(never just cruising fast flat) it feels super stable. Surfy/snowboardy. Would go faster but for physical issues right now, can not fall. Just a different take on it and obviously at much slower speed than being discussed.

2 Likes

As an Other Planet fanboy i cant wait to see where you go with this.